This thread is privately moderated by spitfire1999, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 06, 2013, 05:45 PM
Trader Rating: 181
Thread OP
Sold

Stearman PT-17 scratch-build from Barron's Scale Classics Plans 1/6th Scale

I purchased this plane at an estate sale and I do not have any plans, kit box etc. to properly identify it. However, with the pieces was a builders manual for the1/4 scale kit made years ago by "Barron's Scale Classics". On the front of the manual, the builder made a hand written note about converting this kit to 2" scale(1/6th scale). Looking at the method of construction in the manual, I believe this model was a scratch-build 1/6th scale of the Barron's Scale Classics" Sterman PT-17.

The construction is very nicely done, obviously by an experienced builder. The main gear have built in functioning struts and the tail wheel is sprung and steerable. Construction was definitley itended for large glow and even suitable for todays small gassers. Although 1/6th scale, I thnk one of the modern 17cc-20cc gassers would work fine as well as the airframe is stout enough. The plane is partially covered in fabric, possibly dacron. Construction sems very scale, with wood dowel being utilized to simulate tubing. Scale cockpit details. Top wing is three pieces and will need functioning flying wires. Botom wings are two pieces and plug into fuselage and will also require flying wires. Ailerons are set up for a single servo torque tube arrangement.

This model will require an experienced builder to complete. It's an older build, but in excellent condition. Besides the builders manual, I do not have anything else not shown in the photos.

Top Wing measures 64"

I am not looking to ship this one. I could delivery to the AMA Convention in Ontario this weekend, but model would have to be paid in advance. Model is located in San Jose, Ca Jim 714-872-1750

$150
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2013, 06:18 PM
Trader Rating: 44
This is really nice. Good luck with the sale!
Jan 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
Trader Rating: 45
Why is all the good stuff on the coast's ?
Us poor sap's in Ohio get the shaft.
I'd love to have this....boohoo
Jan 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
Trader Rating: 142
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketman
Why is all the good stuff on the coast's ?
Us poor sap's in Ohio get the shaft.
I'd love to have this....boohoo
And yet I normally think the good deals are on the east coast.....

I am really going to think about this one as I am in San Jose....I wonder how hard it would be to convert to electric, since that is what I fly....

Approximate weight?

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Jan 06, 2013, 10:08 PM
Trader Rating: 181
Thread OP
Total weight as it sits is just under 7 lbs.
Jan 06, 2013, 11:01 PM
Trader Rating: 142
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Hmmmmmm....

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply