Jan 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
ir3
ir3
Thread OP
Discussion

Assembling WTC Nose Cone

Hi Submariners,

I have a problem installing the WTC nose cone in the Engel Type VIIC. There are two brass screws that go through bulkhead R5. I can get the spacer, washer and nut on the top screw but I find it almost impossible to get the nut on the bottom screw. I did manage to get the spacer and washer in place but I do not have the tools to get the nut in place. A 1/4" socket does not fit, there is not enough clearance between the nut and the fiberglass hull to get the socket in place. I am almost tempted to consider the top nut and spacer will be sufficient to hold the nose cone in place but it would be nice to bolt it at both the top and bottom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

IR3
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
HI,
A picture it is possible?.It will be more easy.
Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
ir3
ir3
Thread OP

Finally attached lower nose cone bolt

With the use of a magnet on the end of a flexible shaft, an 8mm box wrench, a small hammer and screwdriver I was able to get the nut and washer on and with the box wrench, I could move the nut just enough to start tightening it and with the long screw driver and hammer I could tap the nut to tighten. Took about 10 minutes but it now secure. With the buildup of fiberglass in that area it was just impossible to get any kind of 8mm socket on the nut.

Now on to the next frustration.

IR3
Jan 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by profesorul
HI,
A picture it is possible?.It will be more easy.
IR2 means this tread at the left side of the photo,

I was able to get the nut on but its indeed a struggle to tighten it

Its not the only difficulty on this kit,

Good job IR2

Regards from Holland,

Jan,
Jan 29, 2013, 06:10 PM
ir3
ir3
Thread OP

WTC Nose Cone

Hi Jan,

You are absolutely right about not the only problem. I see that you have started to post to your thread again. Good news. I will be following closely.

I put the old battery pack back in. I didn't want to do it since I think I have a weak cell in one of the 10 cell sections but I should be able to run the boat for a while until a fix comes in for the newer pack. The new battery pack either had the wrong size adapters for the early Type VIIC or he designed new battery pack bulkheads for the tech rack. I did send an email about this to Engel but received no response. Coincidentally, the new battery pack and the sub kit itself are suddenly not available. I wonder if they see the error and are working to fix it.

Cheers,

Iran
Jan 30, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hi Iran,

Yes I did start the tread again but I can tell you that I do not use the battery's Engel suggested, because I want to use Lipo's and therefore I had have to make a complete new battery section, but that will be explained in my build.

Then the response of Engel, well I hear more from guys from the states that he not respond on his e-mail and I can not find a reason for that behavior because I met him last year and his English are a lot better than mine, so thats not the problem.

I have no clue

So we need forums like this to help and learn from each other

You may know I was a very long time completely done with this kit and mainly caused by making the flood-holes. Its not normal for this amount of money to do that much of brainwashing repeating work, however I know that when I purchased the kit but it was no fun anymore at the end.

However she looks very nice now.
So the work has pays off well .

Regards,

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply