Continueing work on Funny wing
End up making 2 really major changes to The funny Wing plane
I had a severe problem with getting the cg correct and the the arrow shaft tail boom was a disaster before it even left the building board.
So it got a new nose (much longer) spliced on and I replace the arrow shaft with a built up balsa tail section.
I now think I am getting close.
Life has been in the way of airplanes for the past year. Some intermittent build, no flying at all. Well two flights on my little .10 powered trainer.
Now in Modesto CA.
Thought to get this little .25 trainer flight ready. Also I intended to modify the wing and put plug in polyhedral tip panels on it. Well looking at the wing. It is toast. Burnt toast. Not real sure why. But we have moved numerous time this year from temporary place to another temporary place. In a word we have bean homeless. The planes have undergone the same thing and bean stored in far from ideal conditions. That may account for it????
So any way having to build a new wing. Going fast. Lost the original rib templates. Made new a better ones. Cut a birds mouth notch for the L.E. Then needed stick stock so a trip to the hobby shop about 30 minutes away. Picked up some thin ca. Glad I did too.
Did not find any 1/2"square balsa that was semi straight. So I have done something way different. I laminated up 2 1/2" square pieces. The laminated L.E. consist of one 1/4" square bass, one 1/4" square balsa, and one 1/4' x 1/2/" balsa epoxied together. The bass is piece that fits first in the birds mouth. leaving balsa to more easily shape to the correct shape.
One heck of a lot lot stronger than the LE of the original wing. It also started as 1/2 square stock (all balsa) but the most of it cut and sanded away to make the proper shape. So it really was flimsy. This new LE will be much stronger having a 1/4 square bass at it beginning in the wing.
The spars are over kill, but I was only able to find bass that was straight enough.
TE is 1/4 x 1/2 balsa that I will shape.
Have not started the polyhedral tips yet. they will add 10" each to the wing. Using a piece of 1/8 birch ply for the joiner. I put a lot of force across the width of one to no effect. Combined with anti rotation pins, I am confidant of it. The joiner boxes are made, just need to epoxy them to the spars at the tip ends.
Pic 1 is how the LE is constructed.
Next the joiners and joiner boxes.
And the wings. Still need to join and add shear webbing between the spars.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Build Log||Funny wing a 3 channel scratch build||greyflight390||The Builders Workshop||19||Jan 26, 2013 03:38 PM|
|Funny||Funny Photoshop Works||ealon128||Humor||4||Jun 17, 2012 10:37 PM|
|Yippee!||Racing Pigeons on the wing: The continuing story.||Swanlander||Aerial Photography||44||Dec 02, 2006 01:06 AM|