Aug 13, 2013, 08:07 AM
Mike from Alabama
Thread OP
sorry for the lack of updates......lots of things going on right now and the plane isn't priority...........one of the issues is I'm without a bbq grill and it's killing me. All my time is being put into building one......
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2013, 10:54 AM
Old Submariner

Dead On !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl
sorry for the lack of updates......lots of things going on right now and the plane isn't priority...........one of the issues is I'm without a bbq grill and it's killing me. All my time is being put into building one......

Bkndsdl:

Man your priorities are Dead On !

A world without BBQ is no place to be.

Santa Maria style is the best one I ever built. Half of a 55 gallon drum, upright on each end, full surface grill out of 1/2 square. crank at the top of the uprights with chain down to the grill to raise and lower.

Fill that thing with oak and wet hickory chips for flavor............... lookout !

Worked better than any of my pits.

Tom
Aug 13, 2013, 11:20 AM
Mike from Alabama
Thread OP
lol......a man after my own tastes! That grill sounds awesome.....chains???? got any pics???

I am building a double-drum smoker; it has a 55g drum on the bottom for a firebox, and another drum on top for the actual grilling. The firebox and grill are tied together with two 6" stove pipes with dampeners in each.
Aug 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
Old Submariner

Yeah !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkndsdl
lol......a man after my own tastes! That grill sounds awesome.....chains???? got any pics???

I am building a double-drum smoker; it has a 55g drum on the bottom for a firebox, and another drum on top for the actual grilling. The firebox and grill are tied together with two 6" stove pipes with dampeners in each.
Hey Bkndsdl

Sorry no pics (that I could find). Use that closed link brass chain you find at the hardware store. Run one end of the chain to the front corner of the grill over the crank rod at the top and back down to the rear corner of the grill. Anchor the chain at the crank with a bolt and the same thing on the other end , little guide on the grill that follows the upright to keep it from rocking and away you go.

Used to cook on one I made for my sister in Alabama.

Tom
Aug 21, 2013, 07:42 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Hi Mike,

I sent you a PM but no response.
Please check your messages

Marty
Sep 02, 2013, 03:11 PM
Old Submariner

My Hog Bipe

Hi Guys, since not much going on I thought I would post a few pics of my Hog.

Just completed and was at the field today running the engine in. This is one of SIG;s new kits, I built a Hog a few years back and let me say this reworked kit is a absolute joy to build. All laser cut except the wing ribs which are die cut. The die must be brand new because they were excellent, no "die crunching " here. Way to go to the "New SIG".

The airframe is covered with 21st Century Fabric which I pretty much use on everything.
It is the pre-painted Orange and Light Blue. After shrinking and graphics I over-sprayed with Top Flight Clear Flat, makes the fabric really pop.

The engine is a NIB Magnum 80 4-stroke I picked up here in the classifieds. Didn't want use a 91, I like to fly on the wings not the prop.

Got the engine run in and she is running very well. I couldn't maiden because I punched a hole in the lower left wing while I was attaching the interplane strut. Easy fix and will maiden in the next few days.

Anyway, a few pics just to keep things going.

Tom

Sep 02, 2013, 05:03 PM
Looks really nice! Yes an 80 will fly it nice and leasurely for sure. Well done!
Sep 03, 2013, 05:13 AM
Old Submariner

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut
Looks really nice! Yes an 80 will fly it nice and leasurely for sure. Well done!
Hi cherokeenut- thanks for the comment.

Yes the 80 will make her a nice flyer, after the run-in yesterday I was turning a Master Airscrew 14 x 6 at 9850 with carb set rich and will unload in flight to about 9900 which is about where I want it.

Tom
Sep 16, 2013, 05:32 AM
Just say "No, it's under 250g"

Nice Hog

Tom,

I am planning to buy (and build) one of the new Hog Bipe kits for my winter project. did you make any mods on the stock build? Yours looks great! (Has she maidened yet?)

Scotty
Sep 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
Old Submariner

Yes and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo
Tom,

I am planning to buy (and build) one of the new Hog Bipe kits for my winter project. did you make any mods on the stock build? Yours looks great! (Has she maidened yet?)

Scotty
Hi Scotty- Yes has maidened- scary ! Engine wasn't developing full power, my fault. Needed more break in time.

Yes on mod, but just moved the gear forward 1.0", she has a very long nose moment.

Other than that, all stock.

You will enjoy this build. Good luck.

Tom
Sep 16, 2013, 03:29 PM
Tom, great looking Hog. Did you get the engine problem resolved?

Scotty, You will love the build. Read through this thread for many good tips.

Bkndsdl, I have been following this thread since the beginning and realised I had not shared pics of my Hog. So, here you go.
Sep 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Old Submariner

Beautiful Hog !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx
Tom, great looking Hog. Did you get the engine problem resolved?

Scotty, You will love the build. Read through this thread for many good tips.

Bkndsdl, I have been following this thread since the beginning and realised I had not shared pics of my Hog. So, here you go.
tcax:

Beautiful Hog you have there.

Yes I did get my engine power development issue cleared up. Just needed to run the engine in a little more to seat the ring.

Tom

Quick Reply