Jan 16, 2020, 06:24 PM
FPV Air Combat Nut!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin-34
i use short field landing procedure. land w full flap (45-50 degrees) and throttle. once it touches down and I have weight on wheels I kill the flaps then the throttle. the tail wheel will slam down when I kill the flaps.

setup, I try to use a kitty corner approach when I can to improve my relation ship to the wind. I take care to level the wings early allowing the dihedral to settle out any yaw I have caused.

after the tail wheel slams down on a spit, 109, p40 I get off the rudder. because most of my court-martial landings are because I over steer as the speed gets close to zero (I actualy am holding the same rudder that kept it straight as it was rolling fast but the tail wheels gets more effective as it slows and I don't give it back fast enough).

Joe
So I have to land full flaps in my Spitfire flying FPV approach otherwise the flight path drops below the nose at approach speed, ie. I would need to raise the nose to keep on glide path that nose would block view of the runway if no flaps were used. Not a problem in LOS flying, but critical for FPV more so then reducing landing speed.

See ending of video below for a attempted 3-pointer landing that turned out to be a 5-pointer. I don’t remember touching the rudder before the wing tips dragged. Not much time to do take any remedial action between wheels touch and wing-dip begins. The rest of the video is pretty entertaining, too.

What is a kitty corner approach?

FPV Dogfight: Spitfire vs F-14 Tomcat (7 min 5 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2020, 07:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Awesome video Turbine. The kitty corner approach is to land diagonally, so that you have a smaller crosswind component.
Your ground loop here is related to your alignment at touchdown. In this video you're landing with the nose of the aircraft well off from the direction of travel - hard to save that. Maybe in the future you can try for a longer final, so that it's more stabilized?
Rough landings may just be the way it is gonna be though - landing a semi-scale fighter plane with no instrument or butt-o-meter to guide your yaw is tough tough...
Best,
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
So I have to land full flaps in my Spitfire flying FPV approach otherwise the flight path drops below the nose at approach speed, ie. I would need to raise the nose to keep on glide path that nose would block view of the runway if no flaps were used. Not a problem in LOS flying, but critical for FPV more so then reducing landing speed.

See ending of video below for a attempted 3-pointer landing that turned out to be a 5-pointer. I donít remember touching the rudder before the wing tips dragged. Not much time to do take any remedial action between wheels touch and wing-dip begins. The rest of the video is pretty entertaining, too.

What is a kitty corner approach?

https://youtu.be/C88coyfe1nc
Jan 16, 2020, 09:36 PM
fighter or target, which r u
I love it! my son and I do combat a lot for awhile we did dumb cameras and counted the seconds we had the other guy on camera.

Joe
Jan 18, 2020, 07:14 PM
FPV Air Combat Nut!
Counting 2 seconds the bandit stay steady in the reticle is how they do it at Air Combat USA. Then the instructor pulls smoke. According to a friend that works there. Not so easy to place the bandit there for mere two seconds, especially in RC scale. But loads of fun regardless.
Feb 07, 2020, 03:21 PM
Is the FMS BF-109 rear electric retract the one of choice for this plane ?
Feb 07, 2020, 07:17 PM
The tail wheel gear?
Feb 07, 2020, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss
The tail wheel gear?
Yes, for the tail wheel.
Feb 08, 2020, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC
Yes, for the tail wheel.
Then yes....that's what I used. It did break once, but replaced it.
However, I don't retract it anymore as many F and G variants didn't anyway.

Quick Reply