Jan 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Goldberg Eaglet 50 7 year project finally done!

My first real build was the Goldberg Eaglet 50 back in 1980. I'd had a few planes earlier that were built by others. I built the Eaglet with no help. Just going by the instructions in the kit. A friend that was a great pilot offered help but it wasn't needed. This was a perfect first build. It flew great on a Supertigre .25. I loved that plane and always wanted to build another.

Fast forward to November 2005 when I got a kit off ebay. From the beginning I planned to build it for electric power. I copied the plans and used kit parts only to make templates. Even vacuum formed my own windows and windshield. Everything except the firewall and landing gear blocks was made with balsa instead of lite ply. It worked out well as AUW is only 38.5 ounces with a 3S 2250mah pack. The box shows 45-50 ounce dry weight for glow power. It seemed it was never going to be finished because I kept letting other builds push it back onto the shelf. She's finally done!

I made a few mods like cowling in the nose, dual hidden aileron servos, two access hatches on the bottom of the fuse and the wing is now bolt on instead of rubber bands. This is my third plane to get the USAF Thunderbirds theme. Odd maybe because I'm ex-Navy. I just don't care for the Blue Angles color theme. I hope to get her out for a maiden flight someday soon.

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Sep 01, 2018 at 09:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 08:47 AM
OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe

I made a few mods like cowling in the nose, dual hidden aileron servos, two access hatches on the bottom of the fuse and the wing is now bolt on instead of rubber bands.
Joe
Looks like a CF tube for the leading edge of the wing. How did that go? I find it hard to drill the hole in the LE of the ribs without tear out.

Marcus
Jan 14, 2013, 09:30 AM
Great looking build! My father has an Eaglet in his garage, and I'm not sure if it ever flew. I'll have to ask, but I think it has an old .15 or .19 in the nose. Maybe he and I should convert it to electric as well, and take it up for a spin?

Let us know how she flies!
Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright
Looks like a CF tube for the leading edge of the wing. How did that go? I find it hard to drill the hole in the LE of the ribs without tear out.

Marcus
Marcus,

I always make templates from counter top laminate and make sure they are exact to final size and shape. That way I can sand right to the template and have exact clones every time. I just used a round file to shape the leading edge relief. Again the template helps to make sure the size is consistent. Another benefit to making templates is that I can quickly cut another part should a mod not work out.

KE51: If history is any indication maiden may not be for a while. I have three other builds that are awaiting maiden. One waiting over two years! I just don't get to fly much anymore.

Joe
Jan 02, 2016, 09:42 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Wow! Just over 10 years from build start to maiden on this scratch built Goldberg Eaglet 50. She's been ready to go for the longest time but somehow was forgotten in the back room. I took her out today to see if she would even fly after all of the modifications I made. Well, she flew and she flew extremely well. Much better than I remember my original build flew as a slimer back in the very early 80's.

She was built 98% balsa using the original kit for templates and after many motor choices I at some point settled on the E-Flight 480-1020kv motor for whatever reason with an APC 10x7E prop. Seems to work really well on Thunder Power 3S 2250 packs. AUW is now just shy of 40 oz. About a pound or so less than a slimer version and it's easy to tell while flying. She even has dual aileron servos and a bolt on wing. The extra weight of those mods has had no negative impact.

Removing all the "trainer" wing and tail incidence angles really livened her up. The wing and tail are now at zero degrees with 2 degrees down thrust at the motor and dihedral is about 1/2. I don't think I'll change a thing. Inverted flight is awesome. I remember on my original Eaglet 50 it took almost full down elevator and even then it wouldn't hold inverted for long. She's now more of a "sport trainer".

Because it's so easy to set up with my new Spektrum DX6 I programmed flaperons. I tried them a few times and you'll hear in the video when they are activated as flaps. I'm still not a proponent of flaperons and will likely remove them from the setup as they aren't needed and seriously detract from aileron effectiveness.

Sorry for all the throttle related British girl voice responses from the TX. I think I have it all straightened out now....The video is raw and unedited.

Joe

Goldberg Eaglet 50 electrified maiden flight. 10 years AFTER build start! (7 min 0 sec)
Jan 04, 2016, 12:18 AM
Very nice! Good on ya mate.
Feb 10, 2016, 05:55 PM
Beautiful plane. I just bought a NIB Eaglet 50 on eBay. I remember my dad building one in 1980 and watching him fly it. I'm going to enjoy the nostalgia trip and take a break from my warbird obsession to make an old classic.

I'll be electrify mine. Are you happy with your power setup?
Feb 10, 2016, 07:23 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Doug,

Now that I've flown her you have no idea how hard I've kicked myself for not finishing her years ago! I couldn't be happier with the way she turned out.

If you fly warbirds then you're not a newbie so take out all that positive incidence at the wing! The one thing I remember hating about my original in the 80's was how it would climb when power was applied even after adding extra down thrust. Set the incidence to "0" between the wing and H stab. Add 2-3 degrees down thrust at the motor and you'll be set. If you build it with all original kit parts you will be much heavier than mine and likely need more motor than what I used but don't go overboard. I was amazed at how well she flew with that beat up and knocking 480 motor. (I honestly didn't expect it to survive the maiden.)

The only thing stopping me from taking her out again is this ridiculous B.S. with the FAA. Lately I've been flying well under 250 gram UMX planes. I won't register with the FAA even at gunpoint!

Joe
Feb 13, 2016, 03:37 PM
Joe, thanks for the info. I'll be building mine in the fall, so I'll have some time to do some research. Congrats on the great maiden flight.

My eBay prize arrived today. It truly is 100% complete and perfect. No warping or cracking and all the plastic is in great shape, so it doesn't look like I'll have to reproduce anything.
Feb 13, 2016, 06:17 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Doug,

I don't know how far you want to go with the project but you can easily cut all the parts from balsa using the original parts as templates. Just use good plywood for the firewall and landing gear mounts. You'll drop a ton of weight. I didn't use a single part from my original kit. I even made my own windows.

I'm charging batteries right now. She's going out again tomorrow. I haven't flown in over a month and it's driving me nuts!

Joe
Feb 13, 2016, 08:06 PM
Joe, that's an excellent idea if I were skilled enough as a scratch builder. ARF kits are about as skilled as I can get. This will be my first pure build in a long long time. Thanks for the idea. I'll have the spring and summer to ponder it, but for now (with my flying skills) I thing the stronger the airframe, the better.
Feb 13, 2016, 08:43 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
It's a sweet flying plane no matter how you build it. You're going to love the Eaglet 50!

Joe
Feb 13, 2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks Joe ! Many happy flights to you.
Apr 21, 2017, 02:06 PM

Balsa Eaglet

That balsa Eaglet does well with the 480 motor.
Last edited by wingtips; Apr 21, 2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: change
Apr 21, 2017, 06:06 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtips
That balsa Eaglet does well with the 480 motor.
Nobody was more surprised than me! It far surpassed my performance expectations. I have plenty of bigger motors but have no plans to change it out. It does everything I ask of it. Lighter DOES fly better!

Joe

Quick Reply