Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 AM
Great !... thanks Richard.

Stringfly <>+++++
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Restricted User
Thanks, RichardN
Those pictures were taken at Inter-Ex 2012. We had a steady light wind and could do nice high-alpha zero-groundspeed flying.
Stringfly, you need to convince yr. flying buddies to build stingrays as well. A swarm of them is an impressive sight and draws big attention at flying events.
rgds
Stephan
Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Lost in the Sky
Hi Stephan,

I am building a "Rochen" and got interested in them after seeing them on the Inter-Ex site. I adapted the plans for US letter sized paper and sent them on to Stringfly and he started the thread. I have one started and should have it ready for an indoor meet in March and it will meet up with Stringfly's at SMALL this summer.

I have followed Inter-Ex for years and hope to see one in person someday. Over here, the closest thing to Inter-Ex we have is our favorite event SMALL, which takes place near Little Rock, Arkansas every summer.

SMALL 2013 thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1789524

Links to all past SMALL threads: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1460283

The spirit of our events is the same and I have actively promoted the inspiration of Inter-Ex at SMALL: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=13

We would welcome you all the other Inter-Ex pilots and your creations at SMALL 2013--May 31-June 2. Our farthest away participant came from Alaska last year and we would be happy to have some even farther away pilots from across the oceans.

Richard
Jan 27, 2013, 07:50 PM
A little work today. Have tape hinged the elevons and working on the tail. Using some small pinned hinges in the 3 mm depron with some 1/64 ply reinforcement on each side. Added some carbon on top of the tail for some strength. Got a feeling this could get beat around a bit by just handling. Just about ready for cleaning and start the painting.

Stringfly <>+++++
Jan 27, 2013, 07:58 PM
When pigs fly rc
No test flight before the paint?
Jan 28, 2013, 08:35 AM
No test flights..... I have full confidence in it flying...
Start painting today.

Stringfly <>++++++
Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 AM
When pigs fly rc
AWESOME , cant wait to see it !
Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY
No test flights..... I have full confidence in it flying
Someone who builds to fly....and not build to survive a crash
Jan 28, 2013, 01:53 PM
Restricted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY
No test flights..... I have full confidence in it flying...
Start painting today.

Stringfly <>++++++
No risk here.
Stephan
Jan 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
Restricted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
Hi Stephan,

I am building a "Rochen" and got interested in them after seeing them on the Inter-Ex site. I adapted the plans for US letter sized paper and sent them on to Stringfly and he started the thread. I have one started and should have it ready for an indoor meet in March and it will meet up with Stringfly's at SMALL this summer.

I have followed Inter-Ex for years and hope to see one in person someday. Over here, the closest thing to Inter-Ex we have is our favorite event SMALL, which takes place near Little Rock, Arkansas every summer.

SMALL 2013 thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1789524

Links to all past SMALL threads: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1460283

The spirit of our events is the same and I have actively promoted the inspiration of Inter-Ex at SMALL: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=13

We would welcome you all the other Inter-Ex pilots and your creations at SMALL 2013--May 31-June 2. Our farthest away participant came from Alaska last year and we would be happy to have some even farther away pilots from across the oceans.

Richard
Richard,
thanks for pointing me to SMALL. Beautifull. I can sense the spirit from the pictures, very inter-exish. You're all welcome here at IE and if i ever make it to the United States SMALL will be on my list of places to go.
Thanks
Stephan
Jan 28, 2013, 02:13 PM
I've cut out the pieces for mine (from FFF). I added some tabs on the main body to help hold the body in place while the glue dries. The FFF is wide enough to cut the whole wing out in one piece. Thanks for your photos, they help a lot on this build. I do have a couple of questions:

1. What's the purpose of the plywood plate in the middle of the plane? It will help tie your two carbon fiber tube together, but the original didn't use a fore/aft spar.

2. How are you going to mount the battery access panel? And any ideas how to secure the battery?

3. Any idea on where you are going to hold it to launch it?

4. Did you put in any down or side thrust on your motor mount?

5. Please report on your control throws after you get it test flown.

If possible, a shot of how you placed your radio gear would be helpful.

Best of luck on your maiden flight. I hope to get mine up this weekend.
Jan 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
Restricted User
Pavelow, i do not know FFF, so i do not know what it takes to finish it.

answers based on my depron version:
1.) my 'ray has a 3mm x 0,5 mm carbon fore-aft spar. center-plate holds both spars together.
2.) velcro inside
3.) there's a double-layer 6mm depron fin underneath the wing starting about 15 cm aft.nose going to where the tail begins. Check pics in post 45 to see detail.
4.) both, just 2 or 3 degrees
5.) about 45 degrees with much of exponential, 100 % rudder mixed to ailerons. This way you can fly smooth and wild, if you like.
servos, esc and rx are more or less "thrown in" where it looks right, not critical. Check pics in post 45 to see my servo location.
Curious on your fff-version, any chance for pictures?
Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Jan 28, 2013, 07:34 PM
I'll get some photos posted tomorrow. Also, thanks for the replies. Sorry if I sounded a little demanding in my earlier post. I missed the underwing fin in the plans somehow.

I never made it to Inter-ex while I was in Germany, but have followed the event every year for inspiration.
Jan 30, 2013, 12:19 AM
Here's some photos of my build. I made the following changes to the plan:

1. Primary material is Fan Fold Foam (FFF).

2. Double thickness of foam in the nose to provide a mounting ledge for the access hatch. Hatch will be secured with magnets.

3. Doubled the size of the access hatch to provide easier access to the battery and radio gear.

4. Double thickness for bottom fin and tail. I sandwiched a piece of Tyvek between the two sides to reinforce the tail. The Tyvek also then becomes the hinge.

5. Made tabs to align the body to the wing. I would not recommend this, made too many holes in the wing and the front of the body did not match up with the plans.

6. Used Beacon Foam-Tac glue for body and hinges. I highly recommend this glue. Speeds up construction and hold better than anything else I've used of foam.

7. Used Hobbico Hobbylite filler to fill all seams.
Jan 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
When pigs fly rc
So far so good keep the pics coming!

Quick Reply