Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Discussion

4 servo Wing Biplane on a DX8

I've been doing some research on how to set up the servos on a 1/5 Waco Biplane and have been getting conflicting opions. I have a AR8000 rx, and I have it set up now as a 2 servo wing and a 2 servo elevator. The rudder is a pull/pull on 1 channel. I have my kill switch on the gear channel and the aileron on the top wing on one channel with a Y and the lower wing on another channel with another Y which uses all the channels I have on the RX. The DX8 doesn't support 4 servo wings and I wouldn't have enough channels anyway. The servos are HS625mg's except the rudder is a hs5965mg. I know I can use matchbox's with would be another $150 for 2. What is the down side of using 2 Y's on the wings. Each control surface has 1 servo so there won't be 2 fighting each other. The HS625mg servos are analog servos
Last edited by FloridaFlyBob; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by 600Bob
The only advantage I can see to using the matchbox is the ability to fine tune subtrim and endpoints but I doubt there would be enough difference to matter. I would just use the Y.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:55 AM
Thanks bob, I didnt think with 8 channels i would need more, but 18 would be nice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
I've been doing some research on how to set up the servos on a 1/5 Waco Biplane and have been getting conflicting opions. I have a AR8000 rx, and I have it set up now as a 2 servo wing and a 2 servo elevator. The rudder is a pull/pull on 1 channel. I have my kill switch on the gear channel and the aileron on the top wing on one channel with a Y and the lower wing on another channel with another Y which uses all the channels I have on the RX. The DX8 doesn't support 4 servo wings and I wouldn't have enough channels anyway. (deleted)
Remenber, that when a transmitter supports a 4 servo wing that refers to a wing with 4 servos operating the following surfaces........ left aileron, left flap, right flap, right aileron. It doesn't mean a biplane with 2 left ailerons, and 2 right ailerons.

Ken
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
I set up my pitts python just as you have and have never had an issue lower on a channel and the upper wing on another...I am a Futaba guy I think I am 1 and 6
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Gas Only
I fly a GP Giant Aeromaster with a DX8. I run all 4 ailerons on a single channel with a double "Y". I fly most everyday for several months and never had a problem with it.
BTW, the servos are HS 625mg's
Last edited by Fokker DII; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by jetmech05
You can fly off of a single channel.....but with two channels if you loose a y you still have some ailerons
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by edwin1
I use dual Y's on my sig sundancer, 4 servo ailerons. Works fine. But I also do it using a split power bus. The servos are on a separate battery. Receiver has a dedicated battery. No ignition, G-62 mag.
Edwin
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
You can fly off of a single channel.....but with two channels if you loose a y you still have some ailerons
I have the top wing on 1 channel and the bottom wing on the other. I feel safer with 2
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Gas Only
+1. whatever you are most comfortable with works best for you.