This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 08, 2014, 07:52 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
sage advice from aeajr, and very refreshing to see someone not pushing a higher-end radio.

the Dx4e is a good radio. you can fly EDFs, high-speed planes, and even do aerobatics effortlessly with it. if you wish, check out my flying on the youtube video posted here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=10839 that is on a Dx4e.

further, if you need, you can activate expo on the Dx4e: http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...-Manual_EN.pdf see Page 9

the more you spend, the better stick resolution you get. you also get a lot of features that you most likely will not use. at least not most of them. stick resolution and more bells and whistles do not teach you how to fly or have any causative effect on better flying. some may claim it but there is no evidence or study to back it up.

but the best reason is given by aeajr - no reason to rush - you have just started and need to feel your way around to see (1) you actually like the hobby (2) where you want to go with it.
Last edited by cmdl; Nov 08, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks so much guys you just helped me make my mind up on a few things and saved me some cash happy days. I was swayed away from the controller by constant mutterings about DX6/i that it fries ya brain in the end i guess its subliminal ya dont even know until it too late click! I havent pulled the trigger and wont until im 100% sure. The biggest problem i have now is i know i want a model with the safe feature but is the DR really THE ONE???? How do you know on your first PROPER r/c plane? I guess ya get the feeling and as of this moment its the DR but who knows whats coming just after xmas? Here in the UK its windy season so no major rush but if they bring out the full FPV package HH are doing with Fatshark with the Sport cub S then i would have to go for that who thinks they might do it?They done it with the Vapour didnt they? Anyway i feel like im always saying it but thanks again guys really appreciate ya bothering to write a reply and giving me your advice for free? Nothing is free these days!!
Nov 09, 2014, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamskido76
I havent pulled the trigger and wont until im 100% sure.
imo, that is the right way to approach it. others may disagree. i am not a perfectionist but i think researching thoroughly is a must. read the dedicated threads for your plane choices. the DR has one here on the Beginner forum. other trainers also have their own dedicated threads.

although i learned on parkflyer-sized craft, my personal opinion is that micros are better for trainers. they have lower kinetic energy and thus typically take impacts better than parkflyer-sized.

never flew the Champ but if i flew it, i daresay i may not have wanted to move on past it. from its performance on the field (i have seen others fly it on my field in 10 mph wind) to what i read here on RCG, i am thoroughly impressed. but the DR will handle wind a bit better. imo, that's the only thing parkflyer-sized craft have over micros. other than that i believe micros are better planes even as you advance, just for the sheer convenience factor alone.

ps - there is this if you're interested, it has SAFE: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2203035
Nov 09, 2014, 07:40 PM
Haha its the right way but who knows click haha thanks cmdl i have read the DR thread all of it! ya just get sucked in dont you? im new to not only r/c planes ive flown quads and helis a bit but not PROPERLY and im new to this forum thing so excuse my lack of knowing how things work. Im sure i asked a question somewhere else about PNF somewhere but dont know how to find it again!! haha cant remember which thread lol i also went through the sport cub threads! whats with that ones bad enough all this reading my brains never had to take in so much in so little time! I said it had bitten hard haha most of it im reading is going straight over my head as i dont have the gear in front of me for reference but i still read it. Thanks again pal
Nov 09, 2014, 07:44 PM
no worries with asking the same question twice - everyone does it. yeah, it is taxing reading all those threads. a trick i have is to read them backwards. that way someone is likely to summarize key issues with the aircraft, sparing you from having to read the whole thread. i also do it in blocks. like no more than about 100 pages a day. any more and i can't function.
Nov 09, 2014, 07:52 PM
That link you put up there is the other plane on my mind i just wish it came with the DX4 instead of the smaller one, but saying that i like the way you can use the box as storage it really helps when you know its all in one place SAFE no pun intended honest
Nov 09, 2014, 07:58 PM
Thats a good idea but i also like the start when people find the problems! ha just leave out the middle then! I found that out over this weekend i went through so much i didnt know what i was reading about in the end bye bye weekend haha
Nov 10, 2014, 07:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Let's be clear about something, the DX6 and the DX6i are two different radios. The 6i is the older model and the 6 is the newer model. I would recommend the DX6 if you were buying one today.

Note also that there is a VERY old Spektrum radio also called the DX6 that has not been made in years. They reused the name on their latest 6 channel radio. So be VERY careful if you see a DX6 for sales used. You don't want the original. I would only by a DX6 new.

Second, this is a thread about your first radio, not your first plane so I would ask that we take the airplane discussion to another thread so we don't take this thread too far off track. It is a good discussion but this is a resource thread about radios.
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 10, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
Nov 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
good for me,Good job. I am a beginner. that is useful for me, thank you
Nov 10, 2014, 10:45 AM
Just a reminder to those who are just joining the discussion that this thread is based on the article in the first post plus the excellent input from all those who have joined.
Nov 10, 2014, 05:06 PM
True that sorry aeajr my bad going back to radios i thought their was an older one i thought it was a copy at first thats strange they used the same name surely they could of added a different letter again! Top advice their aeajr if i went and brought one now they are doing a deal here new with 2 receivers 150 about $220 not too shabby is it?
Nov 15, 2014, 06:33 PM
This article is a good read! I haven't flown for almost 30 years. So I am feeling like a newbie all over again.

My last radio was a Futaba (model forgotten) 6-channel, and it handled like a dream. With what all I just read things have changed some! But, what had caught my eye was the read about the RTFs. Even though I have flown before, it's been way too long ago, so this will be the way I go until I am ready to upgrade. I have just recently bought a H&M Performance F4U Corsair with a WS of 59.5". But, I won't be flying this plane until I know for sure that I am ready.
Nov 15, 2014, 09:43 PM
Probably a Futaba Conquest 6 channel radio.
Nov 17, 2014, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Probably a Futaba Conquest 6 channel radio.
That sounds about right. I do remember having to pull and swap crystals out on it.
Nov 17, 2014, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
This article is a good read! I haven't flown for almost 30 years. So I am feeling like a newbie all over again.

My last radio was a Futaba (model forgotten) 6-channel, and it handled like a dream. With what all I just read things have changed some! But, what had caught my eye was the read about the RTFs. Even though I have flown before, it's been way too long ago, so this will be the way I go until I am ready to upgrade. I have just recently bought a H&M Performance F4U Corsair with a WS of 59.5". But, I won't be flying this plane until I know for sure that I am ready.
look at the Horizon Hobby RTF range with SAFE you cant go wrong also top CS