Jan 17, 2013, 10:23 AM
Jack of all master of none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Me, too, although I already have them.
Your's look much better though Tom OH that's because you built them your self!
If you want them a certain way w/ a proper colors, I guess that's what you need to do!
And it's a lot of fun along the way.

Bruce
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2013, 11:05 AM
ARFs Are Me
Thanks.

Yes, building/painting, your own models is the only way to get what you truly want.

The ARF distributors are only going to produce what they think will sell.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
There's a lot of middle ground that is not addressed.

What happened to RTC / unpainted ARF's? Hyperion at some point listed unpainted electric warbirds, but it must be said that their camo jobs were spot on
Jan 17, 2013, 11:29 AM
ARFs Are Me
The Kangke reps once told me that it wasn't economically feasble to produce almost ready to cover models. They stated that covering adds strength to the airframe. Since the uncovered airframe is weaker, the cost savings are eaten up by the extra packaging that would be required.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
I am so excited about this one, I love the 109! Infact I am currently building the Brian Taylor
bf109f. Never too many german birds!
Tom your Stuka is breathtaking, it looks like a real airplane sitting out on the field waiting for action.

Andrew.
Jan 17, 2013, 01:45 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Right now, there are only TWO ppl at our club that even fly anything AXIS related for WWII.
And so you see the problem with making a business of axis warbirds!

On a different note, I noticed you're in Ft. Collins. Had a ball at WOTR this year, looking forward to coming back in 2013.
Jan 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
And so you see the problem with making a business of axis warbirds!

On a different note, I noticed you're in Ft. Collins. Had a ball at WOTR this year, looking forward to coming back in 2013.
Thats because at my club, most of the fliers are old fogey types. Out of the 300 members, only about 80 are active fliers and out of them only about 10-15 fly warbirds of any kind.

However, there are a lot of interest in AXIS planes, there just hasnt been a plane available that was good size, but not heavy till this H9 me-109 hits the shelves.

These older fliers arent as keen on ordering things online. They like going to the hobbyshop in person. And you cant buy an ESM at the local shop. I think you will be pleased with the sales numbers on this 109
Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 PM
I too was hoping for an Axis plane. Little concerned this new model may be a bit heavy at 11 1/2#. Most of the other Hangar 9, 60 size warbirds have been around 8 1/2 -9 1/2#. I am an electric guy and think its going to need a Power 90. Time will tell.

Dave, still waiting on electric 100 degree rotators for my Corsair & Hellcat. When? And don't be afraid to follow up this aircraft with an FW 190 or Stuka.

Let the fun Begin.

Old Fogy
Last edited by dawhale; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:40 PM
Dave, sounds like this 109 will be a winner for Horizon Hobby! As for me it'll be a keeper!
Instead of ording one on line I decided to contact my local hobby store owner to get one for me and he said that he has all ready pre-ordered the 109. I try and support our small ma & pa hobby store as long as they are able to order planes from Horizon. (Dynamic Hobbies in Hemet, CA) Great hobby shop, Great owner!!

Looking forward to your next German Warbird release! Hopefully a FW190A or the Stuka!
Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
The Kangke reps once told me that it wasn't economically feasble to produce almost ready to cover models. They stated that covering adds strength to the airframe. Since the uncovered airframe is weaker, the cost savings are eaten up by the extra packaging that would be required.
I can understand this for a super light glider, but for a fully sheeted warbird?
The marketing people at H9 and other large manufacturers underestimate the impact a really unique and well done finish has on a model (and sales revenue of course!)

E.g. how does the PZ 109 sales compare to the FMS or VQ 109?
Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar
Tom your Stuka is breathtaking, it looks like a real airplane sitting out on the field waiting for action.

Andrew.
+100
Is it the Ziroli?
Jan 18, 2013, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa
The ground handling problem is easily mitigated by attaching a spare control horn under the wingtips - the inevitable wingtip scratches are avoided, and you can replace the horn if it gets worn out. And if you paint it in the undersurface color it effectively becomes part of the airframe
And here's a pic

The ESM 109 is notorious in this respect, anything more that a hair of rudder while taxiing and the wingtip will scratch
Jan 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
ARFs Are Me
Thanks for the comments on my Stuka, guys. Yes, it is a Ziroli.

I like the H9, 109. If it handles on the ground like my Meister 109 does, there won't be any problems.
Jan 18, 2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhale
Dave, still waiting on electric 100 degree rotators for my Corsair & Hellcat. When? And don't be afraid to follow up this aircraft with an FW 190 or Stuka.

Let the fun Begin.

Old Fogy
Count me in on the heavier 100 degree rotating retracts...

Jazzbone
Jan 18, 2013, 09:55 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa
And here's a pic

The ESM 109 is notorious in this respect, anything more that a hair of rudder while taxiing and the wingtip will scratch
They make some wingtip skids that are a little less obvious than that. They mount right out under the tip where it's needed most. You can hardly see them.
Here if you must > http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK201

Quick Reply