Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Flies like crap?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2013, 05:14 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
bartricky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
I forgot to add that for the evening video my V959 was fitted with the GWS 5443 blades.
I just received my GWS blades and yes the set screw holes don't line up on the v959 and leave a little slop.
I pressed them on/down to where I wanted them and drilled a new hole in the shaft. Seems OK but haven't got it out flying yet.

*As others have said check the balance on the GWS blades.
Jan 23, 2013, 05:25 AM
...you hear that, Mr Anderson?
Inevitability's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow
Flies like crap?
Don't they all?
Jan 23, 2013, 05:38 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
FyreSG's Avatar
It took me a while to understand it. Haha!
Jan 23, 2013, 06:19 AM
Registered User
Good to know that new hole solution.
Mine is taking forever to get here.
Jan 23, 2013, 06:51 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
bartricky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
I just received my GWS blades and yes the set screw holes don't line up on the v959 and leave a little slop.
I pressed them on/down to where I wanted them and drilled a new hole in the shaft. Seems OK but haven't got it out flying yet.

*As others have said check the balance on the GWS blades.
On second thought....

Just flew mine indoors. It vibrated and shook like crazy..
Took off the balancing tape and it still flew like crap.
Switching back to the stock props... stay tuned.
Jan 23, 2013, 08:44 AM
The flightless bird
jameschen072's Avatar
Inevitability: win of the year right there...lol!
Latest blog entry: The Fei-Lun FT011 Review
Jan 23, 2013, 09:21 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
bartricky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
Inevitability: win of the year right there...lol!
Re: Don't change it if it ain't broke.

I loved my V959 right out of the box.

From my plane experience, in general, the longer the prop the more thrust and the more pitch the more speed but slower acceleration.

The stock v959 props are longer and have less pitch than the GWS.

I will keep the GWS and try them on my 929 which is a closer match.

Oh well...
Jan 23, 2013, 09:32 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
FyreSG's Avatar
I replaced two V959 blades with the GWS 5443 blades. I put the quad over a desk fan. The airflow hits the quad perpendicularly. The two GWS 5443 blades spun earlier and faster than the other two blades i.e. stock V959 blades. I'm not sure if this means anything.

The balance of the GWS 5443 blades are very, very bad. If you didn't balance them before trying, do expect them to be a downgrade. I'd be very surprised if the quad flies fine with the unbalanced blades.

Look closely at the blade - one end has "GWS" while the other end has "5443". The "GWS" end is much lighter and require quite a lot of tape to balance the blade.
Jan 23, 2013, 09:34 AM
The flightless bird
jameschen072's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky
Re: Don't change it if it ain't broke.

I loved my V959 right out of the box.

From my plane experience, in general, the longer the prop the more thrust and the more pitch the more speed but slower acceleration.

The stock v959 props are longer and have less pitch than the GWS.

I will keep the GWS and try them on my 929 which is a closer match.

Oh well...
Yup, selecting the right prop is very important in both fixed winged aircraft and quads alike. I think the stock props are well balanced and provide adequate performance..so they're good enough for me for now...
Latest blog entry: The Fei-Lun FT011 Review
Jan 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
Registered User
Just got my v959.. It flies well (though I don't know how u guys manage with the stock tx) and I think will make a good fpv platform...
Did your guys package come with an sd card?
Jan 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
Registered User
it comes with a 2gb card, and card reader.. look under the plastic molding, in the retail box (that's where mine was)
Last edited by username2620; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Jan 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
Registered User
natscape's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow
Just got my v959.. It flies well (though I don't know how u guys manage with the stock tx) and I think will make a good fpv platform...
Did your guys package come with an sd card?
Time to transplant the fpv gear from the 929.
Jan 23, 2013, 11:36 PM
Registered User
YEp
Jan 24, 2013, 01:53 AM
Registered User
asanovrus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape
Time to transplant the fpv gear from the 929.

please don't forget to videotape the process, and some explanations for dummies would be very appreciated!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review WLtoys V929 Beetle Ladybird Quad Mini-Review FyreSG Mini Multirotor Drones 3831 Mar 06, 2017 08:55 PM
Mini-Review WLtoys V949 UFO Quad Mini-Review FyreSG Mini Multirotor Drones 1748 Mar 06, 2017 05:37 AM
Mini-Review WLtoys V922 6-Channel CP Flybarless Helicopter Mini-Review FyreSG Micro Helis 8315 Jan 29, 2016 09:21 PM
Mini-Review WLToys Beetle quad review jameschen072 Mini Multirotor Drones 5149 Oct 29, 2014 01:57 AM