Jan 16, 2020, 11:10 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
found it, pics made on vhs, no sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDieBrMkKw
OUCH! That hurt to watch you must have been gutted when it hit the pole!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 10:31 AM
That was a pole rich environment!! With the naturally occurring gravitational anomalies associated with slender vertical objects and RC planes, that took a lot of nerve to fly there! With me at the sticks, the probability of hitting a pole would have been 1!
Jan 17, 2020, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad
That was a pole rich environment!! With the naturally occurring gravitational anomalies associated with slender vertical objects and RC planes, that took a lot of nerve to fly there! With me at the sticks, the probability of hitting a pole would have been 1!
I can't fly in those areas I don't have the depth perception for it any more.
Jan 17, 2020, 11:31 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Same here, but I didn't have that excuse then.
My trouble was a rare problem combined with gusting wind (80% of the days off)
I don't remember if it was the kit recommendation or just a kick I was on at the time, but I had the rudder mixed into the throttles for variable motor speed steering.
the problem I learned was...
When you are climbing out, and give a little rudder, you lose thrust on that side.
As the video shows, right after a gust put the nose high I gave a little left rudder.
This resulted in an immediate stall, the resulting dive to regain speed put me below the streetlight level.

So if you go with this type of steering in place of the rudder, be sure you have plenty of airspeed before using rudder control.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:40 PM
I think I'll stick with a rudder. I had a JU-52 foamy once that steered that way and it didn't work out too good. Then again anything that light is going to have problems with the wind. The wind didn't do the JU-52 any favors either.
Jan 17, 2020, 02:32 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
found it, pics made on vhs, no sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPDieBrMkKw
I'm kinda glad there's no sound, I know the WHACK of a model hitting an obstacle all too well and have no great desire to hear it again. That was a nice model anyway, despite that incident
Jan 17, 2020, 03:06 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
….So if you go with this type of steering in place of the rudder, be sure you have plenty of airspeed before using rudder control.....
Or set up the mix on a switch and only use said mix for special maneuvers?
Jan 17, 2020, 05:30 PM
I just want to go fly!
That was a beautiful model. I would’ve been too afraid to fly there myself. You’re very brave.
Jan 18, 2020, 09:14 PM
Naked Frenchie! 22" span Max Holste MH-1521 Broussard for rubber free flight, from Mike Nassise plans. Just under 15g as pictured. Had a little fun with the tailwheel...

Mike
Jan 19, 2020, 03:43 PM
I just want to go fly!
Nice tail wheel
Jan 19, 2020, 06:15 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Finished the fuse
Jan 20, 2020, 06:29 AM
Taildragger,

Thatís a nice Bipe - totally fixable! Inertia is a hard thing when doing a rebuild.

Jim
Jan 20, 2020, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately, that was in the fall of 2014.
We were already working on another bipe that flew in early summer.
Found the maiden on that one too.

Stampe Maiden 7 17 15 (3 min 5 sec)
Jan 20, 2020, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I forgot this is the naked wood thread.
Here's the before shots:
Jan 20, 2020, 11:31 PM
Great looking Tiger Moth!

Quick Reply