May 18, 2013, 06:17 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
4075 AAron- here's a picture of that Taylorcraft in the Museum near you- I didn't know I had one.

This was the day of delivery, just before I left home.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2013, 11:12 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Earlier, I commented on the cabin area being many parts that needed gluing,(obviously) to make the laminated structure.

I didn't want to cut all those parts for the second fuselage, so I laid out some 1/8 " lite ply and made a single part. ...I still need to laminate balsa onto it, but it's easy to make.

The stock wings are moving along,as well as the modified fuselage.
May 21, 2013, 05:45 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I "had a meeting" with some of the best scale modelers in my area yesterday..We were discussing the relative difficulty of installing wing struts on our models.

Bob Karlsson had a Taylor E-2 Cub there,and he has a novel approach to installing the functional struts on it.,with no tools or bolts.....Just think-you can't forget bolts that aren't required, or misplace a tool for them.

Some foresight is required, while building,naturally, but the concept is simple enough....You need the struts,a couple of sizes of music wire,and some bits of brass tubing.

The concept involves simply spreading the wing end of the strut,and snapping those wires into fittings in the wing....Jury struts connect the same way. The lower end slides over a heavier wire built into the fuselage, and another wire keeps it there.The wire 'torsion' keeps it all located.

Installing/removal takes only seconds...I'm going to retrofit my Cub for some testing...I'll report back.
May 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
wood is good
How about a sketch?
May 21, 2013, 11:29 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo
How about a sketch?
I'm working on it.....The basics are as follows....Install Nylon landing gear straps in the same locations you'd normally use for a retaining bolt, into a blind nut, at the wing mounts for the struts and jury struts.

In the outer ends of the struts, install music wire, about 2" long,securely fastened as connections...Bend the forward wire toward the tail, and the rear strut wire toward the nose.....The jury struts (if used) are done similarly......

On the fuselage floor,bend a "Tie bar" from one side to the other, with the music wire extending just far enough outside the fuselage to accept the tubing on the lower end of the strut.-using a tie bar allows the wing to support itself, with little load on the fuselage mountings, as opposed to single mounts.

The lower strut tubing must be mounted securely.....using a metal strap wrapped around the tubing in a "u" shape and some screws and epoxy is recommended- don't care for solder here.

Obviously, use wire adequate for the size of your airplane.

Installation is as easy as sliding the strut on the lower fuselage wire, and connecting the outer strut ends, which locate the strut securely.....install the front wire in it's place,"spring" the rear strut far enough to clear it's mount, and insert it into place.

If the lower wire is bent a couple of degrees for an "interference " fit, when the strut outer ends are connected, no 'rattling' is present.
Jun 07, 2013, 01:56 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
So this guy calls and says " You're building a Decathlon, right?" I say yep...He says "you want another one?" I say, "well -actually ,I'm building two !"....Fine-he says- "one more won't hurt you!"
He sold me a 33% Hostetler Super Decathlon, completely (and beautifully) framed, with F/G cowl and wheel pants, and a TNT aluminum landing gear...126" wingspan, and LIGHT!

I think I'll modify it into an Xtreme,also, and go 3-D'ing.....NOT !
Jun 07, 2013, 04:54 PM
sgu
sgu
You're gonna need a bigger hangar!
Jun 07, 2013, 05:42 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I've lost 12 lbs, just to fit in this one easier...lol.

A bigger hangar's not the answer- I'll just get more stuff !
Jun 09, 2013, 06:05 AM

1/4 Scale Bud Nosen Kit for sale

Something you may want to check out...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111092182175?...84.m1555.l2649
Jun 09, 2013, 10:00 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP

Huh ?

Thanks for the link..

Funny how ads can be misleading....the two Citabrias parked side by side are a full sized one in the background, and a 42% one out front..
If someone thinks they're getting one that large, there's gonna be disappointment.

1/4 scale would only reach to the first window approximately..The one pictured is at least half the length of the larger one.

Not "shooting the messenger"- just sayin'
Jun 09, 2013, 10:38 AM
wood is good
Sounds like the messenger promoting his own eBay ad.
Jun 09, 2013, 11:08 AM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo
Sounds like the messenger promoting his own eBay ad.
Let's see:

- Member "munnster" hails from Charlottetown, PE, Canada

- eBay seller "rickmunn" (and kit) is located in Charlottetown, PE, Canada

There are links to eBay auctions all the time in the For Sale/Wanted forum. A more appropriate place for this rather than elbowing it into a guy's build thread, no?

EJWash
Jun 09, 2013, 12:30 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I'm remaining neutral....fraudulent ads have a way if biting you in the behiney, without any help from me......

A 'disclaimer' saves a lot of aggravation...."The model in the picture was NOT built from a kit this size"......
Jun 09, 2013, 12:58 PM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I'm remaining neutral....fraudulent ads have a way if biting you in the behiney, without any help from me......

A 'disclaimer' saves a lot of aggravation...."The model in the picture was NOT built from a kit this size"......
The eBay ad does give the dimensions of the Nosen Citabria kit. I don't believe for one minute that the seller is misrepresenting the kit (actually, that's a great picture of the model with the full-size in the background). What I don't think appropriate is posting the link to his auction in a build thread.

EJWash
Jun 09, 2013, 08:24 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I've lost 12 lbs, just to fit in this one easier...lol.

A bigger hangar's not the answer- I'll just get more stuff !
Reminds me of the George Carlin skit about "stuff". You buy a house, fill it with "stuff". The house is full so you buy a bigger house so you have more room for more "stuff". Or something like that.

Ken

Quick Reply