New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by unialfred
Mini-HowTo

Multirotor parachute tutorial

So a little while ago I created a parachute recovery system for my Quadcopter. It works so well that I've decided to make a quick tutorial on how to make one, It really is very simple.
Here's the tutorial:
Quadcopter parachute release tutorial (6 min 28 sec)

And here's it in action:
Quadcopter parachute release tutorial (6 min 28 sec)

Enjoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by e.Man
very cool unialfred!

if i may make a suggestion, you might want to look at chutes with less shroud lines...

http://www.the-rocketman.com/chutes.html

more expensive, granted, but think about the equipment you're protecting

trust me, there's nothing more exciting than to see your chute deploy in a big knot and watch thousands of dollars worth of hardware falling to earth at terminal velocity

i used to use those chutes for UAV helicopters and they worked well - less shroud lines = less chance of entanglement

also, i'd think about rubber-banding your shroud lines together so they don't become tangled in the container from normal use/vibration before you deploy

this was my first test with a chute something like yours - later i changed to the rocketman chutes because of deployment failures and refined the system...

parachute recovery system - RC helicopter - heli view (0 min 41 sec)

parachute recovery system - rc helicopter - ground view (0 min 39 sec)
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by kelloggair
Quad Questions Team member
look at this

vhttp://www.marsparachutes.com/
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by e.Man
pretty cool - nice and professional looking anyway
unfortunately, after you get done mounting that i don't think you'd have room to mount anything worth protecting doesn't look too light

what is very interesting to me though is how fast that chute is inflating - i could never do that using the packing method they are
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by unialfred
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
look at this

vhttp://www.marsparachutes.com/
You might also want to look at the price tag :P $499, no thanks. I'll stick with my <$10 parachute system which works just fine
With eight lines it works just fine, Haven't had a single line tangle yet or mallfunction. I've even tested opening it while at different angles and fully inverted, It still opens just fine. The size is the only problem I have ,It weighs a little over 150 grams so isn't really much extra weight, especially if you were putting it on a hexa or something. I think If I had a smaller tupperware container I would be able to pack the parachute down smaller but then you run the risk of the chute getting wedged.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by e.Man
you could use phenolic or carbon tubing - both are light and readily available from the rocketry industry. this would allow you to pack the chute much tighter into a smaller space

the problem then becomes deployment - you could use a spring like they did (heavy), or a small explosive charge (FF black powder) and an electric match - that is what i did in the heli recovery test video. all this is very inexpensive. also take a look at different materials maybe and see if what you're using is the thinnest and lightest

i didn't realize their systems cost $500 clams - that is insane - you could build a replica for probably less than $50 using all off-the-shelf parts and probably less using the material you're using
Last edited by e.Man; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by Hamanu
I have to agree $500 is a bit high for that system
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by HuttonIt
CrashMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamanu View Post
I have to agree $500 is a bit high for that system
For that price I would expect a fanfare and some fireworks on deployment and a waiting group of firemen to catch my copter should disaster strike.... I like the $10 version.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by AhLee
Very nicely done mate!! For a 10bucks!!