Jan 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

topgun rapier 450 fault?

recently purchased a topgun rapier 450 helicopter to get me back into the swing of things andafter only 3 x 4 minute flights well hovers i find that the main drive gear and motor pinnion gear has worn away to the extent that i have to by replacement parts ,just wondering if this is a common fault or an i just unlucky.i thought i would of atleast got more flight time with this,anyone else had the same problem
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 09:48 AM
WOS
WOS
Sounds like your pinion to main gear lash was to far away. Use some rolling papers or something close to that and put it between the pinion and main gear for good lash gap
Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooper
recently purchased a topgun rapier 450 helicopter to get me back into the swing of things andafter only 3 x 4 minute flights well hovers i find that the main drive gear and motor pinnion gear has worn away to the extent that i have to by replacement parts ,just wondering if this is a common fault or an i just unlucky.i thought i would of atleast got more flight time with this,anyone else had the same problem
Your gear mesh is either so tight it's binding the motor and pushing the motor shaft, or it's so loose it's chipping off pieces of the plastic gear teeth
Jan 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
thx guys the heli is less than 3 weeks old i did check the gear mesh and thought it was ok so will have to waiy for new parts now
Apr 12, 2013, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
right got the parts used a cigarette paperto get the mesh right and it just strips the main drive gear after 3 flights this has been repaired 4 times now getting rather sickof it so gonna replace the parts yet again and sell on going back to nitro power as never had this much trouble before
Apr 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
A&P in training
Quite annoying, I've been there and done that.
Solution:

This helicopter is a clone of the Dynam E-Razor 450 which was notorious for its garbage pinion which would dissolve and then start chewing up the main gear. Can bet the brass pinion is causing your problem.

This along with proper gear mesh will solve the problem. Also, when you set the mesh, set it to where you can feel a tid tid bit of play of the main gear before it connects with the pinion..You will never strip a main gear again unless you bite the dust. Good to go.

http://helidirect.com/rhino-gear-ult...450-p-6694.hdx
Last edited by ASTREA1; Apr 12, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
Apr 13, 2013, 05:23 AM
Thread OP
yeh i'm guessing its the brass pinion gear causing the trouble thx again will give it another go

Quick Reply