How to Select Your First Radio - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 01, 2013, 04:24 PM
@aeajr, when you say that "Tactic and AnyLink are based on the SLT standard with is an open standard" what exactly do you mean under "open"? Is there a document I can read and implement it myself? Or do these couple of companies agreed on using the same protocol and reaping the fruits of such cooperation and try to attract customers by "open" solutions?

I have read such claims of SLT "openness" but failed to find documents corroborating this. As I am relatively new to the hobby, it's no wonder.

Could you enlighten me, please?
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2013, 10:29 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
I am speaking based on what I have read in the forums as well, so I have no documentation. However this is an article about the new Hitec Aurora 9X where they reference that Hitec will be adding SLT, an open source protocol, to the 9X in addition to their own AFHSS.
http://z8rc.com/2013/02/hitec-aurora...t-the-shelves/

As I understand it, any of the protocols can be reverse engineered. I have read that you can't copywrite a protocol as it is considered a language. However each of the major suppliers have created their own in order to gain, or at least claim a superior system or to create unique features. But the compatible system makers are starting to reverse engineer the protocols.

You can now buy DSM2 and DSMX compatible receivers from other than Spektrum or JR.
You can buy a DSM2/DSMX transmitter model from Orange

You can buy Futaba FASST compatible receivers from Orange, FrSky and others.

You can buy Hitec AFHSS compatible receivers from FrSky and perhaps others.

It is just a matter of time before someone feels other protocols are worth reverse engineering.
May 01, 2013, 11:57 PM
Actually, that's me who feels the protocols need to be either implemented in open source from specs, or reversed if specs are unavailable. So I was enthusiastic when I heard they finally came to their senses and do not try to hide what is to be discovered anyway. Apparently, it's not so. This allows them to sell hardware with large margins (you can have the idea how large comparing Orange TX and its Spektrum original, DX6i). Keep in mind, Orange have margins too. But as hobbyists we can't care less about their margins, right?
Jul 03, 2013, 10:38 PM
Anyone want to comment on compatible receivers?
Aug 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Thank you taking the time to put down all of the information in such a beginner friendly format. This information (as well as other information) you've posted is very valuable to people such as my trying to get into this hobby. I'm fortunate to have a good friend who has many years of RC experience to help me but information like this make it a touch easier for him.
Aug 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your kind words. Glad you find the article helpful.

You may also find this e-book helpful:

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31071
Aug 14, 2013, 03:53 AM
Wow, this really helps. Thanx.

As many first time flyers I went with te RTF Champ. Now it's time to look for another aircraft and a radio to go with it! What really shook me was the costs of a radio. So in order to not overspent on this new hobby, I've been looking at second-hand dx6i's or even the HK Orange T-Six as a first radio. Any thougts on those?

Thank alot for the post!
Aug 14, 2013, 05:37 AM
Closed Account
my dx6i is used and works great. It did come from a hobby shop and checked out by someone I trust. The owner there don,t sell junk of any kind. I have got some things at other's just want to sell you thing's.
Aug 14, 2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortlife085
Wow, this really helps. Thanx.

As many first time flyers I went with te RTF Champ. Now it's time to look for another aircraft and a radio to go with it! What really shook me was the costs of a radio. So in order to not overspent on this new hobby, I've been looking at second-hand dx6i's or even the HK Orange T-Six as a first radio. Any thougts on those?

Thank alot for the post!
Just as outlined in the article in the first post, the suitability of a radio is based on your goals and objectives. What you plan to fly and how many you are likely to own will tell you about what you need in a radio.

You say radios are expensive? That means nothing. What do you consider expensive? I consider $250 cheap for a radio. How about you? And the receivers I buy are $50 to $100 each.

I don't know what a HK Orange T-Six radio is. When talking about specific products it is helpful to post a link so I can look at it. I am guessing you mean this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_1_.html

Certainly it is cheap. Assuming it is reliable, it will fly a 6 channel plane, I presume. Not something I would recommend, unless you plan to buy one for every plane you own. Then it might be OK as long as you don't need any mixes and plan to bring a laptop to the field with you so you can make the necessary adjustments from plane to plane. I read this review on the HK site:

Thanks Rexy 03 Got the binding and servo reverse sorted downloaded the manual for the radio in the we hours . Its a bit sad I bought the radio and plane for my grandson being old school used to 36meg not knowing about the servo rev being a laptop job ( What happened to the buttons ) Now have to buy a cable . None in AUS have to wait for one from the US. Not good HK this should be in the need to finish box. Any one on the sunshine coast in QLD that can help to rev my ailerons' and rudder. ,

If you are a hobbyking fan I would consider this radio a much better buy - Turnigy 9X
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
These are the add-on receivers. There may be others that work with it too. not sure.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

You can read more about it here:

9X - FlySky/iMax/Turnigy/Eurgle FOR DUMMIES
Quick summary that will explain a lot
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1616229

I don't own one but have heard pretty good things about it from pilots who are into small to moderate sized electrics. As you will read in the discussion, people love to modify this radio but you don't have to in order to use it.

Will it meet your needs and expectations? I don't know as you have not stated any, other than cheap. HK Service and support are not up to the standards set by the brand names like Spekturm, Airtronics, JR, Futaba and Hitec, but they are cheap.

If you consider used, compare the cost of a used radio to a new one. As I state in the article, be sure you evaluate based on EVERYTHING in the package. A used radio for $100 that comes with nothing and no warranty is more expensive as compared to the same that costs $160 new and comes with a $70 receiver and full warranty on both.

Not much more I can do to help you without more information about you, your goals and objectives. When you have no requirements, goals or objectives, every radio is valid.

What kind of plane are you looking for next?
What is your budget?
Are you in a club?
Do you have an instructor?
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 14, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Aug 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
Thank you for you're reply Aeajr,

I will certanly look into the Turnigy 9x. It's not the fact that I can't spent 500 dollars on a radio...It's the fact that I dont want to. As I said, I'm new to the hobby and my only expectations are that I can buy a normal radio, that is easy to use, in order to find out if I can fly a more complicated plane than my current champ.

So maybe I got the order wrong, but I started looking at planes before I started looking at radio's...that is untill I read youre post

The plane I'm looking at now is the Retro Pioneer: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html

This was the radio I was looking at to go with it: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_1_.html

Receivers ar about 5 to 25 dollars. That would be my price range since I just got started with this hoby.

At the moment I havent yet subscribed to a club or contacted an instructor. This would be the next step after spending some more time flying my Champ and getting the new plane and radio...

Anyway thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions!
Aug 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
Note that that radio is Mode 1. If you are in North America, the standard is Mode 2. But you can fly Mode 1 if you like. Nothing wrong with that.

That is covered in the e-book link I posted. Just so you know.
May 04, 2014, 07:30 AM
Look out below
Still a great read Ed, but was thinking you might edit in some of the new Tx's like the talking radio's.
Taranis
Spektrum 6, 9 and 18

Thanks
little Johnny
May 04, 2014, 08:27 AM
Mdnowhere,

Thanks for your comment but I don't really understand your suggestion.

Audible confirmation of switch positions, playing music and the like are just another set of features. They are not necessary to fly a model airplane. They are nice features, if you like that sort of thing but how important they are is a matter of individual choice.

Likewise Telemetry is a nice to have but should it be a critical decision factor to a new pilot? Well that is for him or her to decide, not me. They certainly don't make my list of must haves.

Eventually such things will be in corporated into the majority of radios and will just go on the list of things that most radios have, like dual rates and expo today.
May 04, 2014, 10:45 AM
Look out below
Very true Ed, I thought it was worth mentioning because it is not the norm yet. Keeping yours eyes on the plane instead of looking at the Tx really helps.
May 04, 2014, 07:29 PM
Now THIS is a great thread for us beginners I've been going back and forth between a Tactic 650 or a Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro and this thread has helped me decide. Members of the club I've joined have both and they allowed me to handle them to see which "fit" my hands better. I currently only have an Apprentice e15 with the SAFE system and its partnered DX5 Tx. As of now I can't see myself needing more than six channels but if the need should arise I'd have seven with the Hitec. The Aurora 9X with the added SLT ability does look tempting and I may even get to that point eventually needing more channels, but for the foreseeable future The Eclipse should fit my needs nicely. Of course with my luck three months after getting one Tactic will come out with an eight channel