Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by mariner02
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Build Log

USNS Sioux (T-ATF-171), 1/48 scratchbuild

Hi Everyone,
Starting a new build as promised, finally laying the keel this evening for my 1/48 T-ATF fleet tug.
This model has been on my "to-do" list for awhile, ever since being stationed aboard her as an engineering officer back in 2000-2001. I knew I'd get to it one of these days, so I took a set of plans and a ton of photos before leaving the ship. SSY makes a great T-ATF hull in 1/96 as many of you are aware, but I just love the ease of working in 1/48, and needed a running-mate for my 1/48 Navajo-class ATF, USS Chawasha.
It's been quite awhile since I've done a scratchbuild, but no worries- the hull is pretty simple when you get down to it. I'll try to update everyone on a regular basis, but since this is sure to be a long, involved build, it will be a test of endurance....not speed.

Started with a dead-straight piece of hard maple, 1/2" x 3/4" for the keel; built up aft to form the centerline skeg. Frames to follow. Wish me luck!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by desron48
ADM. 48TH FLEET
looking forward to this build....gunna be fun...

joe
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Gonna be a BIG model---. Great choice of subject---.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
no such thing as to many boats
Very nice I'll be watching this one
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
That boat, has been done, as a fiberglass semi-kit, in 1/48 scale. I do not know who has the molds and other tooling, currently. If you are seriously interested, PM me, and I will try to find out. CaptCB
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
I wasn't aware of a fiberglass hull in 1/48, but that's ok; I don't mind the old-fashioned way.

All framed-up as of last night. Slots are cut for the numerous chine logs, which are up next. I also have the aft bulkheads prepped to accept the shafts; alignment at this early stage is critical. Note that the extreme bow and stern will be comprised of solid blocks.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner02 View Post
I wasn't aware of a fiberglass hull in 1/48, but that's ok; I don't mind the old-fashioned way.
This is going to be a Great model !

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Woodfumbler......
Nice grey tug, il be watching.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Mariner02, that's a pretty quick start to your build.

I'd only be on my second beer by now---.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Mariner02, that's a pretty quick start to your build.
That's only because I haven't run into any problems yet. Don't worry, there's still plenty of time to get surprised by something I didn't think about....
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
Awesome! I will be following too.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by seaphoto
Kurt Greiner
Scale Ships out of Southern California made the 1/48 scale T-ATF as well as a lot of parts for it. I helped a fellow build one - nice solid hull, with the strake detail molded on. The company was owner by two guys, one of whom owned Harbor Models for a time - Armand Veronico. I think the other fellows name was Paul. They also produced a 1/48 scale CG-47.

You can check with Lee at Scale Shipyard, as I think he might have some of the T-ATF molds picked up somewhere - these projects seem to have a life of their own and are sold and traded by various cottage industry companies.

Kurt
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by desron48
ADM. 48TH FLEET
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
Scale Ships out of Southern California made the 1/48 scale T-ATF as well as a lot of parts for it. I helped a fellow build one - nice solid hull, with the strake detail molded on. The company was owner by two guys, one of whom owned Harbor Models for a time - Armand Veronico. I think the other fellows name was Paul. They also produced a 1/48 scale CG-47.

You can check with Lee at Scale Shipyard, as I think he might have some of the T-ATF molds picked up somewhere - these projects seem to have a life of their own and are sold and traded by various cottage industry companies.

Kurt
don at loyalhanna and i are thinking of doing this hull...(i'll be making the pattern) this should be a great project....i won't reply anymore on this....sorry for hijacking this tread

joe
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desron48 View Post
don at loyalhanna and i are thinking of doing this hull...(i'll be making the pattern) this should be a great project....
Yes- I have been in contact with Don to develop a running gear package for this project, and will be supplying my plans and photos to him so you can develop that hull. Should be a worthwhile endeavor; there seems to be lots of interest in this class...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher

Mark