German flying ocean Stingray... - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 06:27 PM
When pigs fly rc
pavelow
nice job on the paint!
what did you use for the spots? they look great!
Jan 31, 2013, 06:50 PM
Restricted User
Congrats!
What's the weight?
Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added question
Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM
The model was painted with white latex exterior house paint using a roller. I then randomly drew circles with an airbrush and blue latex hobby paint (cheap stuff, like from Walmart). I then went back and filled in between the circles with the blue paint. I used a darker blue (navy blue) for the edges on the top and bottom of the wing. Finally, I used some thinned florescent yellow around the edges of the white circles.

For Stephan, I didn't weigh the airframe before painting. I'll get an all up weight once I put the motor and electronics in. The house paint does add a lot of weight, it's one of the drawbacks building with FFF. I tried some white spray paint initially. To get a heavy enough coat to cover the native blue color of the foam the spray paint would have eaten into the foam. Once the foam has a white prime coat, it doesn't take much of the color paint to get good saturation of color.
Jan 31, 2013, 08:39 PM
When pigs fly rc
Cant wait for a flight video. Good luck
Feb 01, 2013, 02:22 PM
I'll hold off any videos until Stringfly gets his in the air. I don't want to hijack his thread, and I could not have made my stingray without his plans. Any chance of more photos from you, Stringfly?

By the way, I put a construction photo of the stingray in the Foam-Tac contest thread, and won the monthly prize! Now I get a free bottle of glue and enough money to purchase more foam. I see a scuba diver flyguy in my immediate future.
Feb 02, 2013, 10:45 AM

Looking good.

Looking great Pavelow. Nice gills. Post at will !!! No problem here.
Sorry guys, just have not been well lately. Hopefully getting a little better. I did get basic color down using a acrylic umber brush on paint. Plan to do spots with a light blue craft paint the wife had and then airbrush black around spots and edges.

Stringfly <>+++++
Feb 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
First flight was kind of short--I forgot to reverse the elevators. Launch, pull back on the sticks, and watch it nose straight into the ground! After a few minutes of repairs, and resetting the transmitter, second flight was a success! Very gentle little flyer. It was a little pitch sensitive, so I'll dial down the elevator throws. The flight ended when it settled into a nice soft pine tree (60 feet off the ground). While I was rushing home to get the ladder and axe, the wind blew it out of the tree. A little spackle on the nose and it will be as good as new.

I did not couple the ailerons and rudder. It only required a small amount of rudder in the turns.

One of my local flyers caught the flights on camera, I'll post the you-tube thread when I get it.
Feb 02, 2013, 03:55 PM
By the way, the flying weight is 580 grams
Feb 02, 2013, 07:15 PM
Restricted User
Pavelow,
congratulation for the maiden.
580 gramms is twice the weight of mine, but obviously not an issue. I'am very interested in the video.
rgds
Stephan
Feb 02, 2013, 09:05 PM
Yes, house paint is heavy. That's 580 grams with a 1100 mAh 3S battery. I'll try to 2S battery on it tomorrow.
Feb 03, 2013, 02:08 PM
Here's the first flight video. I'm going to make another one and try to lighten up the weight.
Most Bizzare Radio Control Plane/Fish? you have ever seen!! With Crash too. (2 min 44 sec)
Feb 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
Restricted User
Hi,
yours is much faster than mine. At that speed my ray would flutter.
Looks very nice in the sky.
Hope, stringfly gets well soon to finish his ray.
rgds
Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Feb 03, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo
Feb 03, 2013, 04:09 PM

Cool !!!!

It's ALIVE.... and It flies !!!!. Thanks for the video Pavelow. Looks cool in the air. Death to the tree !!

Just working on spots on mine. Will airbrush black around the spots and edges.

Stringfly <>+++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Feb 03, 2013, 05:56 PM
When pigs fly rc
nice job guys

Quick Reply