May 08, 2014, 10:52 PM
hell ya thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2014, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse redding
hell ya thanks
aint been able to fly lately 30 mph winds but its okla tomorrow its 6 mph tomorrow so im getting up early
May 08, 2014, 10:56 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
I'm going to try to maiden my new flaps this weekend
May 09, 2014, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
I'm going to try to maiden my new flaps this weekend
Great, looking forward to hearing how it goes. How difficult was the mod to add flaps?

Side note, as others have done, I applied minwax polycrylic to my Glasair and am really happy with results. Looks great and stays new looking and clean.
May 09, 2014, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ed
Great, looking forward to hearing how it goes. How difficult was the mod to add flaps?

Side note, as others have done, I applied minwax polycrylic to my Glasair and am really happy with results. Looks great and stays new looking and clean.
When I added regular flaps with a single servo, the flaps part was easy, setting up the torque rods and servo was more tricky. That one is shown in one of my YouTube videos. Pictures are in my attachments.

When I did the new flaps which are slotted, the flaps were more involved, installing the two servos and setting up the linkages and horns was a bit less complicated. I had to reverse a servo in order to have them installed mirror imaged for a cleaner look, Out of the various methods to reverse a servo, I chose to re-wire one of them.The process is documented on my blog (except the servo rewire which I've discussed elsewhere).

The easiest flaps install would be a hybrid of both of those... regular flaps with two wing mounted servos like the ailerons.
May 18, 2014, 09:41 PM
whats a good long fight battery and is their a way to hook up a 3rd servo for steering and whats a good way to reinforce the wings?
May 18, 2014, 09:54 PM
ive been flying in this oklahoma winds and the whole week its been 15 to 20 mph give and take a little with gust up to 30 but she holds up nice to it just a little wing flexing other then that still getting use to landing like a heli dang wind but its sooo cool landing like that i dont bend my front wheel lol
May 18, 2014, 10:16 PM
I like the stock 1300 size because going to a larger lipo means you have to fly faster just to overcome the added weight. Sure, overall, you'll get a longer flight time but it's not a linear relationship to how much more battery capacity you added... you waste some of that extra capacity just flying at a higher throttle position to overcome its own added weight (higher wing loading).

But, having said that, guys like to fly 1800 and even 2200mah lipos in other birds that come stock with 1300's. I have some 1800's I bought for my Stinson, I might try one out in the Glasair if I can get the CG to balance properly with it (taildragger conversion, 1300 is all the way forward).

You can configure anything you want if you come up with a plan, but why would you need a separate steering servo?

The wings are reinforced from the factory with flat fiberglass spars inserted perpendicularly. The wing struts add more reinforcement, so you've lost me on that one too, bud.
May 18, 2014, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
I like the stock 1300 size because going to a larger lipo means you have to fly faster just to overcome the added weight. Sure, overall, you'll get a longer flight time but it's not a linear relationship to how much more battery capacity you added... you waste some of that extra capacity just flying at a higher throttle position to overcome its own added weight (higher wing loading).

But, having said that, guys like to fly 1800 and even 2200mah lipos in other birds that come stock with 1300's. I have some 1800's I bought for my Stinson, I might try one out in the Glasair if I can get the CG to balance properly with it (taildragger conversion, 1300 is all the way forward).

You can configure anything you want if you come up with a plan, but why would you need a separate steering servo?

The wings are reinforced from the factory with flat fiberglass spars inserted perpendicularly. The wing struts add more reinforcement, so you've lost me on that one too, bud.
on some of the stall turns or flat spins and a few other stuff the wings flex but i think most of it is due to the high winds or just the g's or trying stuff the plane aint made to handle the 2nd servo for the steering is cuz ive noticed a lot of play with rudder and steerings control horn thats attached to the servo it probably dont make to much of o difference i just dont want it to break in flight or a fiery crash cuz i wanna try to keep it the tri gear set up but i think ill stick with the 1300 mah batteries just get a few more got a 2200 mah from my parkzone extra 300 and did notice a difference but didnt know if it was worth it so i thought id ask
May 18, 2014, 11:39 PM
I could be wrong, but it sounds like the play might be somewhere other than the servo arm (there's usually not much slop there), in which case going to a dedicated servo isn't going to help that.

Doesn't hurt to try a bigger lipo if you have one and see how much it extends your flight time to see if the extra weight is worth it.
May 22, 2014, 07:22 PM
i know this might sound far out their but could i turn the flapcut outs in to extra ailerons almost like dual ailerons since the stock receiver has 2 aileron ports? i like to try new stuff and push it to the limits if its not a good idea let me know
May 22, 2014, 10:40 PM
I was involved in discussion not long ago with someone who did that very thing on the Fun Cub. There are some things that need to be considered if you mean having them attached to each other creating one long aileron still using a single servo (per wing), like continuing the same hinge line (not using the existing line of the fake flap area on the Glasair). And the hinge needs to be the same type and cut like the aileron hinge. In other words, the "flap" has to be a continuation of the aileron in every way.

The 2nd aileron port on the stock Rx is just a built in Y-cable. It's the same thing (electronically) as the external Y-cable.
May 23, 2014, 11:11 PM
i was gonna use 2 more servos for the set up i got a few from my old ones laying around but do i have to attach it to the other aileron like 1 solid or would it still work with a gap between them but they should move at the same time i think and what would be the best way to make the hinge use hinge tape or go all out if im gonna do it like that im a little hard headed so if you explained it to me up above im sorry if im asking more less just what you just explained to me above i went to oklahoma city public schools lol
May 24, 2014, 12:11 AM
If you plan to add two more servos and keep them separated then that changes things. It's not critical then that the hinge line and hinge type are an exact extension of the existing aileron setup... you'd just want to make sure they have the same throws on the pairs of servos per side.

If you make them attached to each other it complicates things. Simpler as far as servos go (you're back to one per wing) but critical that the hinge line and hinge type are duplicated or you're going have things bind up on you (that will result in a couple of things... none of them are good )
Jun 28, 2014, 01:27 AM
Not much noise here lately.

Quick Reply