Jan 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
Hobbyking sells wingtip skids also. pretty cheap.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee

E-flite strut-ready retracts

Wanted to get you guys a couple of shots of the new gear, sorry there's nothing on the Horizon Hobby pages yet.

EFLG509 is the retract set, these are supplied with wire struts for those not wishing to use the shock absorbing struts.

EFLG510109 is the Bf 109-specific strut set, you can see the angled axle. Axles and aluminum gear door mounts are supplied with these. These struts are available singly also.

Craig
Jan 18, 2013, 03:08 PM
What is the pricing for the gear and the struts?
Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4
They make some wingtip skids that are a little less obvious than that. They mount right out under the tip where it's needed most. You can hardly see them.
Here if you must > http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK201
Yeah I've got a bagful of those, problem is they are not long enough to protect the ailerons.
I fly in an old airfield with concrete floor ... very abrasive surface!

Craig,
Thanks for the pics, I can't imagine anyone bying the kit without them

Nick
Jan 19, 2013, 03:51 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Greening
Wanted to get you guys a couple of shots of the new gear, sorry there's nothing on the Horizon Hobby pages yet.

EFLG509 is the retract set, these are supplied with wire struts for those not wishing to use the shock absorbing struts.

EFLG510109 is the Bf 109-specific strut set, you can see the angled axle. Axles and aluminum gear door mounts are supplied with these. These struts are available singly also.

Craig
I like the new design you guys are using to hold the wire/strut. I have been using the 60/120 size in my .60 size birds and my jets lately. I drill them out to accept the strut off the blue nose and they work great!

Can't wait these to show up now
Latest blog entry: Miss Foxy Lady eBuild
Jan 19, 2013, 05:34 AM
Nice looking bird,im a big fan of 109'sand Hangar 9 stuff as it is good quality but this will be expensive for a 60 size model especially if you go with the electric retracts,oleos and you put a fourstroke in it,that would come to around 650,thats around $975.
Jan 19, 2013, 07:29 AM
I'd love to get my hands on two of these and turn them into a 109Z
Jan 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
What is the pricing for the gear and the struts?
Just checked...ouch..
$159.99 for the retracts and $89.99 for the struts...

That's some pricey gear...

Jazzbone
Jan 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzboneCuit
Just checked...ouch..

Jazzbone
I always think that too when I check the prices. But then again compared to gear for other planes this size they are about average. The gear for my 60 size Corsair are $130+50-70 for an air kit, and they just have straight wire struts. The electric versions that people have tried are around 200+ struts. The kicker with those is that I have seen enough reports of failures on all of them that I wouldn't give half the asking price for any of them. I'm stuck with the Robart air system until E-Flite come out with a set of 100 degree rotators for 60-120 size.
I may gripe a bit at first about the price of the E-Flite gear, but then go ahead and pay it, and I'm always glad I did. They have worked out great for me so far and give me one less thing to worry about.
Jan 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Just checked...ouch..

Only if you compare it to the cheap Chinese stuff that keeps falling apart. If they are durable and of good quality then the price is in line with other similar quality stuff. My .02 cents of course.

I don't understand (and this is not aimed at you Jazzbone) why many modelers think that the airframe is somehow a "big ticket" item while the retracts are just a simple accessory. Overall the airframe components are near the bottom of the list in terms of cost to produce when compared to the materials and skills necessary to make high quality retracts, engines, radio equipment, etc. Again, only my opinion.
Jan 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Just checked...ouch..

Jazzbone
LOL!!!!!

Ready for a heart attack? For my 50cc size esm fw-190 d9, the gear cost me$650 and that did not include an air kit(tank, fill valve, retract valve, etc).
Usually, any set of gear for a 60 size plane to include oleos will be over $230 for reliable stuff...ie robart, sierra, cjm, etc.

Does hobbyking sell some electric gear for 60 size planes with oleos for less then that? Yup. Is it quality? iffy.
Jan 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
I think the price is just fine for what we are getting. Plus if they stop working you can actually call someone and get them replaced! for me that counts for something....

Dan
Latest blog entry: Miss Foxy Lady eBuild
Jan 19, 2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
LOL!!!!!

Ready for a heart attack? For my 50cc size esm fw-190 d9, the gear cost me$650 and that did not include an air kit(tank, fill valve, retract valve, etc).
Usually, any set of gear for a 60 size plane to include oleos will be over $230 for reliable stuff...ie robart, sierra, cjm, etc.

Does hobbyking sell some electric gear for 60 size planes with oleos for less then that? Yup. Is it quality? iffy.
Same here on the retracts for a 50cc 190. That was really my point in my last post. It wasn't directed at you Jazz, even though I did quote you, it was more of a general statement about the prices on this size bird. At least in my experience so far. My TF 60 size Corsair ended up around $1300 total including gas engine, retracts, rx, batteries, servos. This one I should be able to bring in around $900 with esc and rx's and extra rx packs on hand. Not cheap, but less than a few others I have on hand.
Jan 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Quote:
You are being polite !

If you count the hours and the trouble you will go through until replacing them they end up costing more
Jan 19, 2013, 12:51 PM
Craig and Dave.......

Regarding the retract set. A friend of mine had issues with the 60-120 size gear installed in a plane using a gas motor. He said the vibration from the motor kept causing some external switch on the retract units to engage/disengage, etc which burned out the electric motors in the gear.

Has there been a redesign or does the modeller need to make a bit more room around the retract unit so nothing can accidentally bump that switch thing if using a fuel powered motor?

Quick Reply