Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Thread OP

Video

Found a maiden video. Looks a bit tail heavy but still looks very cool flying. A real floater.

Stringfly <>++++++

Maiden Flight Glubschi - Der fliegende Rochen (4 min 50 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
Stringfly
Great progress so far! Looks great.
What motor and prop are you looking to go with?
Jan 15, 2013, 02:53 AM
Lost in the Sky
A note to those using the Stingray plans in post #1: The tiled plans have been tiled for US 8 1/2" x 11" letter size paper. The original tiled plans from the FMT site didn't work well for me and I used Scale and Tile to adapt them to our paper size.
Jan 15, 2013, 08:36 AM
Thread OP

plan s

Thanks a bunch Richard. Mine came out at 43 inch wing span from upturned tip to tip.

Not sure of the motor yet. Just have to go thru mine and see what will work. Will probably do a flat vertical plate up front to mount it.

Stringfly <>++++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Jan 15, 2013, 05:50 PM
Restricted User
Stringfly,
we are using Dymond AL2730 bl outrunner with this specs:

•Kv: 1700 / 90 Watt
•LiPo: 2 - 3S
•Current: ca. 8 A
•shaft: 3 mm
•weight: 23 g
airscrew (7,4 V) •8 x 4,3: 8 A, 360 g thrust
(11,1 V) •7 x 3,5: 7,8 A, 450 g thrust

Very common, should not be a problem to get a similar one. I use the 2s setup with 8 prop, vertical for about 20-30 meters before all airspeed is gone. Good enough. Lutz uses 3s setup, more oooomph.

Re: floater
Take care in thermals. During my first flight i entered a thermal lift. Motor off and still climbing like crazy without any groundspeed, but totally stable. Interesting experience. The ray can handle some wind, which is surprising to me, given the very low weight-area ratio.
Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Jan 16, 2013, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
Thanks StephanB. I am sure I have something close.
No work on it last night, have a indoor fly tonight and had to get some other stuff ready to fly.

Stringfly <>++++
Jan 21, 2013, 08:47 PM
Thread OP

Coming along

A little bit more work on the ray. Had a Eflight 300 so had to do a mount for it. Mine now has a nose..... Some pictures of the front pieces and bottom access hatch. It swings a 8 x 4 prop very nicely on 2S. Pong eyes in and covers.

Stringfly <>++++
Jan 21, 2013, 09:05 PM
When pigs fly rc
Wow it looks great! You do very nice work. It looks close to a maiden then some touch up and paint. Is that triangle opening for battery access?
Jan 22, 2013, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Yes for battery and radio access.

Stringfly <>++++
Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 AM
Restricted User
Well done, Stringfly!
--
we use 100% mix of rudder (the tail) following the ailerons. Roll-response is a little weak, the rudder really helps. Otherwise the ray is big fun to fly indoors and outdoors.
Stephan
Jan 22, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, this is a really cool thread. The Sea World vids were great. Would be really nice to do a fly-in and invite kids. Would be a good way of getting others interested in R/C.

Ksqm
Jan 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
Alright, clearing off the building board to make one. Anybody have any information on the scuba divers? They look like a modified sky man (http://www.skyman.at/). I'm going to build a scuba diver to go with the stingray, just wondering if I should modify the flyguy or the skyman.
Jan 26, 2013, 09:01 AM
Restricted User
As far, as i know, the divers are based on a skyman and a vector thrust unit has been added to the divers head.

stringfly, any progress?

Stephan
Jan 27, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thread OP

Progress....

Not to much progress this week. Been under the weather. Working on today. Will post some pics later. Stephan B. would you happen to have a shot of the underside showing gills and mouth ?? Will look again at the videos. I did find this one picture of a real one.

Stringfly <>+++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Jan 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
Lost in the Sky
Park,

Here are several pictures I found of the stingray model bottoms.

Richard

Quick Reply