Jan 09, 2013, 09:02 PM
Thread OP

1S charging lead

So I have this charging lead for three 1S Lipos. I am using a Triton charger and also have a Equinox balancer. Do I connect to the balancer plug with the Equinox or JST plug by itself? Do I charge as a 1S or 3S battery? Do I add up the total milliamps of all three batteries or do I charge at just the milliamps of one battery? Do I even need the Equinox balancer connected? Do I charge at over 1C if batteries can handle it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2013, 10:22 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
That one will require three 1S batteries connected at the same time, it is called in Series, AND the red JST main lead plugged in too.
Basically the same as charging a 3S pack and you may have to convert the red connector to fit your charge lead of your charger.

Rick
Jan 09, 2013, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
So I charge it as 3S battery at the capacity of one battery or capacity of all three?
Jan 10, 2013, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin-8
So I have this charging lead for three 1S Lipos. I am using a Triton charger and also have a Equinox balancer. Do I connect to the balancer plug with the Equinox or JST plug by itself? Do I charge as a 1S or 3S battery? Do I add up the total milliamps of all three batteries or do I charge at just the milliamps of one battery? Do I even need the Equinox balancer connected? Do I charge at over 1C if batteries can handle it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think Rampman made a mistake. It looks to me like the cable is for parallel charging. My reasoning is that I only see two wires in the balance connector. If it were a series cable there would be four wires.

If I am correct you would charge as a 1S battery. You would add the milliamps of the batteries connected. You may or may not need the balance connector. That would depend on your charger. But I think probably not. You can charge at whatever C rate your batteries and charger can handle.

However I personally would not use the equipment you have. There are very good and relatively inexpensive chargers available with the balancer built in. In my opinion now is a good time to upgrade to newer equipment.

Glen
Jan 10, 2013, 12:03 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
The image shows 4 wires. The two middle wires are white on a white background. Click on image and then again on image to view full sized. It is a JST-XH 4 pin connector with 4 wires in it.
I stand behind my original post but unless the OP opens up the shrink or links to where he/she bought the harness we will not know for sure.

Rick
Jan 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks Rick. I knew it was a 4 pin connector but just could not see the wires in the middle.

Glen
Jan 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
So, I can charge through the JST connector without balancing or charge through the balancing tap with my equinox/3S charge plug/Triton?
Then, is the milliamps per cell or total of all three cells combined?
Thanks Guys!
Pete
Jan 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin-8
So, I can charge through the JST connector without balancing or charge through the balancing tap with my equinox/3S charge plug/Triton?
Then, is the milliamps per cell or total of all three cells combined?
Thanks Guys!
Pete
In series circuits the voltage adds but the milliamps remains the same.

For example: three 1S 150mah batteries the voltage is 12.6 and the charge current is 150ma.

Glen

Quick Reply