Jan 12, 2013, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

new Quad, DJI + GPS.. Issue on first flight

Well, I had a great first flight!! GPS mode was incredible!! Although, I would be interested in fooling with the gains a bit, to see exactly how "locked" I can make it? Any thoughts on this?

Also, towards the end of the flight I did have an issue :-/ I was low to the ground (thank god) and I went from GPS to ATTI.. no problem.,. BUT.. then I went from ATTI to MANUAL.. the quad flipped over instantly, and landed upside down????

Why would this happen? only damage seems to be a small cut on one blade..
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 10:04 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62
I was low to the ground (thank god) and I went from GPS to ATTI.. no problem.,. BUT.. then I went from ATTI to MANUAL.. the quad flipped over instantly, and landed upside down????

Why would this happen?
Once in manual the artificial stabilization is off. You need to be ready to take control.
Jan 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I know that there is no computer aided flight when in Manual.. However, what I saw was the quad "flip" over just above the ground as soon as the flight mode changed over to M. I have a feeling there maybe something in the programming a mist? Everything in Naza parogram looks fine.. and the LED indicates manual mode when tested on the ground.. but, man... I am scared to try again..

I am used to flying the 1SQ micro quad.. and that surly is much more touchy then this? In fact, I tested the quad again.. this time I ramped up the motors on the ground in M mode.. and as I added throttle I could already see the frame starting to move forward.. ATTI, and GPS.. obviously this does not happen..

I dont know.. I have a 9503 radio.. any other thoughts?

In fact.. to be honest.. I would rather DISABLE manual mode.. as I am never going to want to fly that aggressively anyway.. is there a way to do this? Maybe changing the travel end point in the program until it does not light up "manual"? But, then I was worried about calibrating the GPS if there is no manual mode?

Thoughts?
Jan 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62

I am used to flying the 1SQ micro quad.. and that surly is much more touchy then this?
The 1SQ has quite strong stabilization that you can't disable. The NAZA in MAN mode is not as stable as the 1SQ.
Jan 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Manual mode is not agile enough to cause such flips. At full throws it takes about 1 second to flip the quad. Naza was never meant to be used for aerobatic flights. Anyhow, sudden flips can be caused by bad solder joints. So check the bullet connectors. Also, make sure you don't get any water or moisture on the electronics, that can make the FC freak out.

If you have any of the FXXX frames (F330, F450, F550) and the DJI motors, definitely check the bullet connectors. My F550 flipped out on me once. It did a 180 on the spot and landed upside down. I lost several Graupner props in that flip, not fun. It was a bad solder joint.
Jan 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
If it were a bad connection, then would it effect the rest of the modes? The other flight modes fly fine..
Jan 12, 2013, 12:35 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck
Manual mode is not agile enough to cause such flips. At full throws it takes about 1 second to flip the quad. Naza was never meant to be used for aerobatic flights. Anyhow, sudden flips can be caused by bad solder joints. So check the bullet connectors. Also, make sure you don't get any water or moisture on the electronics, that can make the FC freak out.

If you have any of the FXXX frames (F330, F450, F550) and the DJI motors, definitely check the bullet connectors. My F550 flipped out on me once. It did a 180 on the spot and landed upside down. I lost several Graupner props in that flip, not fun. It was a bad solder joint.
Why would a bad solder connection do this in MAN mode but not in GPS or ATTI?

Also we don't really know how fast his machine flipped.

Quick Reply