Jan 05, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Question

Big lazy Ace

Hello All,

I acquired a Big Lazy Ace that I am refurbishing, fixing, recovering etc. It does not have the stock wings, is set up for a 3 channel radio and has 5.5" of Dihedral. Since they are all busted up and need rebuilding, I am adding ailerons to the lower wing. The Ailerons will be 2.5" wide and 30" long as proposed, I intend to flatten the wings out from 5.5" to 3" of Dihedral both upper and lower wings.

The Airfoils are flat and 13" wide, straight rectangle and built very light weight of 20 oz x 2. I am reinforcing the wings to take additional loads from the added ailerons and just for piece of mind. The wing loading is a scant 12 oz / sf. after reinforcing it will go a little higher and if I want to add a larger motor in the future it will go up but I don't for see anything past 15 oz sf

My question is:

Could you take a look at my PDF attached and compare it to what you know or other Lazy Aces you might have or have owned in the past , also what you have seen and give me some feedback on what the numbers tell ya. If you see any major differences with what i have proposed here in the numbers.

Take a gander and let me know what you think. Feed back is as always greatly appreciated!

Jerdog
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2013, 03:38 PM
Not quite sure what you are asking, sounds like you have an idea of what you want to do. Is the PDF the Lazy Ace specs. or your own design plan?

I have one, IIRC the WS is about 77" and has ailerons so not the same size as yours. I didn't build mine but do have the build sheet. Flys very nice.
Last edited by 600Bob; Jan 05, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Upload Photos
Jan 06, 2013, 07:22 AM
I've built two of the big Lazy Ace, powered mine with a Quadra 35. The only mod I made was to set the firewall back a bit due to the heavier engine, a beefier landing gear and a larger rudder. The both flew very well.
Dec 29, 2014, 10:39 PM
Hi 600Bob I am currently building a lazy ace same size as your 77 inch wing what size engine are you using. Thanks Mitch
Jan 01, 2015, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
I've built two of the big Lazy Ace, powered mine with a Quadra 35. The only mod I made was to set the firewall back a bit due to the heavier engine, a beefier landing gear and a larger rudder. The both flew very well.
Where can I buy the plan for the big Lazy Ace. Still have the normal sized plan bougth directly from Chuck Cunningham and I did fly several with OS 120 SP engines. Still do have a Fiberglass Specialties Jenny-like cowl. Last year I mailed Kit Cutters for a plan and short kit but got no reply, maeby they do not ship to Europe ? Maeby I should ask someone over there to buy the kt for me ?
Jan 01, 2015, 09:47 AM
Outerzone has all three sizes.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...+ace&Submit=Go
I'd just cut it out myself.
Edwin
Jan 01, 2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
Outerzone has all three sizes.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...+ace&Submit=Go
I'd just cut it out myself.
Edwin