This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 17, 2019, 09:02 AM
I would never encourage someone new to the hobby to buy a Futaba 32MZ, or anything even remotely close to it. I would encourage them to buy a good quality 9 channel or more radio. I HATE having to buy a replacement for something because I 'outgrew" it, I believe in having enough extra (channels/torque etc) that I can use it for a long time.

As I have stated, I bought a DX18 v1 when the v2 came out becuase it was a great price. I didn't want to spend that much on something that didn't fly, but am very glad I did. I had a transmitter than came with a RTF from horizon, the DX18 was like moving into the 21st century.

Do I see a need to move up to the color screen etc, no, the DX18 does everything I need it to do 4 years later, I am not a 'spectrum person" in fact I am moving to Futaba, but I am very glad I went with the radio I did,, and I know there are other radios by other brands that are also a good place to start. I just encourage you to look at a good quality radio with lots of room to grow

At the field I normally fly virtually everyone uses spectrum, so guess what one time my battery died, a friend pulled his battery out of his radio and I used it when he wasn't flying, one advantage for using whatever radio people around you are using (and more importantly at first the help in programming)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 10:15 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
The question of batterys in radios ...

The move away from proprietary batterys - you can pretty well put down to the Open Source / Budget boys.

Just to rub it in .... The old 9x radio which incidentally is based on an old JR radio - so actually has 'pedigree' - can take any 9 - 12V source as its power ... NiMh AA's through to a 3S LiPo ... in fact later FW for it and the 9xr gives option to optimise the battery setting of choice.
My 9x's and 9xr's have a variety of batterys in ... from 8x NiMh through LiFe to 3S Lipo ...
Nov 17, 2019, 01:42 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Young beginners are poor and still have all levels of equipment to buy including planes, chargers, batteries, and have been used to the bind and fly level of RC. They are not the old guys buying their 5th radio and flying expensive planes. Many have discussed with me the lest expensive way to get into the hobby.

This is why I suggest a dependable $45 - 6 channel radio including shipping and receiver , instant binding, $10 receivers with telemetry, weighs 18 oz.

After seeing the success I have had with the Flysky i6 several of the older club members have also gotten one. I have not heard any of them say they don't work.
Nov 26, 2019, 07:51 PM
I just noticed a Spektrum dx6 (new) for sale on the FB marketplace for $100. It’s listed in town here. This would be my first radio. Is this a good price or should I continue to keep my finger off the purchase trigger?
Jan 29, 2020, 08:31 AM
So, I've got into the hobby a couple of months ago, and started with some free flight models, but I want to move into electric now.

First thing I'm trying to figure out is what TX to get - and it doesn't seem to be an easy question. I could not find a clear guidance here, with the latest developments in the industry, so I thought a post could help.

I don't want to spend too much, but I would like to get something that allows me to grow as I progress. From the research I've made, the best options seem to be:
- Jumper T16 Pro Hall (steep learning curve, and not so much material online - but really good price and versatility)
- Spektrum Dx8e (less functionality, beginner friendly, but more expensive)
- Taranis 9xD (even if the whole "Access" changes seem to make it more limited)

I don't intend to go into changing firmwares, would rather use the transmitter as it comes out of the box - but I'm fine with putting some time to learn how to setup the models correctly.

So, for a beginner, what would be the recommendation? Is the Jumper T16 Pro a good "first TX", or is it too overwhelming for starting?

Thanks!
Jan 29, 2020, 09:49 AM
As many know here - I am a great believer in the 'open source' radios systems such as FrSky ..

The versatility of the systems and ability to command so many channels is a good sales point.

The only advantage I can see example Spektrum depends on who you fly with etc. - if majority flyers around you have Spektrum - then you have a Help Base ..
But where I fly - I can count the number of Spektrum radios in single digits - while open source such as FrSky and now Jumper are now outnumbering all else put together.

If you do not need the sophistication or ability of the Jumper as example - it serves as a simple 4ch as well. BUT you have extensive ability to cover just about any model you would aspire to for reasonable future.

I use 9x and 9xr radios .. old school now ... but still have far more variation than any DX6 or DX8 ... I am looking at the Jumper 16 pro ... as it covers all the common format systems without having to play around with modules etc.

There used to an argument used about service and back up ... which Spektrum users always harped on about. I am not so convinced today that this is such a decider anymore ... the reliability of radios today being solid state digital makes it a lesser factor each day tech improves.

If I was to buy a radio today ? I would buy the Jumper 16 pro. In my view - its a no-brainer - especially now Jumper have opened up the FW part to allow flashing with erSKY9x ....
Jan 29, 2020, 03:29 PM
Fly crash order parts repeate

Just my 2cents worth

Morning guys
I've been in the hobby about 6 years or more now and I've had all sorts of advice on tx's from people that have been around a while
Most have said keep it simple and talk about spectrum and even orange ( turnigy ) tx's
About 2 years in I went with a trains XD9, I have found that you will never grow out of it BUT IT IS A STEEP LEARNING CURVE but not impossible and there is a lot of help out there YT and the forums here

I can't comment on the T16 jumper as don't know much about them but they are and able to use open source and bind to just about everything
Depending on what you want it may be a while before you fly anything with more that 6 channels so spectrum will be very easy

It's a hard choice and there is no perfect answer, it's like cars every one has there preference ???

God luck watho
Jan 29, 2020, 03:45 PM
Every radio today is a learning curve. I believe from what I read (and hear from the one or two owners I know) ... that Spektrum is relatively easy ...

But that to me comes at a price and usually means limiting the variations you can apply when programming is more free.

Watho mentions the Taranis XD9 .... which uses OpenTX ... which is actually same as the Jumper uses (now that Jumper has decided to stop rewriting it !!) ....

The general consensus is to get as best a radio as you can afford .... and to me that means the most channels and capability in a reliable unit. So far Taranis .. Jumper ... and their predecessors have and do deliver just that.... with tiny long range Rx's ... that don't cost you an arm and a leg ...
You have money left over to spend on other things ...

Quick Reply