Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
Finally, a reasonable true comment.

Good thing the pros, that have been making feature films and commercials for years with great success (using servo gimbals), don't read forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi666
@Velociraptor73
Because the camera is always below the copter, while the axis of rotation is ABOVE the camera anyway.

When the copter moves from side to side, it is rotating around its center - NOT around the gimbal... so the camera will move anyway.

Therefore difference of 1-2 centimeters of the lens from the rotational axis of gimbal makes no significant difference.

I'm not saying, that this won't affect the picture - it will, but reaaaaly just a very small bit. More important is that how far from rotational axis is the camera hanging, which is 10+cm most of the times.

So please stop saying that all gimbals that don't allow moving the camera to exact center are useless.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 PM
I never finish anyth
It being far away from the rotational axis will raise/lower the camera and if you are over 10ft in the air you will never notice.

It being off of the center of the gimbal and if the gimbal isn't perfect will cause twisting which is more noticeable in video.

The point is EVERYTHING should be as balanced and centered as possible for perfect results because no one part of these things will ever be perfect 100% of the time.

Stop arguing and lets work together on getting as close to perfect as possible.
Jan 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
It being off of the center of the gimbal and if the gimbal isn't perfect will cause twisting which is more noticeable in video.

Not true. If the gimbal is working perfectly, it will keep the camera level... no twisting.

Twisting can happen if the gimbal is not working as should, but it has nothing to do with the position of the lens.

It does not matter, that the lens will move side-to-side 1-2cm during the correction... as you said, when you are in the air, it cannot be seen.

People fail to understand, that camera is actually not rotating - so its not important to keep the lens in the center.... what is rotating against the picture itself - is the copter...
Gimbal is just keeping the camera level...
Jan 23, 2013, 12:35 PM

Faq

Found this under FAQ on the simplebgc page

The receiver is only CPPM (Sum PPM) signal. Will the system work with him?
No, not currently working, but may be supported in the future. I myself have a receiver and really want to use it.

Does this mean the system won't work for mikrokopter users?
Jan 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
Do you know steadicam?

Center of rotation (gimbal) is waaay below the camera - however it still works.

Why?

Because the camera is kept steady.. it does not rotates... only the operator(copter) rotates/moves.
Jan 23, 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Do you know steadicam?

Why?

Because the camera is kept steady.. it does not rotates... only the operator(copter) rotates/moves.
Hehe, that's the difference between theory and practice. Well said.
Jan 23, 2013, 01:14 PM
Still flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
what everyone is forgetting when desiging a gimbal here is the fact that many people fly fpv through a separate camera... for many reasons there needs to be a spot to put a fpv camera on there.

Steve
Saabguyspg
Thats right, i'm filming with a Sony HDR-CX570/730, and use a separate camera for FPV. But will there be room for a videocamera on this gimbal? Not the GoPro model i beleive, but later models?

J
Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 PM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Quote:
Not true. If the gimbal is working perfectly, it will keep the camera level... no twisting.
We agree yet my statement isn't true. Me thinks you are just looking for a argument.
Jan 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes
Saabguyspg
Thats right, i'm filming with a Sony HDR-CX570/730, and use a separate camera for FPV. But will there be room for a videocamera on this gimbal? Not the GoPro model i beleive, but later models?

J
Wrong thread. Go here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=67
Jan 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Do you know steadicam?

Why?

very true, but with a normal gimbal there is one thing that's always a problem, the vertical VoF.
There really is no other way then hang your camera underneath.
So the next best thing would then be to center the Lens.

For the faster, smaller movements or corrections the steadicam is not as direct and dialed in.

Problem with CoG with a brushles gimbal would be the weight and size of the motor that is used for tilt, because everyone wants to use a different motor. So 100% CoG is only possible when you standardize a gimbal with one specific motor. So question; witch is the best motor, KV, etc. to use with a Brushless GoPro Gimbal?

It really isn't that hard to draw a gimbal where the Lens is 100% at the Center of the Axis, but when using different motors for the same gimbal wil require weights to ballance it out and you don't want to muts of that.
Jan 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
We agree yet my statement isn't true. Me thinks you are just looking for a argument.
Sorry, you're right.. I haven't noticed that you've mentioned an imperfect gimbal.

So yes, if gimbal is not keeping the camera level, you will see the twisting (ie.roll) ... but in this case, it does not matter if the lens will be in center axis - the twisting will be still there
Jan 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
It is worth to mention that there is of course 1 instance where it is really important that the lens is in center of a specific axis - and that is when you want to rotate the camera intentionally. (looking straight down and rotating)

But on this gimbal we don't have the 3rd axis anyway... so its out of scope.
Jan 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
It is worth to mention that there is of course 1 instance where it is really important that the lens is in center of a specific axis - and that is when you want to rotate the camera intentionally. (looking straight down and rotating)

But on this gimbal we don't have the 3rd axis anyway... so its out of scope.

Wel, i think your looking at it to easy by saying it does not matter that the lens isn't 100% at axis level.

Even when it's of by just 1/2 an inch you shoud notice it, because the lens is not recording the image at the Axis, but a couple of hundred yards away! So basicly, the bigger the zoom, the wider the VoF of the camera the bigger the impact by movement of what the camera films and that is not at the center of the shaft! So even if its out of center by 1/2'' a correction from the driver of only 1mm at the lens can result in yards of what the camera is actualy seeing/recording.
Last edited by jbkappirossi; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Jan 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Brushless
Are there any motor recommendations out there yet for these gimbals for the gopro?

Mike
Jan 23, 2013, 03:33 PM
DJI Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d
Are there any motor recommendations out there yet for these gimbals for the gopro?

Mike
Mike I don't think they've got that far yet because every brushless motor basically needs rewound so nothing is available off the shelf yet. I'm trying to get something setup if Dan from GoBrushless to see if he can offer us a large qty. that is rewound.

Quick Reply