Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
Help!

Guardian 2D Aileron deflection problem

If I wiggle my plane around with guardian turned on I see deflections of rudder and ailerons. However, at some point, the ailerons will get stuck in a right or left turn setting (one down, one up) when the plane should be in level flight.

If I touch my aileron stick on my transmitter, the ailerons reset to straight and level flight. This situation has caused me to almost crash at least two times and luckily I was able to turn the gain off to disable the Guardian.

What's up with this?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hi Scott, that's a strange issue. When this happens, is throttle control lost also? I want to rule out an ESC/BEC shuttoff, which would also shut off the receiver (and hence no throttle movement).

But, that would not fit well if the problem goes away whenever you touch the control stick. Do you mean that if you move the stick only slightly, the ailrons move? is it possible the aileron servo is binding? If you tilt the plane when this is happening, does that also remedy it?
Mar 07, 2017, 10:43 AM

Same issue

I have FOUR ACFT I have installed guardians into and all four have aileron issues deflecting when yawing the plane manual.
The turn coordination gain is set to zero. I have been in contact with horizon hobby and went through my DX9 and maid sure there was no mixing and in the correct flight mode.

I have done factory reset and all four doing same thing Evan after creating new model for all four.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal.

Eagle system not much help
Mar 07, 2017, 08:22 PM

Eagletree

Good evening,

I went thru a few back and forth emails with EagleTree to figure out the problem.
They (don't) know how to avert that twitching issue. I'd installed the device on my Radian Pro and was having the same issue with the aileron servos on the aircraft.
A friend of mine (30 plus years in R/C) went thru some troubleshooting with me and determined the issue was interference from the digital servos installed on the aircraft - causing interference.
He suggested installing ferrite cores on the aircraft close enough to the servos and wrap the servo leads around the ferrite cores a few times in an attempt to eradicate the issue.
Of course....went to RadioShack and bought a couple.
After installation....nothing changed.
I contacted EagleTree and got a refund and bought an UMX icon A5.

This was about 2 years ago - I think.
By your post - to date - I take it EagleTree has yet to find a work-around.
Theoretically, the 2D device is a great idea, but I didn't want to go thru installing non-digital servos. It would defeat the - plug-n-play concept.
Still, I didn't bother to try non-digital. I was through with it by then. So I can't confirm that the change would help.
But please let me know if/when/how you get it to work.
Mar 07, 2017, 08:25 PM
I forgot to mention... my radio is a Futaba 10 J, using the applicable receiver that came with the radio.
Mar 09, 2017, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT SARGENT
I have FOUR ACFT I have installed guardians into and all four have aileron issues deflecting when yawing the plane manual.
The turn coordination gain is set to zero. I have been in contact with horizon hobby and went through my DX9 and maid sure there was no mixing and in the correct flight mode.

I have done factory reset and all four doing same thing Evan after creating new model for all four.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal.

Eagle system not much help
In what mode do you have the Guardian set? If 2D with HH enabled, this is normal. The Guardian maintains heading in 2D-HH by rolling the aircraft, and not by using the rudder.