Jan 14, 2013, 01:44 AM
Resistance is futile
Thread OP
Discussion

Maiden flight for my champ

Hey everybody. I just bought a Champ a couple of days ago and took it out for its maiden flight today. This is my first time with a plane. I usually do cars, trucks and boats. I have been practicing on my Realflight system at home on the computer and felt confidant and ready for the real thing. Oh Boy! Was I ever wrong! Real life flight is not like the simulator AT ALL!
I was impressed how easily the plane took off. I hand launched it because the field had really tall grass. (hard to roll on) I flew her for about a minute and a half and lost control while trying to set the trims. She took a nose dive and I pulled her up hard, but there was no response. She hit the ground hard and broke the right wing off at the fuse plate and the prop and spinner were seperated from the fuse as well.
The repairs will be easy and inexpensive, but I learned that once in flight, I should probably throttle back to about the middle when making adjustments.
I read a thread on this board about people having range problems with there stock champs. I am wondering if that is what happened to me. She was pretty far from me when this happened.
Either way, I now know "The walk of shame". LOL I just wanted to share. Thanks for listening and keep em in the air!
Latest blog entry: Spring time changes
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 01:50 AM
No shame brother. You did well. 1.5 minutes is better than most. Now you figured out to cut throttle once airborne. You are on your way. Fly the Sim some more.
Jan 14, 2013, 02:56 AM
Those mirco means to fly at close distance, and you are right, half throttle is good for triming. I just busted my Mini Cessna today.

Edmond
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:47 AM
biggles uk
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while biggles uk edits it.
Jan 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y
Those mirco means to fly at close distance, and you are right, half throttle is good for triming. I just busted my Mini Cessna today.

Edmond
Hey Edmond,

How and why did the Mini Cessna crash? Is it repairable?
Jan 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
Hey Edmond,

How and why did the Mini Cessna crash? Is it repairable?
Ah I am good at repair but this time need some more time.

Edmond
May 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
Resistance is futile
Thread OP
Well guys, second flight for the Champ today. (memorial day)
Finally got up the nerve to try again. The wind was a big problem. It didn't look windy at home, but it sure was at the open field at the park!
I remembered to keep the throttle at about half and she was airborne and doing good, UNTIL... Big wind push and she turned up on her tail and started walking backwards while heading straight for a very large oak tree.
I banked hard to the right and down came the nose in in a clockwise turn. She was facing directly into the wind and did a complete loop before I trimmed the throttle down and attempted a landing. I got her safely to the ground and turn off the throttle. The whole plane was shimmering and dancing on the ground from the wind. Then a direct head on wind started spinning the prop with no power applied ! I thought I saw her trying to taxi just from the wind driven propwash. Nah...couldn't be I told myself. Once I got to her, I picked it up for the carry back to its box. During the walk, the prop continued to spin from the headwind.
Not a disaster, but still not much flight time or much fun. Mostly a lot of fear! LOL I might try again on a calmer day. That sure did get the adrenaline flowing though! I might not be giving up on the flying thing yet. If I can keep her safe under these conditions, there might be hope for me yet!
May 28, 2013, 02:44 AM
Retired
Too much wind, pack it up for the day until u get some flying time under your belt. I know easier said than done though!
May 28, 2013, 03:20 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Well as a matter of fact, its better to rip the wings of the Champ and glue them. Afterwards, run a piece of tape from on wing-tip to the other on the leading edge. Once I did that, it was really bullet-proof!
May 28, 2013, 07:20 PM
keep working on it and you will soon love to fly it..If the wind is kiting your champ or pushing it backwards give some down elevator to push through the wind. Down meaning your right stick is pushing up. I sent my son a champ in Vero beach this past xmas wrote him a detailed sheet of instructions. Told him to read manual and watch on youtube on flying it. He lost it on his maiden in the wind.ugggh
May 28, 2013, 08:13 PM
Resistance is futile
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio
keep working on it and you will soon love to fly it..If the wind is kiting your champ or pushing it backwards give some down elevator to push through the wind. Down meaning your right stick is pushing up. I sent my son a champ in Vero beach this past xmas wrote him a detailed sheet of instructions. Told him to read manual and watch on youtube on flying it. He lost it on his maiden in the wind.ugggh
Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear that your son lost his to the wind. I think the champ will be a good starter plane once I find the right day to fly it. I was surprised how well it responded even in gusting winds. I can see how easily one could lose it in the wind. Good thing it is inexpensive.
May 28, 2013, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfxr
Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear that your son lost his to the wind. I think the champ will be a good starter plane once I find the right day to fly it. I was surprised how well it responded even in gusting winds. I can see how easily one could lose it in the wind. Good thing it is inexpensive.
If your up high enough..your big tree in the yard...I talking 100 ft up.. Drop throttle and steer her in..no throtlle till 10 feet off the ground...take her up and do the same tilll you get used to flying her.once you get used to it is a really fun plane to fly.
May 29, 2013, 07:24 AM
I bought a Champ as my first plane. I have flown a few times. I went and bought a Glasair Sportsman but have not flown it yet. Still practising with the Champ.
Gotta love the Champ for all the mistakes it has lived through.

Quick Reply