Oct 24, 2019, 03:38 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC
Finally getting a NIB of this now rare and beautiful plane kit, thanks to a club member who received a tip. Will be assembling it electric powered. Now to search this thread for all the tips and advice.

I wonder if there is a post that summarizes the tips and advice for the assembly.

Is a Power 60 470 kv the motor of choice for this plane ?
Nice snag. This thread isn't too big, and the other one is even smaller. Might be a good read through. For the motor, E-Flite recommended the Power 60 400kv, but I can't see why the 470 wouldn't work. Don't remember what I have in mine....
Best,
Josh
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2019, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander
Nice snag. This thread isn't too big, and the other one is even smaller. Might be a good read through. For the motor, E-Flite recommended the Power 60 400kv, but I can't see why the 470 wouldn't work. Don't remember what I have in mine....
Best,
Josh
You will have to watch the amp draw with the higher kv motor and may have to reduce the diameter of the prop. Good luck

BIW
Oct 24, 2019, 09:43 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Agreed.
Oct 24, 2019, 10:24 AM
fighter or target, which r u
my sons flew this year see here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-doing/page25

he is using our std power system 15x10 APCe, on Turnagy 5060-380, castle 100amp ESC, 8s5a20c battery. flys great.

Joe
Oct 24, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the advice.

My club mate who also found one in September converted his to electric using a Rimfire 80, a 500 kv motor, 110 Amp ESC. He intends to have it flying in the spring. His was originally assembled with an engine but not flown or even started up.
Oct 24, 2019, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Man you guys are so lucky to still have one of these. I’d love to fine one NIB somewhere
Oct 25, 2019, 09:47 AM
Arrowhead
Hmmm... next Warbirds other the Atlantic might see the P-51 gaggle “bounced” by a horde of Huns!

Creative RC, with you and Charles adding to the 109 fleet in the region I’m tempted to get cracking on the CMP one he sold me!
Oct 25, 2019, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79
Man you guys are so lucky to still have one of these. I’d love to fine one NIB somewhere
I could not believe our good luck as I had given up hope and was eyeing the Seagull E version at VQ Warbirds which has a good review. Was also hoping Motion RC might have the Black Horse E version in their next shipment. If Motion RC gets them, I cannot imagine those staying in stock very long.
Oct 25, 2019, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Hmmm... next Warbirds other the Atlantic might see the P-51 gaggle ďbouncedĒ by a horde of Huns!

Creative RC, with you and Charles adding to the 109 fleet in the region Iím tempted to get cracking on the CMP one he sold me!
I know,....there is now a potential for three Hangar 9's at that event and four if your add your larger CMP. I just hope I will remember which one I am flying if they are all up in the air at the same time......
Oct 28, 2019, 08:03 AM
fighter or target, which r u
Quote:
I know,....there is now a potential for three Hangar 9's at that event and four if your add your larger CMP. I just hope I will remember which one I am flying if they are all up in the air at the same time......
so whats the thoughts on painting over the stock covering. can it be done w epoxy paint or do I have to go to lowes paint, and will it stick, and stay stuck to it?

Joe
Oct 28, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I could not believe our good luck as I had given up hope and was eyeing the Seagull E version at VQ Warbirds which has a good review. Was also hoping Motion RC might have the Black Horse E version in their next shipment. If Motion RC gets them, I cannot imagine those staying in stock very long.
Yeah I had the Seagull version and repainted it. It was a good flying plane but i ended up selling it like a dummy. I keep asking Motion if they are going to be bringing in the Black Horse models 109 and they say eventually they will have it along with the entire lineup of Black Horse models. I hope it does come in soon. I miss having a 109 in my lineup!
Oct 28, 2019, 08:57 AM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin-34
so whats the thoughts on painting over the stock covering. can it be done w epoxy paint or do I have to go to lowes paint, and will it stick, and stay stuck to it?

Joe
Iíve painted bare ultracote with Tamiya rattle cans with good results. Just scuffed it real good first. Iíd expect that if you treat the stock scheme as a primer coat it should work well.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Iíve painted bare ultracote with Tamiya rattle cans with good results. Just scuffed it real good first. Iíd expect that if you treat the stock scheme as a primer coat it should work well.
Agree with 105's statement. When i repainted my Seagull models 109 I used a scotch bright pad and went over the entire airframe really good and wiped it down with denatured alcohol. Sprayed 2 very light coats over the airframe sanding with 180-220 grit sandpaper between coats and doing a final wipe down with alcohol after the 2nd coat. Then sprayed the Tamiya AS paints in light coats when i was finished i went over the entire airframe with Minwax Polycryllic matte and i never had a problem with it
Nov 25, 2019, 05:13 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I have been very lucky to have just acquired one from a local RCer .
Eflight 60, Castle esc and all the bells and whistles installed !
I may plan a repaint or fly it as is , its very nice in stock configuration but I would like to lose some of the drawn -in flying surface details.
Does this plane have any bad flying habits ?
Nov 25, 2019, 09:04 AM
Foam Wrecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Does this plane have any bad flying habits ?
Once in the air - no, not really. Flies very well. Full-flap landing approaches and landings are a thing of beauty. It's a handful on the ground... it IS a 109 after all. Wing skids are recommended. It's one of my fave planes of all time.

Quick Reply