This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 17, 2016, 06:33 PM
Rusty
Just a heads up for the new people reading this thread.

The FlySky 9x is an old cheap 9ch FM radio based on a JR case that after an upgrade to 2.4gHz 8ch (still has the un-needed 12v supply and telescopic aerial stub) was widely modded to much more powerful open firmwares to replace the faulty and uninspiring FlySky effort. Subsequently after market add on and replacement mother boards have become available that allow telemetry, speech, SD cards etc.
Recent models of the 9x have included a larger 128k chip that allows more model memories and complex firmware.
More recently a clone CPU has been used making flashing the new open firmware impossible! This, the age of the design and the relatively high retail price make this radio no longer a great choice.

The 9xr is a HobbyKing remanufactured, discontinued version of the FlySky 9x board with a interface built in to allow reflashing a larger 128k version chip to run the open architecture firmware (ER9x. Open Tx, Gruvin). It has a different hardware and case design.

The HobbyKing 9xrPro is the latest iteration but has none of the hardware of the original 9x, using a new powerful, full featured board from SkyNorth in the 9xr case with 9xr hardware.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2016, 10:27 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
Just a heads up for the new people reading this thread.

The FlySky 9x is an old cheap 9ch FM radio based on a JR case that after an upgrade to 2.4gHz 8ch (still has the un-needed 12v supply and telescopic aerial stub) was widely modded to much more powerful open firmwares to replace the faulty and uninspiring FlySky effort. Subsequently after market add on and replacement mother boards have become available that allow telemetry, speech, SD cards etc.
Recent models of the 9x have included a larger 128k chip that allows more model memories and complex firmware.
More recently a clone CPU has been used making flashing the new open firmware impossible! This, the age of the design and the relatively high retail price make this radio no longer a great choice.

The 9xr is a HobbyKing remanufactured, discontinued version of the FlySky 9x board with a interface built in to allow reflashing a larger 128k version chip to run the open architecture firmware (ER9x. Open Tx, Gruvin). It has a different hardware and case design.

The HobbyKing 9xrPro is the latest iteration but has none of the hardware of the original 9x, using a new powerful, full featured board from SkyNorth in the 9xr case with 9xr hardware.
Oh Dear .... Sadly not all that is true.

The 9x is purely a 100% FlySky product that gets relabeled for Hobby King, Eurgle, Imax, Xcopter and various others.
It has an M64 processor and is not flashable unless a small modification is made by addition of a board or replaced board.
FlySky FW is not easy to use but works.
Most people reflash to er9x FW and also upgrade boards to allow greater capability.
I have had Smartieparts and the AR9x boards ... the Ar9x gives the increased capability and processor memory as well as SD card .. boot loader etc. etc.

It has been quite a long time since FlySky actually changed the radio to remove the Telescopic antenna. It is old stock that still has it. I actually like having it on my FlySky model - I fly a wind pendant from mine ! The Turnigy that started the change to removal of the FM antenna has the position plugged and some brands have fitted 2.4 antenna there. Which in fact is not such a great idea as most modules have own antenna.
The reason the antenna was left was that some people still use older FM gear ... and the 9x being modular based can use the FM module. It had a definite reason - not as implied as a hangover of old days.
The basic 9x is still an M64 FlySky product.

The 9xr has no connection with FlySky at all as it's a Hextronic product who actually are behind Hobby King. There is no compatibility between 9x and 9xr ...
9xr is a logical step on from the 9x in that it has Pc connectivity to archive settings, program new models, flash FW etc.

The 9xr Pro moves on from Hextronic to contract production Skynorth based and has the much greater developed capabilities. The 9xr Pro like its predecessor has no connection or compatibility with preceeding models.

The 9x, 9xr and 9xr Pro are individual radios with their own gear. You cannot mix and match !!

Finally - the 9x still has a thriving and still ongoing developing market which is large. It has a dedicated following because of its ability to be modified, altered or just used out of box. With FrSky and er9x ... is is a hard radio to beat for the price and thousands of users and buyers attest to that.

There has always been comments against the 9x and its successors. But speak to actual users and owners ...

I know people flying big gas models and doing exceptional 3D / aerobatics etc. on 9x as well as the other two radios. In fact I only know of one person left in all the people I fly with who has a Spektrum - even he's considering change !!

I will admit that if I was going to buy another radio - it would be Taranis or Horus.

As I said earlier - its a terribly biased arena ... and I admit I am biased towards these radios .... I cannot see any reason to spend a lot more for less function.

Nigel
Nov 18, 2016, 04:49 PM
Flyin' Finn in eternal spin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
In fact I prefer the 9x to the 9xr !!

People will be biased as I am on such subject. That is human. Some like Ford ... some like Volvo ... its same with cars / radios / cameras / PC's etc. Even though most items today have very little difference inside them !!

Nigel
Me too, I have two 9X:s and concidering to sell th 9XR. Somehow it does not sit comfortably in my hands. Especially now, when 10ch FS-i6X came available.

Just like with cars, BMW makes excellent ones, but they just don't fit under my buttocks. Most modern cars have too much electronic tingle tangle, which most of people never even learn to use. My 2004 Jeeb Liberty (Cherokee in Europe) does what I'm telling it to do, not like these ultrahypermodern electro-digital gadgets, which tell you when to stop and go to loo...

Quote:
The 9xr has no connection with FlySky at all as it's a Hextronic product who actually are behind Hobby King. There is no compatibility between 9x and 9xr ...

Nigel
That was new to me, I always thought is just developed version of 9X.

Some people just always want the newest, biggest, strongest etc., do they need it or not. And those with attitude "I don't play with you, 'cause you don't have Spectrum/Futaba/ some other min. $250 Tx" can kiss my rudder...
Nov 18, 2016, 05:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTeddy
Me too, I have two 9X:s and concidering to sell th 9XR. Somehow it does not sit comfortably in my hands. Especially now, when 10ch FS-i6X came available.

Just like with cars, BMW makes excellent ones, but they just don't fit under my buttocks. Most modern cars have too much electronic tingle tangle, which most of people never even learn to use. My 2004 Jeeb Liberty (Cherokee in Europe) does what I'm telling it to do, not like these ultrahypermodern electro-digital gadgets, which tell you when to stop and go to loo...
I actually have a great dislike of BMW .... beautiful cars and comfortable - but in Baltic Winters - they are deadly. I often help to pull Beamers out of ditches after they slide of the road. I drive a Volvo XC70 ... which stays on the road !!

Quote:
That was new to me, I always thought is just developed version of 9X.
Take the back of both radios and compare ... and you'll also see the Made by Hextronic name printed on the 9xr board.

Quote:
Some people just always want the newest, biggest, strongest etc., do they need it or not. And those with attitude "I don't play with you, 'cause you don't have Spectrum/Futaba/ some other min. $250 Tx" can kiss my rudder...
Each to their own ...

Nigel
Nov 19, 2016, 04:53 AM
Quote:
I actually have a great dislike of BMW .... beautiful cars and comfortable - but in Baltic Winters - they are deadly. I often help to pull Beamers out of ditches after they slide of the road. I drive a Volvo XC70 ... which stays on the road !!
Nigel
Quess how many I have towed in my native Finland, when I had 4 x 4 Dodge Stepside or Subaru Ipmreza...
XC70 was one of the alternatives for me as well, but I took Jeep, as it's higher, has low gear and diff locks.

Somehow 9X, even it is bit special to program, feels good in my hands, as does my sons FS-i6. That's why I ordered 10 ch i-6X.

'Cause I have two 9X:s, I'm planning to modify second one with Smartieparts, but so far the stock one has been enough for my (mostly warbird) scale contraptions and helicopters (which I crash regularly...)

9XR is good radio, I don't deny that, but for me, it is BMW.
Nov 19, 2016, 05:35 AM
Your first and last radio will be a Taranis. You tweek the hell out of it and don't waste time buying other radios. 16 channels and a modular bay. It does everything with a buzz. Fix the buzz and your all set. I have owned them all. When frsky came out with the xsr receiver. It is the size of a postage stamp 16 channels and does telemetry. For 25$. I was like, toss the other stuff out the Window. Will take a minute to learn programming. Hey it is the only one you need to learn.
Nov 19, 2016, 06:19 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTeddy
Quess how many I have towed in my native Finland, when I had 4 x 4 Dodge Stepside or Subaru Ipmreza...
XC70 was one of the alternatives for me as well, but I took Jeep, as it's higher, has low gear and diff locks.

Somehow 9X, even it is bit special to program, feels good in my hands, as does my sons FS-i6. That's why I ordered 10 ch i-6X.

'Cause I have two 9X:s, I'm planning to modify second one with Smartieparts, but so far the stock one has been enough for my (mostly warbird) scale contraptions and helicopters (which I crash regularly...)

9XR is good radio, I don't deny that, but for me, it is BMW.
Unless you fit the Smartieparts Xtreme board ... its better to go for the ar9x replacement board ...

http://ar9x.net/

I had the Smartieparts basic - worked really nice but I then decided to swap one out and fit the ar9x board. So now I have one with Smartieparts and other with ar9x ...... the ar9x is far better and has no soldering / fiddly pins to locate .... its a total solution ...

I am now seriously thinking to change my other 9x as well ...

Did you know that the XC70 is actually higher off the road than a BMW X5 ....... even though the X5 is only really based on Land Rover with a different body on !!

If Volvo would change the AWD system to selectable 2W / 4W drive like the old Land Rovers - it would be a world beater !

Nigel
Mar 10, 2017, 02:28 PM
For some reason in our RC Field we have had a lot of fly a ways and lost of control with the Spektrum Radios.
Some people has gone to Futaba, a Good radio but the Radio and receivers can get expensive if you have several planes.
Several people has gone with the Flysky FS I-10 Radios.

Does anybody on here know much about the Flysky FS I-10 and how dependable they are.

Thanks.
Mar 10, 2017, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard
For some reason in our RC Field we have had a lot of fly a ways and lost of control with the Spektrum Radios.
Some people has gone to Futaba, a Good radio but the Radio and receivers can get expensive if you have several planes.

Does anybody on here know much about the Flysky FS I-10 and how dependable they are.

Thanks.
There's a thread for Turnigy TGY-i10 and Flysky FS-i10, which are practically same thing with different name.
Mar 10, 2017, 03:02 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard

Thanks.
I run the FlySky forum ....

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

and they get reasonable reports.

But funnily enough I prefer the old FlySky 9x and Turnigy's 9xr series ... because then you can fit the FrSky modules which are still reckoned to be some of the best out there. Price and size of Rx's etc. is extremely attractive.

I use a lot of the 4ch mini Rx's ... 1km range where other brands only give 300m for same size etc.

If I was buying again ... I would look at the Taranis models ...

Nigel
Mar 10, 2017, 03:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
I am a long standing Futaba user and have nothing but praise for their 2.4 FASST system. I often fly in local and regional contests and a LOT of the contest pilots have gone to the Taranis. You don't fly $2000 to $5,000 competition sailplanes up to a kilometer away with a radio that is not reliable.
Mar 11, 2017, 01:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Let's be honest ..... Taranis owes its existence to the work done over years based on FrSky with FlySky 9x.
Despite claims of 9x being a cheap Chinese radio - it is still available after all these years - must be one of the longest running models now .... people still putting FrSky modules in ....

Taranis from FrSky took the concept and produced a radio that basically has very little competition in function and price.

Futaba of course is good radio - but they did no favours to owners when they started changing their format with no compatibility.
Pricing puts them out of many peoples pockets.
JR and Spektrum and their 'lovers tiff' .... splitting apart and I now hear that JR may be leaving the RC market ....
Me ? I was a diehard JR man for many years. But later just could not justify such pricing.

Nigel
Mar 16, 2017, 07:02 AM
Taranis people are switching to FlySky for Quad racing, with the new HobbyKing Turnigy Evolution (Playstation style, not suited for planes as trim is a bit more difficult).

The FS-i6 is a great transmitter when paired with the iA6B receiver. At the moment FlySky has issues with A8S, which due to its light size has insuffient EMI shielding, so some quad users are seeing brownouts. Wrap in aluminimum foil and it works fine again.

The X6B has failsafe on PWM but not on PPM/iBus. This is a major risk for people on flight controllers. iA6B firmware on X6B fixes this, but then voltage sensors becomes unreliable.

I love the weight and light weight of the FlySky i6. And the price of receivers (usually $10 or so). And the community has hacked it to enable 10 channels, and a timer. And more telemetry from flight controllers are comming as well.

There are rumors people are working on OpenTx for FS-i6x/i10. So a FlySky transmitter is fine today. And at $50 it is not too expensive.

The Taranis Q X7 is an attempt to not completely lose the market, but it is still like 3x the price of a FlySky system with one receiver. And you get a transmitter where you have to suffer incompatibility, or fly it outside EU regulations.