Jan 14, 2013, 01:36 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Thread OP
Discussion

Turnigy Stadium King 2wd 1/10 RTR Truggy review

Turnigy Stadium King 2wd 1/10 RTR Truggy review
AKA ZD racing ZMT-10
When I first saw this on hobbyking, I thought the price was too good to be true, I then read some peoples reviews and opinions on the car but that price was just too good, so I bought it and hoped it was a decent truggy. thankfully it is good. It’s a good vehicle but there is definitely things that need improving on, fortunately the improvements can be easily done by a noob like me. Expect to spend about another $5-15 on this truck on top of what you have already spent. For me it was $145 because of postage.

TEH GOOD:
In a stock form, it’s a fast an agile truggy, the ESC has great brakes and it has plenty of power and speed. I was amazed how fast this was, probably getting 38kmh, I was expecting it to be slow as heck because it has a brushed motor, nimh battery and it is heavy... I get about 10 minute, maybe 15 minute runs out of a fully charged, hot battery but ive never run the battery pack out yet, ill explain why later. It can take on grass and sand well, without to much torque drop, and it has nice features to keep out grass and sand from the guts such as a receiver box, no fan on the ESC, servo shield and a motor guard which I don’t know how to install >.<
Brilliant tyres, couldn’t get any better in my opinion, Great for all surfaces. Super thick plastic all round, big bore shocks, all metal gears cept for the spur) its just a chunky but super simple chassis.
They provide quite a lot in the box! I didn’t get any tools however, the manual stated I would but im not to fussed. Ive got some coming in the mail.
Most traxxas rustler parts will fit

TEH BAD:
Read this part carefully
Okay, lets start with the plastic, yeah I said it was thick, but its brittle, there is a bit off flex but I really need more. Too stiff! -1 point! I haven’t broken anything just yet but a guy on youtube called “junkstuffandthings” broke the front bulkhead by going full speed into a light post. And he has chipped the plastic wheels. get yourself a spare rustler bulkhead.
Its probably just a dud but my cars shockys were horribly stiff, but once you give them a few pumps they loosen up, but will go stiff within seconds. It was hard to drive without any shock absorbers!
I fixed it by disassembling the shocks (took 2 hours to figure out how to do that lol), lubricating everything, oiling everything and replacing the shocky oil with 35w and I poked new holes in the piston. It works like a charm now. 35w shock oil is about $4 from hobbyking
The spur gear is not moulded very well, to much plastic residue and, what do you call it, just plastic stuff on the spur. That was easy to fix, just cut it off with a knife. The slipper is good but the bolt that holds it on binds with the case that covers the gears. Not a worry though I just sanded that a little bit.
And whats this? NO BEARINGS!?!?! Yeah bushing for everything except for the gearbox. That has 2 bearings in it. Oh well nothing wrong with that.
The worst bit though is the motor, it gets WAY TO HOT. Even after a 5 minute run around my street on the road, man I could cook an egg on it. And some bacon, and toast.
Get a 22t pinion, it will be slower but atleast the motor will last longer, im just gonna go with a brushless setup within a few weeks.

TEH UGLY:
The body, from the front atleast, if you take off the spoiler and change the front light stickers, it would be pretty sexy.

OVERALL:
Its good, needs work but maybe I just got a dud. Junkstuffandthings also had problems with his shocks not having oil in them, so buy some shock oil beforehand. Just in case.
Would I recommend this to a noob? No. the plastic is to brittle, I would like to promote this but there is too many out of the box problems. If this were my first car, I would be stumped on what to do... and to afraid to try and fix it. Like I said maybe I just got a dud
Would I recommend this in general? Yes it’s a great value, just buy what I said, rustler front bulkhead, 35w shocky oil and a 22t pinion to keep the motor cool. Or just limit your run times.

DA VIDEO! :
turnigy stadium king 2WD/ZD ZMT10 1/10 trug (1 min 46 sec)

stadium king 2wd moar random driving (1 min 43 sec)

stadium king 2wd EVEN MOAR FPV (2 min 2 sec)

(the ratings have been updated)

Value: 8.5/10

Quality 8/10

Performance 8/10 (for a brushed setup)

UPDATES!!!

3 days after owning this truck, pretty much constant use.

Whenever im not waiting for the included Nimh battery to charge, im driving this truck. I have nothing else to do XD

Despite being just over half as fast as my turnigy 2WD SCT, its still a load of fun to drive.

I have NOT broken anything despite many high speed roll overs and crashes…and flips… I did manage to strip the spur gear a little bit by doing stupid things (trying to drive it up a step which was higher than the front wheels) but im still using the spur gear because the strip is not very deep.

I have done a second water break it, heaps of black particles came out of the motor, im guessing those are either bits of dirt or charred brushes because my motor gets super hot. Although, it is 42c here, I think my run times can be extended in winter.
Overall, after 3 days of use, im impressed. Turns out to be stronger than I first thought, I really like it now. I will upgrade to a very mild brushless system in a month or so however.

Quite slow in tall and soft grass I reckon.

I was expecting the tread-studs on the back tires to ware out on normal road use, but they haven’t as much is i expected, I can tell where ive done doughnuts and sudden braking though, that seems to wear them out.
Last edited by derpron; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 02:25 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Nice review, much better than some I''ve seen lately, with just an unboxing vid with zero comments or so.

Shocks seem to be a thing that "seperates the men from the boys" when it comes to cars. Perhaps these need some modification or just better/different viscosity oil. Or some cheap after market shocks will fit?

38 sounds nice for RTR brushed. But it's estimated speed, and that's tricky to judge. It could be correct though, considering the hot motor it seerms to be geared for speed and less easy on the motor. Are you going to try a different pinion?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jan 14, 2013, 02:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Nice review, much better than some I''ve seen lately, with just an unboxing vid with zero comments or so.

Shocks seem to be a thing that "seperates the men from the boys" when it comes to cars. Perhaps these need some modification or just better/different viscosity oil. Or some cheap after market shocks will fit?

38 sounds nice for RTR brushed. But it's estimated speed, and that's tricky to judge. It could be correct though, considering the hot motor it seerms to be geared for speed and less easy on the motor. Are you going to try a different pinion?
thanks man, that means alot. its my first review ever.

yeah i had to estimate my speed but after doing about 5 hours on a turnigy 2WD SCT, and knowing that does 30mph (48kph), i figured the ZMT-10 did about 2/3 or 3/4 of the speed. either way its definitely fast enough for me.

i fixed the shocks by dissembling them and giving them 35w shocky oil

the 22 tooth pinion was recommended by junkstuffandthings who also has this truggy. i will look into one. or maybe i should get a TX with a throttle limiter.
Jan 14, 2013, 03:11 AM
You're welcome. The review could do with some pics but it's a good effort. You mentioned strong points, weak points and and a final conclusion. Compared to "this is my new car. I like it!" or as mentioned, sometimes even less information, this review gives a real impression of what to expect.

So only the oil needed to be changed to get better shock action? That's good news for potential buyers. If you have to replace a lot of parts to get decent performance, you often end up with paying as much as for a stronger brand car.

I would use the different pinion. Limiting throttle will not decrease the initial load on the motor during acceleration, and since a speed control sends pulses to the motor, it might even run hotter when not going to full throttle.
Jan 14, 2013, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
You're welcome. The review could do with some pics but it's a good effort. You mentioned strong points, weak points and and a final conclusion. Compared to "this is my new car. I like it!" or as mentioned, sometimes even less information, this review gives a real impression of what to expect.

So only the oil needed to be changed to get better shock action? That's good news for potential buyers. If you have to replace a lot of parts to get decent performance, you often end up with paying as much as for a stronger brand car.

I would use the different pinion. Limiting throttle will not decrease the initial load on the motor during acceleration, and since a speed control sends pulses to the motor, it might even run hotter when not going to full throttle.
im uploading pics right now, iv got a huge library of HD up close pics that i will put into a folder or zip.

i didn't just change the shock oil, i completely dissembled the shock then put it back together, because i had no idea what was wrong at the time.

i will try to buy a new pinion, when i find one.

il try to have some videos too in a few hours.
Jan 14, 2013, 03:46 AM
Check if the pics aren't too big as for size in Mb, or the page could take ages to load. 1024 x 768 already shows plenty of detail usually. ;-)

As for the shocks, it's hard to tell what fixed them, the disassemby, the new oil, or both. Anyway, it can be fixed, that is what matters most.

Maybe it would be worth checking out of the bushings are standard size. Bearings, especially on the wheel hub carriers, can make a big difference. Also it reduces motor load, due to the reduced friction.

Looking forward to updates. You know you can still edit the first posting, so you can add the vids and pics there?

Edit: yes you do, as you already edited it. Btw, yellow is a very bad color for on screen lettering, so perhaps it's better to select a different color for the price tag. ;-)
Jan 14, 2013, 03:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Check if the pics aren't too big as for size in Mb, or the page could take ages to load. 1024 x 768 already shows plenty of detail usually. ;-)

As for the shocks, it's hard to tell what fixed them, the disassemby, the new oil, or both. Anyway, it can be fixed, that is what matters most.

Maybe it would be worth checking out of the bushings are standard size. Bearings, especially on the wheel hub carriers, can make a big difference. Also it reduces motor load, due to the reduced friction.

Looking forward to updates. You know you can still edit the first posting, so you can add the vids and pics there?

Edit: yes you do, as you already edited it. Btw, yellow is a very bad color for on screen lettering, so perhaps it's better to select a different color for the price tag. ;-)
whats the standard size for bearings/bushings on the wheel hubs? im new to land based rc.
Jan 14, 2013, 04:08 AM
5 x 11 x 4 mm is a popular size, but that doesn't mean this truck uses the same. Perhaps on the Hobby King site, on the bottom, where people put their experience with the car, it is said what size should fit? You can try to measure it, but without calipers it's a bit tricky to get a reliable value.
Jan 14, 2013, 04:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
5 x 11 x 4 mm is a popular size, but that doesn't mean this truck uses the same. Perhaps on the Hobby King site, on the bottom, where people put their experience with the car, it is said what size should fit? You can try to measure it, but without calipers it's a bit tricky to get a reliable value.
i think im the 3rd person with this car lol

oh and brushed motors run on direct current, not pulses.
Last edited by derpron; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
Jan 14, 2013, 05:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
tis about 11 mm in diameter.
Jan 14, 2013, 05:50 AM
You could order some, bearings are not too expensive. Doesn't Hobby King offer hop up parts for this truck, perhaps a "bearing kit"?
Jan 14, 2013, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
You could order some, bearings are not too expensive. Doesn't Hobby King offer hop up parts for this truck, perhaps a "bearing kit"?
im not sure, im not too fussed about bearings right now i wanna get the motor under control first.
Jan 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
Less resistance on the drive train will also mean a cooler running motor. You will probably still need the smaller pinion but it will run cooler and faster than with just a different pinion alone.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Jan 14, 2013, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Less resistance on the drive train will also mean a cooler running motor. You will probably still need the smaller pinion but it will run cooler and faster than with just a different pinion alone.
suppose. im still looking for a suitable pinion, i dont know how to find one compatible with my spur gear.
Jan 14, 2013, 09:02 AM
At UltimateRC they mention the spur and pinion are pitch 48: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165972

Quick Reply