This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2014, 07:40 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Good luck with whatever radio you get.

You might find this helpful.

BASIC SERVO SET-UP PROCESS
by Ed Anderson

If you are using a computer radio, establish a new model in a new memory slot
-Bind the receiver to the radio or memory slot

Before you put the servos in the plane connect them to the receiver on the
channel they will be on when mounted. This will center them and you can confirm
they work properly. Better to find out BEFORE you mount them. If you are going
to have a matched pair, such as two flaps servos, see if they move together exactly
the same. There can be slight variations between servos.

-Mount the receiver and servos with the control arms off or in a way that you can
remove them if possible. This allows you to re-position the servo arms as part of the
trimming set-up but make sure you can get the screws on the servo arms after you
are done.

-Connect the servos to the receiver
-Confirm you have each servo on the correct channel
-Confirm it is moving in the correct direction – use servo reverse if it is not.
-Connect the servo to the control arm

With the radio on, confirm that all the trims are centered, all sub trims are
at default position.

Check to see that the control surface is centered and the servo arm will move freely
.....check for binding
.....check for flex of the control rod
.....check for restrictions that might block the servo from moving smoothly

If the surface/servo are not properly centered don't go to the radio first, center
the servo mechanically as much as possible.

..... Lift the control arm off and reset it so that the surface is centered
......Adjust the clevis to center the surface.

Set your control throw using mechanical linkages as much as possible
...... use the control horn hole that is closest to the surface for the largest throw – furthest to reduce throw
.......use the servo arm hole that is furthest from the servo for the largest throw – closest to the servo for reduced throw
.......Only after doing this should you use the radio's subtrim, ATV/EPA features to do any centering or control throw adjustments.

When you have one servo right, then do the next till you have them all working correctly.

If you have flaps, make sure they move together, smoothly.

If you have flapperons, make sure they move as flaps together, smoothly.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2014, 12:43 AM
Hi guys,I am a beginner and I am in a cca club in my school and 90 percent of the club members uses Hitec radios and they encouraged me to buy a Hitec Optic 6 sport transmitter. I am looking to fly gliders like for example bixler and also planes that are DIY like the firefly so I was wondering if the Hitec Optic 6 Sport is good enough for my use? The other reason that stops me from getting this radio is that fact that I have a friend who ask me not to get Hitec radios as there are frequent cases of lock out with the planes,thus, I need help with this.
Jun 21, 2014, 05:00 AM
Hitec's radios are very good. No reason to hesitate. If you are in a club and the club flies 90% Hitec and they encourage you to get the Optic 6 then that is what I suggest you get. There will be plenty of help.

I could suggest a lot of radios in that price range but there is no reason to shy away from Hitec.
Jun 22, 2014, 03:18 AM
Hi,
Yup,actually I am fine with any radios but as I heard from my friend that Hitec radios will cause lock out easily,is that true? As what i worry about is the locking out of the system.
Jun 22, 2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanly Low
Hi,
Yup,actually I am fine with any radios but as I heard from my friend that Hitec radios will cause lock out easily,is that true? As what i worry about is the locking out of the system.
No it is not true.
Jul 01, 2014, 02:04 PM
I think this should be a Sticky thread. If you agree, then report the first post to the mods and tell them you want it to be a sticky.
Jul 04, 2014, 03:55 AM
Thank you! I learned a lot, I'm a new guy too, always crash RC helis and quadcopters but now I get better as I crashed so many, lol
Jul 12, 2014, 11:25 AM
First I'm going to start taking Flying lessons next week.

FlySky or ZD Sky transmitter.

Those to TX looks the same and setup the same. My question is, is that TX a good starter TX for a first radio? I don't have the money to buy a better TX right now beside that TX was gave to me to get started in the hobby.

Now I'm looking to buy a plane but not sure what type and size to get. Can you give me a idea on a type and size to get?

Can anyone help me?
Jul 13, 2014, 09:49 PM
Unless you own a $1000.00 TX but everyone don't. This was a waste of my time asking a question here.
Jul 14, 2014, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar
First I'm going to start taking Flying lessons next week.

FlySky or ZD Sky transmitter.

Those to TX looks the same and setup the same. My question is, is that TX a good starter TX for a first radio? I don't have the money to buy a better TX right now beside that TX was gave to me to get started in the hobby.

Now I'm looking to buy a plane but not sure what type and size to get. Can you give me a idea on a type and size to get?

Can anyone help me?
FlySky is a brand, not a model of a transmitter so I have no idea what radio you are looking at. They make many different radios. http://www.flysky-cn.com/eProducts.asp?BigClassID=29

Never heard of ZD Sky so I can't make any recommendations.

It seems you have not read the article in the first post. That would be your best starting point.

If you don't already have a radio, my recommendation to most new pilots is to start with an RTF package that includes a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar
Unless you own a $1000.00 TX but everyone don't. This was a waste of my time asking a question here.
This discussion is not about buying planes, but as I state in the article, I recommend an RTF package to start.

The ParkZone Super Cub is one of my favorites.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-HBZ8100

If you like gliders, the Parkzone Radian would be my recommendation.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/radian-rtf-PKZ4700

The Hitec SkyScout would also get my recommendation
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...o-rtf-HRC13207

Note that the radios in the RTF packages are practically free.

You may find this article helpful too.

SIX KEYS TO SUCCESS FOR NEW PILOTS
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:49 AM
Just a reminder to those joining the thread, This discussion is based on the article in the first post. Best to take a look at that first, before posting questions as my answers will be based on the content of that article. Others will have things to suggest as well.

Thanks
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Jul 14, 2014, 09:56 PM
The plane I will be using to learn how to fly is the "Apprentice S 15e RTF with SAFE™ Technology".

I will start reading before asking anything from now on.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:25 PM
Apprentice should be a good trainer, especially if you have help.

Here is a huge thread on the Apprentice. You may find some useful info there.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1897358
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Jul 14, 2014, 11:52 PM
I will have a trainer to teach me. Thanks for all your help.
Jul 15, 2014, 08:16 AM
FWIW I just made some edits and updates to the first article. Nothing major, just want to keep it up to date.