Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:55 PM
jaizon is offline
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
Discussion

How would you fix this?


Hi all,

Small dent, not a crease in circled area. Center panel of Supra. Not really big at all, just annoying to look at. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Thanks

Preston
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
Skysailer is offline
Find More Posts by Skysailer
Registered User
To fix it so that you can't see it you have to be able to spray paint the correct original colour shade. That's the real issue when you are most interested in looks.

All you need is to lightly sand the area, fill with lightweight filler and then spray paint. Lots of work to get it perfect again!

I have just completed some major repairs on my Scorpion F5J and will wait to see how it flies before I paint!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:15 PM
bluffman is offline
Find More Posts by bluffman
Registered User
bluffman's Avatar
Get some White tape cover it up, that seems to help me get over small dents faster. Ian
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:36 PM
rcglider is offline
Find More Posts by rcglider
Registered User
+1 on the white tape. Save yourself some work!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:45 PM
tkallev is offline
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303-AMA Fellow
tkallev's Avatar
Buy a new panel and send that damaged POS to me (LOL)!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:49 PM
jaizon is offline
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Buy a new panel and send that damaged POS to me (LOL)!
I need an address.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:55 PM
mwhitman is offline
Find More Posts by mwhitman
Fly DLG
Put tape, holographic tape, or a sticker on it. Then, if the dent is off center, put another matching piece of tape on the other half of the panel to make it symmetrical.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:55 PM
wr_mizzard is offline
Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Is it DS'able?
wr_mizzard's Avatar
This should do the trick...



-James
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:01 AM
timmig is offline
Find More Posts by timmig
Registered User
timmig's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
Hi all,

Small dent, not a crease in circled area. Center panel of Supra. Not really big at all, just annoying to look at. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Thanks

Preston
Put your AMA #'S OVER IT!!!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:51 AM
airporter is offline
Find More Posts by airporter
Registered User
Often you can raise a small dent using a piece of a paper towel and your covering iron. Set the iron as hot as it will go, wet the paper towel and place it over the dent. Briefly place the iron on the dent, rocking it over the dented area with gentle pressure. The boiling water will heat the skin and 'generally' cause everything to relax to it's original position. If the first time doesn't have any effect, rewet the paper towel and apply the iron for a longer time. In all cases remove the iron before the paper towel goes dry as the wet paper towel limits the temperature to 212F.

Although this will generally lift the dent it often causes the surface epoxy to shrink, allowing the fabric weave to show through. I'm not sure what the appearance will be if this is one of the Vladimir spread tow skins, but I suspect that the change in surface appearance will be less than with regular fabric weaves.

Hope this helps.

YMMV
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 AM
John Walter is offline
Find More Posts by John Walter
Registered User
John Walter's Avatar
Keep us posted on the success of any repair. Maybe my son can use the same technique on his plane:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=54
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
jaizon is offline
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
UPDATE:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Airporter has given a really good one and if the dent were on the bottom, out of sight, I might try it. Kinda nervous about messing with the top of the wing like that.

I have always found it a good idea to keep Vagisil in the house, but I'm out of it right now and I'm too lazy to drive to the drug store. They also look at me a little funny whenever I purchase it.

And mwhitman has reminded me that, yes, I do use Monokote chrome trim on my leading edges for the strobe effect when turning. So I think I'm just gonna do that.

But keep the great ideas coming. Who knows when a better mouse trap will appear?

Thanks, again, RC Groupers.

Preston
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
jh2rc97 is offline
Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by airporter View Post
Often you can raise a small dent using a piece of a paper towel and your covering iron. Set the iron as hot as it will go, wet the paper towel and place it over the dent. Briefly place the iron on the dent, rocking it over the dented area with gentle pressure. The boiling water will heat the skin and 'generally' cause everything to relax to it's original position. If the first time doesn't have any effect, rewet the paper towel and apply the iron for a longer time. In all cases remove the iron before the paper towel goes dry as the wet paper towel limits the temperature to 212F.

Although this will generally lift the dent it often causes the surface epoxy to shrink, allowing the fabric weave to show through. I'm not sure what the appearance will be if this is one of the Vladimir spread tow skins, but I suspect that the change in surface appearance will be less than with regular fabric weaves.

Hope this helps.

YMMV
I did this on a crease on my Supra tip a while back it it helped but mine was much worse.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1570643&page=3

Alan
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
target is offline
Find More Posts by target
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Just keep the plane in the air flying as long as possible.
Then you shouldn't see it!

I know stuff like that can bug people, but it IS a contest sailplane, so just think of it as a tool to accomplish the flight tasks with.

R,
Target
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:53 PM
jaizon is offline
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
Okay. I did the repair. I used the wet paper towel/heating iron method. It worked quite well. I got about 90% of it out and it's very hard to notice now if you are not looking for it. Good enough for me. Thanks, everyone.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How long would you trust this batt.pack 5616 Electric Plane Talk 1 May 07, 2012 04:08 AM
Discussion how would you extend this nose? midrian Electric Sailplanes 10 Apr 09, 2012 12:33 PM
Discussion How would you fix this? (pictures) Street Doc Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 8 Nov 29, 2006 11:26 PM
Discussion How would you fix this little bugger? flystoolow Hand Launch 6 May 22, 2006 10:41 PM
Discussion How would you fix this? I'm Rick James Slope 13 Jan 04, 2006 12:56 AM