Jan 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrak
yes you can

but energy will be lost every cycle.
Dont care about lost energy, if I can drain the packs at 2000W it will be a great way to cycle packs without doing it on a helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn
Dont care about lost energy, if I can drain the packs at 2000W it will be a great way to cycle packs without doing it on a helicopter
With the current firmware it is possible to discharge from one channel to a RESISTIVE load (resistors, bulbs and so on) on the other channel. In future firmware versions it will be possible to use batteries instead.

Note that it allready is possible to discharge to a deepcycle battery ON THE INPUT POWER TERMINAL

Cheers

C.
Jan 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
ancora imparo
Nice feature but the limit will be a lot less than 2000Watts surely since you will be limited to the CHARGE rate of the pack into which you are putting the current???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn
Jan 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
● Specifications:
● Input voltage range: 9.0—50.0VDC
● Maximum input current limit: <65A
● Maximum charge/discharge current: 70A@Syn. Mode 40A@Asyn. Mode
● Maximum charge power capacity: 2000W (Channel 1400W @input > 23.5V)
● Maximum discharge power capacity: 200W (Channel 130W)
● Maximum regenerative discharge power capacity: 2000W (Channel 1400W)
● Maximum extra discharge power capacity: 3200W (Channel 1600W @40V/40A)
● Maximum current drain for balancing: 2.4A@Syn. Mode 1.2A@Asyn. Mode
So max discharge rate between channels( when it becomes avaiable) would be 1400 it would appear.

Common issue / problem with Regenerative even if not called regenerative is that when the battery receiving the charge approaches the point of being close to charge the rate has to be reduced to prevent overcharging.

I have used Regen. a fair amount for over two years and often it is necessary to place an addational load on the being charged (sink source) to keep its voltage down so discharge rate does not drop to much.

Charles
Jan 17, 2013, 08:00 PM
ancora imparo
Charles, in addition when regenerative into a LiPo unlike a Pb you also surely have to take into account the max. recommended charge rate of the sink pack?

For example you might well be able to get the charger to do 1400 Watts but if you are discharging into a 6S 3000mAh (say) with a max recommended charge rate of 5C then for a nominal cell voltage of 3.7V you are limited to 6 x 3.7 x 3 x5 = 333 Watts.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
So max discharge rate between channels( when it becomes avaiable) would be 1400 it would appear.

Common issue / problem with Regenerative even if not called regenerative is that when the battery receiving the charge approaches the point of being close to charge the rate has to be reduced to prevent overcharging.

I have used Regen. a fair amount for over two years and often it is necessary to place an addational load on the being charged (sink source) to keep its voltage down so discharge rate does not drop to much.

Charles
Jan 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
Southern Pride
Very true John but then per post #62

Snip

Quote:
I was mostly pointing out that 2000 is not possible and 1400 would be a best case.

If one has 10S 5000 in parallel then 40A is only 4C which many LiPolys can handle and even a single 10S 4000 which is capable of being charged at 10C is a candidate.

Your Powerlog6 device is simple and I fail to see why such could not be charger controlled instead of being yet another device.

Long ago one of the members here modified a HK charger to use an external load for discharging.

The iCharger's dsc. + works but is a bit complex for most. THe 4010's ability to discharge one Ch. into a load on the other Ch. be it a bank of bulbs or.............. is a step in the right direction but I admit I have not spent anytime testing it.

We are experiencing our first snow flurries of the year here and for North Ga. snow always spells trouble.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 18, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Jan 17, 2013, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrak
just read about a firmware 2.02b3 that will optimize the cc/cv phase. maybe junsi can tell us something about that ?
Details about the V2.02_beta3 have been updated on the first post, please check it.

Junsi
Jan 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
Guys here is the solution home made. 4 Dells 550W power supply in series. I got it today and is not finished but works. I need put everything in good shape. That was only a test. Its suppose to produce 48V 2200W 45Amps.

Its suppose to move the charger at full power.

Testing.
Last edited by Nelvick; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 PM
Use the 4S Luke
I have been hoping someone would order a 48V supply from me. I'd like to give it a go.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
Got the 4010Duo today. Just scratched the surface of what it can do but one thing I really like is that it shares the presets between channels. Every other dual channel charger I have had made the user set a preset per channel. So I was always duplicating presets.

The discharge capability with a light bulb rack intrigues me. Still got a few of those from my NIXX racing days. I understand light bulbs can be used when discharging from one channel to the other. Question is, can light bulbs be used for the "Lithium Battery Extra Discharge Mode" where the bulbs would be placed in series with the positive lead on the batteries? I thought I read somewhere previously that for this discharge mode you could not use light bulbs.
Jan 18, 2013, 12:31 AM
ancora imparo
Hmmm... maybe we could do a deal.

You might consider exporting Georgian snow.

From the news.

Australia has started 2013 with a record-breaking heat wave that has lasted more than two weeks across many parts of the country. Temperatures have regularly gone above 48°C, with the highest recorded maximum of 49.6°C at Moomba in South Australia.

Sydney is sweltering through its hottest day on record, with the mercury hitting 45.3 degrees in the city.

Many parts of NSW were hovering around 45 degrees at lunchtime on Friday as a fiery air mass from inland Australia moved over the state, pushing the mercury well above the forecast maximum.

That's 45.3C and 49.6C of course =114F and 121F. I'm not having any problem with cold sag in my LiPos at the moment.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer

We are experiencing our first snow flurries of the year here and for North Ga. snow always spells trouble.

Charles
Jan 18, 2013, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelvick
Guys here is the solution home made. 4 Dells 550W power supply in series. I got it today and is not finished but works. I need put everything in good shape. That was only a test. Its suppose to produce 48V 2200W 45Amps.

Its suppose to move the charger at full power.

Testing.
Nice setup! Just one observation. I see that you only use one set of output blades per supply, you are not concerned that the terminals will heat up too much or overload the design at full power?

When I have converted my different PSUs I have connected cables to all blades, reasoning that the guys who designed them probably know how many terminals are needed in parallell to transfer full power safely within connector specs.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:13 AM
How is the user interface versus PL8?
Does it have a "quick start charging"
eg start charging, can i only choose amp and start charging?

Or must select cells, capacity, amp / select preset program?

Like PL8 very well that auto select cells.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesa1
Does it have a "quick start charging"
eg start charging, can i only choose amp and start charging?

Or must select cells, capacity, amp / select preset program?

Like PL8 very well that auto select cells.
Cell count is autodetected. Capacity does not have to be set, not much point anyway as a safety measure.

The only value that has to be set is Amps, but it is not as quick as on the 3010b for example if you are used to changing this value manually for every charge. On the 3010b, only three inputs (button actions) plus the amp setting is needed. But on the 4010duo, seven or eight inputs must be done if you havenīt set up a preset for the amp value in advance.

Unless Junsi create a "quick start" feature, the best solution is to set up a number of presets with your favourite amps. Then the 4010duo is extremely quick to start up a charge on, just three inputs in all plus start.
Jan 18, 2013, 06:53 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
First off the iCharger 4010 DUO is not only the most powerful hobby charger I have every used it is also the best Dual Channel LiPoly charger I have ever used.

Ease of use of any charger is very subjective but 4010 is about 100 times easier than when I received my first beta one in OCt. '12. Out of the box it took me so much time and so many attempts that I was about ready to send it back to Junsi and the vendor that shipped it. Myself and others suggested numerious changes over the past 3 months and there have been many charges to the software some to fix bugs and many to make using it simplier.

IMO this charger really needs to have the ability to use the computer interface to program and manage presets.

Yes one can create and modify presets with the charger itself but at present there is no means to save presets to a Micro SD card do a factory restore then load selected Presets from the SD card. If you have multi sets of saved presets there is no way to merge ones from different saves. I also hate having to use a twist and push to selct letters and numbers. Good grief this is 2013 and chances are that if one purchases a smart charger they have a computer with a real keyboard. Some of you IT guys perhaps can explain why at mininum having a keyboard interfact would be so complicted and expensive. I still want WiFi interface myself. One can purchase a memory card for a digital camera that has WiFi built in that will transgfere photos from camera to computer. Yes there is a much larger market for cameras and flash memory that hobby chargers but someone needs to be first ,speaking of which the 4010 DUO has many first.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply