Jan 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
Question

LIPO cycling after storage?? no power now, bad batt?

I have an older lipo I haven't used for 2 weeks but it was charged the whole time. I know, I'm an idiot. My question is, I went to use this battery today and it seems worn out now, I lose power fast. Do you think this battery is toast or is it possible I just have to cycle it a handful of times? I've never worried about cycling my lipos, and other than a few things I've heard, I didn't think I had to. It's totally possible also that the lipo is just worn, I have about 200 flights on it and I'm sure leaving it charged for 2 weeks didn't help any.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
200 cycles = probably worn out. Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
Rick
Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
characters welcome!
Cycling doesn't help lithium. That's for Nixx chemistries.
That one is toast. Discharge to zero and dispose.

mw
Jan 18, 2013, 08:56 PM
Cool thanks, that's what I figured, it's a Skylipo. The other Skylipo I had only lasted about 150 flights. I probably abused them both keeping them charged for too long sitting. But it was somewhat worth it to always have a charged batt while learning helis. I take care of my newer gensace's batts though now.

I've heard of some people breaking in new lipo packs with cycles, while most say it's not necessary, I have seen the power difference in a lipo after about 5 charges. I still don't cycle though.
Jan 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
The lifespan of a LiPo depends on time and number of cycles, among other things. They do improve after a couple of cycles, but cycling them, rather than simply flying them, is simply wasting some of their potential life, in my opinion.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
If you got 150-200 cycles out of a Sky Lipo I would be very happy and call it done.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks
Jan 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
Earlier today I started killing this battery with a headlamp setup. It's a 11.1v 2200mah btw. It basically took it down to 0v the first time but rebound to 3.33v. Didn't puff, only got slightly warm. I put it on the headlamp for a while longer and after it was 0v but it's still rebounding slowly. I've done a discharge with a 1s before no problem, soldered the leads afterwards (no spark). Is this 3s battery ready to do the same and dispose? Any advice? I'm not a fan of messing with lipos but want to safe it off.

Also I have another one that's 1000mah that's puffed pretty bad, and I seem to get unreliable readings from the balance plug. Should I try to discharge it? The discharge would be about 2c from the same setup as I used on the 2200mah batt, is this correct? Would that be safe?
Last edited by finguz; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Jan 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malonkevio
Some of the best get 275'ish so buy another any do more of the same.
I hear an echo - is there a problem with my computer?