Jan 12, 2013, 10:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyzone Champ range Issues. Stock tx, or receiver?

Hey guys, first off, I LOVE the Champ. I'm not exactly a beginner, just returning to the hobby. I chose the Champ because of it's ability to fly in small areas, and after a few bumps and the wing torn off on the left side of the fuselage (repaired and reattached it easily) I quickly got comfortable flying it in my small front yard and down my neighborhood street. Moving the control rods closer on the horns (third hole out from the elevator and rudder) allows for tight turns and I can move them two holes closer if I choose. My only issue is the short range. I understand it's intended to be flown low and close, and due to it's small size I wouldn't want it to be up too high or far anyway. But I've lost control of it more than once at approximately 300 feet. The first few times it was only a few seconds, but I got it back. However the last time it spiraled in, apparently having gone out of range as I was applying down elevator in a turn. Maybe the servos got stuck. It hit an outer branch of a neighbor's tree (broke it's fall) before it hit the ground. No damage, still flies fine. The plane was about 250 feet away on the ground, and at least that high up. Probably some 300 feet from the transmitter. I have good batteries in the stock tx. Can the receiver or antenna position (in the plane) be tweaked with the Champ to give it a better "ear"? I don't want to cut anything and ruin it, but maybe reposition? Also, I know the dx5e and dx6i work really well and have more range than I'll ever need. Used dx5e's are around $40. What about the dx4e? Will it work and still give more range than the stock tx? I don't care about binding lots of planes, just wondering about inexpensive alternatives. Even with it's limitations, the Champ is still a fine plane. I've gone on "long winded" here, but any ideas? Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 11:05 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
It may be that your transmitter and your receiver are both short on range capability. Im not absolutely sure but i believe thats what i've read...
Jan 13, 2013, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beave
It may be that your transmitter and your receiver are both short on range capability. Im not absolutely sure but i believe thats what i've read...
You may be right. Seems like it should be at least visual range, in my opinion. When I was flying my Firebird Phantom, sometimes I'd get it WAY up there. I rode a thermal once, circling with a hawk. It was little more than just a speck and I could just barely make out the wings and tail. I estimated it to be about 650 - 700 feet, almost directly overhead. Estimations can be all over the place, but I don't think I was off by much. It was HIGH. Easily twice as high as I'd normally fly it. I was using the relative size of the plane at altitude compared to the button on the tx antenna. Other times I'd fly it lower but even farther away and it never went out of range. I figure if the Firebird Phantom's stock tx gets that kind of range, the Champ stock tx should be capable of sending the signal at least as far. They're both Hobbyzone products.
Jan 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
hjukhjuk
I've been having the same range problems as you. The stock transmitter is pretty limited with only 10mw of output power. A full range spektrum tx like the DX4e and above, has an output of 200mw.
Jan 13, 2013, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs
I've been having the same range problems as you. The stock transmitter is pretty limited with only 10mw of output power. A full range spektrum tx like the DX4e and above, has an output of 200mw.
That's a huge difference in output. On the upside, I've seen on this site and a few others where used DX4E's have been sold for something like $32. So it shouldn't be expensive to upgrade.
Jan 13, 2013, 08:38 PM
Like a Tortoise
I found when I fly at one of my local parks, the champ and DX5E had a dead spot. Whenever I hit that dead spot, like the Bermuda triangle, I have a glitch in the system, exactly as you described it? I would fly and avoid that section?

I have a cut out and recovery of under a second, to total loss of power, that caused a spiral death dive.

Now can I say it is just me, the plane, and or the Tx? Something I asked over and over, if it is worth flying at this location, and here we have a similar story?

Could this be just a bad batch, or interference? I suggest trying to find a real open area, other than the house and see if it happens again. This may take a few tries, not one, and If you have to fly at the spot, best know where the dead spot is, and avoid. I hope the stock transmitter is the cause, but feel it is not?

concerned that I was also not the only person this happened to. keep us posted, if you find a solution. I will experiment with the champ when I fly her again and see if it happens again to rule out the issue I had
Jan 13, 2013, 10:23 PM
Mesh or wire fence is night mare for my champ, everytime fly close will lose signal, wonder who have this experience?

Edmond
Jan 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare
I found when I fly at one of my local parks, the champ and DX5E had a dead spot. Whenever I hit that dead spot, like the Bermuda triangle, I have a glitch in the system, exactly as you described it? I would fly and avoid that section?

I have a cut out and recovery of under a second, to total loss of power, that caused a spiral death dive.

Now can I say it is just me, the plane, and or the Tx? Something I asked over and over, if it is worth flying at this location, and here we have a similar story?

Could this be just a bad batch, or interference? I suggest trying to find a real open area, other than the house and see if it happens again. This may take a few tries, not one, and If you have to fly at the spot, best know where the dead spot is, and avoid. I hope the stock transmitter is the cause, but feel it is not?

concerned that I was also not the only person this happened to. keep us posted, if you find a solution. I will experiment with the champ when I fly her again and see if it happens again to rule out the issue I had
So, you're having cut off issues with your Champ while using the DX5E? I find that surprising. I'm using the stock tx that came with it. I hadn't thought about a specific "dead" spot, because I've lost signal in more than one area. Just every time it's about the same distance, about 250 feet away and at least that high. Probably about 300 feet straight distance from the tx. I've also thought about going to a large, open area, fly it low and LET it fly out of range. Should glide to a safe landing as long as there's no trees, water, power lines, etc. That way I can see how far out I can maintain control, and after stepping off the distance to get the plane I should have a fairly good idea of the stock tx range.
Jan 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y
Mesh or wire fence is night mare for my champ, everytime fly close will lose signal, wonder who have this experience?

Edmond
It's interesting you mentioned a fence. I read about a guy who flew his plane out of range. I think it was a Champ, but not sure. There was a chain link fence close by, so he quickly ran up and touched it with his tx antenna. He regained control and got his plane back. Maybe the fence gave his tx antenna a "boost" to get the signal out there? Who knows? I guess in that situation if the plane's out of range there's nothing to lose by touching the tx antenna to a fence or some other large metal structure. Maybe it would work.
Jan 14, 2013, 02:53 AM
I always fly at school yards where they have tall mesh fence to separate the area into different usage, and very often when the plane fly near will out of control, so I think the fence gounded the signal.

Edmond
Jan 14, 2013, 05:44 AM
Precision Aerobatics P plater
Can't say I've ever had a problem with range.

Done probably 60-70 flights on my local cricket oval,(prob. 150yd x 50yd) using std Tx, and up to 300ft alt. Never had a problem which was not caused by my dumb thumbs, or else wind turbulence.

Alastair
Jan 14, 2013, 05:53 AM
Ground Pounder
I have lost control at about 250-300 a few times using the stock TX. I have a dx5 that I use now and I have flown it about 500-600 feet with no issues.
Jan 14, 2013, 06:06 AM
Like a Tortoise
Stingray.....

Yes With one of my Champs and the DX5E, a dead spot..... I also use a DX6I and have not an issue at all. Different park, a chain link fence that goes for a long distance, 1000 plus feet . I have flown other planes with the DX5E.

With the DX5E I was taken by a wind down field, fighting recovery, and wound up a good 1/3rd mile, retrieved champ in perfect order with the DX5E. With Stock I have basically placed it away.
Jan 14, 2013, 07:39 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray8854
The plane was about 250 feet away on the ground, and at least that high up. Probably some 300 feet from the transmitter. I have good batteries in the stock tx. Can the receiver or antenna position (in the plane) be tweaked with the Champ to give it a better "ear"?
Even though 250ft away at 250ft high seems close, the hypotenuse is more like 350ft. This is in line with my experiences with the stock Tx. As you apporach 400 ft away, the chance of losing signal grows exponentially.

Quote:
Also, I know the dx5e and dx6i work really well and have more range than I'll ever need.
But they also have the range you do need, whereas your stock Tx doesn't. Not to mention, the larger transmitters feel better and the sticks are easier to maneuver.
They just have a much better feel. The stock tx is a great size for children though.
Jan 14, 2013, 08:23 PM
When I bought mine, the hobby store owner said: "Don't use cheap batteries in the transmitter. You will loose your plane if you do."

He might be right...

Quick Reply