Jan 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Build Log

EzFly Icon A5; trainer sea plane; maiden video; water flight video added

Here are three things you don't often see in a foamy plane: Trainer, good looking, seaplane.

Official Fancy Foam build photos here.

My flying buddy, motorhead from FancyFoam, has been working on a seaplane version of his popular trainer the EzFly. I suggested that he make it look a bit like the Icon A5 and that I would like to be the first customer. He worked out a very nice design that is easy to put together and very easy to fly. I maidened it this afternoon and so far I am very pleased!!

The flying qualities can best be summed up as "floaty, gentle and forgiving". I have a couple of newbs to train in RC flying and this will be a great plane to teach with.

Motorhead has already done a lot of testing on the floats with a standard EZ Fly. After a little trial and error, the floats worked great and take off from water was effortless.

Below is a video of the actual maiden flight. It was a tad tail heavy, but flew very well. I can't wait for the lakes to thaw so I can do some water take offs.

ezfly icon (1 min 42 sec)
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 27, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Reserved for build photos.

Official Fancy Foam build photos here.

The EzFly is a very popular trainer. Living up to it's name it is EZ to Fly, easy to build and very rugged. There is a thread in the scratch built forum which includes free plans for the original EZ Fly. EzFly thread.

The build is pretty easy, the parts are laser cut so they fit together very well. Most of the airframe is epp; very togh and durable and easy to repair. The float is made from MPF styrene foam and will not soak up water like epp will.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 27, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Jan 15, 2013, 06:03 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
reserved for build details.

Materials:

Foam kit
Beacons FoamTac glue, works on epp and excellent for styrene foams
Optional Welders glue, for epp only, my favorite for hinges.
3M Spray77 glue
9 gram servos, two required
2730-1500 motor
plastic motor stick
Packing tape for float bottom, I used black.
CA for making pushrods
small, 9 to 12 amp esc
480 to 800 mAh 3s battery
5030 3 blade prop up to 7x6 two blade prop
Radio and receiver

The links above are for the cheapest seller overseas. Fancy foam sells all the parts required for this build.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Jan 15, 2013, 08:00 PM
Cute!
What is the wingspan? Would the ~2700kV motor be for a 2S version instead of 3S?
How much for the kit?
Jan 15, 2013, 08:33 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989
Cute!
What is the wingspan? Would the ~2700kV motor be for a 2S version instead of 3S?
How much for the kit?
This is the venerable "Blue Wonder" motor, 1500 kV version. I've used this motor on dozens of different foamy planes. Use for 3s and 2s.

The wing span is 31" . The original EzFly kits sells for $25.00. I think this one will be about the same but the float may add a bit of cost. Motorhead should have the kits available within a week.
Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Looks great Leadfeather,I wish you had some wet water too.Can;t wait for more vids.
Jan 16, 2013, 07:53 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

Design secret, flooded step

In the R&D phase of the float there was a small conflict. With an adequate step for easy take offs, there was too much floatation in the step and the plane was a bit tippy when sitting still on the water or in slow taxi. Motorhead then devised the flooded step idea...brilliant. When still or in slow taxi, the float/step fills with water and the plane lowers slightly to a very stable and adequate displacement. During the take off run, the step quickly drains, the plane easily climbs up on the step and then practically takes off by itself.

This design also simplifies the build. No floats to painstakingly seal. No worries about leaks.
Jan 16, 2013, 09:09 AM
above us only sky
Interesting. Initial reaction reminded me of an old line from Berta in two and a half men: "You can roll a turd in powdered sugar, but that doesn't make it a jelly donut." Which is way too harsh for this excellent model, as it serves a specific purpose.

Maybe more like putting an apple sticker on your dell?

Anyway, if I couldn't fly a "real" model Icon, I might try this. Then again, I prefer flying to building. Probably I'd just do what I did and smack up the more scale thing learning, then buy another. And another...

So not only am I addicted (to the Icon), but apparently I'm a snob about it. So sorry.

Nice work though and good luck with your design.
Jan 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield
Interesting. Initial reaction reminded me of an old line from Berta in two and a half men: "You can roll a turd in powdered sugar, but that doesn't make it a jelly donut." Which is way too harsh for this excellent model, as it serves a specific purpose.

Maybe more like putting an apple sticker on your dell?

Anyway, if I couldn't fly a "real" model Icon, I might try this. Then again, I prefer flying to building. Probably I'd just do what I did and smack up the more scale thing learning, then buy another. And another...

So not only am I addicted (to the Icon), but apparently I'm a snob about it. So sorry.

Nice work though and good luck with your design.
Yep, this one is probably not for the Icon-noisseur...it is not a scale model of the Icon.

It is a great trainer, piece of cake to fly.
Adding water capable is the "icing on the cake".
Looking a bit like an Icon A5 is the "cherry on top".
Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076
Looks great Leadfeather,I wish you had some wet water too.Can;t wait for more vids.
The pond is thawing, low winds predicted for Saturday. I hope to do the water maiden and get some footage tomorrow.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
I cannot wait to see the water vid!
Jan 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP

Water maiden

The water maiden flight went very well. There was a little wind coming over the houses behind me making the air a little bumpy and the wind was a bit off shore but no worries. Take off and land directly into the wind and it almost does all the flying itself. In fact it will weather van into the wind on its own.

If you taxi with any cross wind the upwind wing will lift... as expected from an RET (rudder elevator throttle) type of plane.

As a low wind or no wind plane/trainer I think this design will be one of the easiest water planes to fly.

Icon A5 water maiden (1 min 33 sec)
Jan 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
That jumps out of the water pretty quick,nice.Thanks LF,Any word on when Mike will have kit's/or plans available?
Jan 21, 2013, 11:45 PM
Winging it Ò>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076
That jumps out of the water pretty quick,nice.Thanks LF,Any word on when Mike will have kit's/or plans available?
I talked to Mike earlier today. He wants to make a few minor tweaks to the design and then it should be ready for release...probably about a week??

I'm using a really small prop at this time 5030. Still has plenty of power for water take off. The float design really surfs up on the water with little effort.
Jan 23, 2013, 06:27 AM
I was able to shoot a short water video last night. The wind was calm so I had allot of fun on the water.
EzFlly Icon 2 (2 min 0 sec)

Mike

Quick Reply