Dec 19, 2003, 03:08 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??

FunPlanes.com EPP 540T Build

Mark Roberts will handle these at www.Funplanes.com

I thought I would shoot some photos of the Beta build and testing . I will Post here for all to see.
Its Funscale, but kinda neat.

Photo 1
Last edited by gw-ezone; Dec 19, 2003 at 03:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2003, 03:09 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Dec 19, 2003, 03:11 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Dec 19, 2003, 03:12 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Dec 19, 2003, 03:13 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Dec 19, 2003, 03:14 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Dec 19, 2003, 03:59 PM
The Cap 232 is coming next right?
Dec 19, 2003, 05:21 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Who knows whats next.

This Edge has been in the works for a few weeks now since Mark decided to go with foam kit sales.

Best thing is the weights of this 34"x34" plane. This new foam it just perfect. Adding things up, it looks like it will finish between 11 and 11 1/4 ozs . On 340 sq.in. wing . That will be sweet!!

GW
Last edited by gw-ezone; Dec 21, 2003 at 11:43 AM.
Dec 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
Leave me alone!
That looks super! I like the double layered with carbon technique on the control surfaces.

Martin
Dec 19, 2003, 05:52 PM
I'm sure Mark has a 232 on his mind . cf is a good idea, but to much will reduce the "bounceibility" of the epp.
Dec 19, 2003, 06:54 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
The carbon is laid out in patterns to allow the surface to flex in any direction with enough pressure, but still enhance the strength of the surface in deflection. The carbon being small sections laid in a pattern ,as it is , will get the most power to the surface in flight, and yet allow the needed flexability in case of a hard impact..
The major problem I encountered with the SX2 was the surface flex. Not a real bad problem, but for instance in a WALL manuver, The flex in the elevator would not snap the plane vertical instantly like a solid surface does. I have tested this layout of carbon on my SX2 surfaces since, and the added strength was easily noted in flight. I then did some severe crashing, some on purpose, some not so purposeful. The survivability of the plane was still true to form.

kf4mot:

I guess Mark will have to answer that one. I can only do the Edge at the moment. Maybe you will be the man for the Cap!!

I have been drawing and cutting, and redrawing and cutting more templates for a while now from cardbord, trying to get the look and assembly right. I am finally satisfied with the look, now to fine tune the wing and stab locations. I am building so I can get the ETEC 1200 battery over the CG, which will also allow me to use the Kokam 340 cells if I really want to get the weight down to around 9.5 ozs . That,,, if I ever get the chance to do some indoor flying. Can not use the gym here in town , no way. Might scuff the floors. Geezzzzzzzzz!

GW
Dec 19, 2003, 07:03 PM
Don't stop now GW. My SX-2 isn't finished yet so I don't know what the flex will be like. Maybe the edge will hold me till the cap gets finished! hint, hint
Dec 19, 2003, 07:25 PM
Permanently Banned
Looking good!

Larry
Dec 19, 2003, 07:25 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??
Its not bad, just noticable , but if you have had a plane that could make the glue joints pop when you haul back on the elevator, you will know what I am trying to do.

Most will not want or care. They mainly want a crash-proff plane to practice hovering, harriers, rolling circles,etc. The SX2 is stock form will be great for all that. Actually perfect for it.

But being me, I always want more, hence the 540.

I will know more about it soon, but so far I am very happy !

I have very little patience for waiting, so the wing is built with Weldwood cement, which is instant, but strong. I will build another later trying to get the weight down and strength even better.

GW
Dec 19, 2003, 08:53 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Man-

I have got to get over there when you start flying this thing!

Jeff