Jan 08, 2013, 04:31 PM
Discussion

EZ V929 Performance Prop Upgrade !

This may have been posted earlier so my apologies if this is redundant...

My FPV / mini quad mentor, Patrick, suggested this simple prop. mod for the V929
and it is especially effective when flying this great little mini outdoors when the wind might be a bit too much otherwise.

The mod just consists of replacing the stock V929 props with GWS GWEP5443xx
props that are available from GoodLuckBuy here:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gws-gw-ep...r-2-pair-.html

The props are a direct drop-in replacement, and even the small prop grub screw hole on the prop aligns correctly.

The GWS props have greater pitch but smaller diameter aprox. 134.5mm vs the stock 135.1mm diameter. The cord of the GWS props is also narrower.

All of my GWS props required some balancing after installation and a few pieces of clear "Scotch" type tape did the trick.

The new props produce an immediate difference in the flight characteristics !!

Much more vertical thrust and better yaw authority and greater hover stability though your throttle management must be more precise with the increased
thrust (!)

I have not had an opportunity to check if flight times are affected but since I was getting 8-9min with the stock props I'm sure new flight times will be fine.

I've attached some pics.

Thanks again to Patrick.

:harry
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2013, 04:38 PM
I ordered from Ebay and they shipped wrong and I got all clockwise props . Well I tried it on my very unstable V929 with 2 GWS CW and 2 standard CCW, and it surprised me how much better it flew. Can't wait for when I receive my GWS CCW on order.
Jan 08, 2013, 04:52 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
Good info, Thanks
Jan 08, 2013, 05:36 PM
Indeed very good info, how do you go about balancing them if I may ask?
Jan 08, 2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1
Indeed very good info, how do you go about balancing them if I may ask?
Here's how I did it:

Install all the new props. Check to insure you have the correct CCW / CW props installed..

Unplug all but one motor.

While carefully holding the V929 slowly advance the throttle while you "feel" / listen for excessive vibration. Correctly balanced the prop should exhibit a nice clean whir with no vibration.

Place a piece of tape across the back side of the prop. (Try under the GWS imprint for starters).

See how it improves / gets worse.

Apply more tape or remove and apply to the opposite side of the prop.

Only balance one prop at a time.

When complete hold the V929 and again run up the throttle just to check for vibration with all props spinning.

I needed two pieces of tape on all props.

Hope this helps.

:harry
Jan 08, 2013, 10:55 PM
GOT WINGS
I used CA glue on mine for balancing and did it on a shaft that the blades could spin freely on before mounting. I have heard you can also use clear nail polish. This has been discussed in V929 thread several times and also in MQX thread. They also reduce or eliminate the WOD
Jan 09, 2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try with tape first since it's removable.
Jan 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
Here's what I did:

Tape sewing needle to table edge.
Place blade on needle.
Buy clear nail polish and apply small amount to end sticking up. Keep a rag nearby to dab blade on if you added too much.

Very easy. The hard part was putting these on my V949. The tolerances between some of the axles and gws holes was a little tight. Well worth the upgrade, however.
Jan 11, 2013, 12:29 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
I had to order a motor for my v929 so ordered the GWS props for the v929 and the v959 in transit...

Banggood has the props but I had to search "GWS" to find them.
Jan 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Thank I will order some for my outdoor flying come Spring.

BTW Those props are 1.28 ea at banggood but they dont have white. Not that much cheaper but if your getting a bunch of sets you'll save some money.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/gws-ep5443.html

Does anyone have a recommendation for good indoor props for the v929/949? I'm currently flying in my basement with a 7 foot ceiling and know I'll destroy this props or my quad with extra thrust
Jan 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
forgot to mention if you buy 3 pieces (each) it comes down to 1.05 per prop so if your loading up on lots of props its not that bad of a deal.
Jan 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
Team Drone Art

I got these props in from Banggood and really, really like how they fly. I put two EP5443 in front and left the stock in the rear. And tested throttle punches indoors. The side with the EP5443 props consistently gain altitude quicker.

Anyways, I made a blog post with some close up photos including the ridge.

http://www.hacksmods.com/2013/01/gws-ep5443-props/

Quick Reply