Jan 17, 2020, 05:35 PM
Bret Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY
If only "CV" is set here, the balancing begins as soon as a cell has reached the end of charge voltage. With LiPo at 4.20V.
If you now set "CV - 0.2V", the balancing starts already at 4,00V.
Thanks! Now I get it.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2020, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nejc11
I also found the debate where user Garth.Brooks writes about problems with Icharger 4010 duo and how the internal buck-boost converters are extremely sensitive for input voltage fluctuations and how the 4010 may then play ping-pong with a cheap PSU until one of them gives up. So I started to look for a better PSU.
I agree with Garth Brooks on how the internal buck-boost converters works as being the root cause of this issue. I had similar issue several years ago when I used a top quality Meanwell power supply with an iCharger 4010 duo and also with an iCharger 208B.

Long story short, I figured out that by raising the PSU output voltage to 27V, the issue went away immediately.

I’m still using these same equipments nowdays with zero issues.

WARNING: proceed with the following procedures only if you have some experience in electro/electronics and also have proper tools, otherwise, you better find a certified technician to help you.

“If you feel confortable in opening the case to take a look inside the PSU, try to find a trimpot that adjusts the output voltage and raise it a little bit; use a multimeter to make sure you are doing the right thing. Chances are this might solve the problem.”

Carlos
Jan 18, 2020, 09:15 AM
Be sure to stay within the max watts, raising V may need to reduce A
Jan 18, 2020, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella
I agree with Garth Brooks on how the internal buck-boost converters works as being the root cause of this issue. I had similar issue several years ago when I used a top quality Meanwell power supply with an iCharger 4010 duo and also with an iCharger 208B.

Long story short, I figured out that by raising the PSU output voltage to 27V, the issue went away immediately.

I’m still using these same equipments nowdays with zero issues.

WARNING: proceed with the following procedures only if you have some experience in electro/electronics and also have proper tools, otherwise, you better find a certified technician to help you.

“If you feel confortable in opening the case to take a look inside the PSU, try to find a trimpot that adjusts the output voltage and raise it a little bit; use a multimeter to make sure you are doing the right thing. Chances are this might solve the problem.”

Carlos
I believe Garth Brooks, but I don't understand why my PSU was clicking and going into OC mode, and after I did a factory reset on charger, the PSU works without any problem.
Before I reset the charger I had also noticed that when it started charging, the current showed negative value, which was a bug fixed by the update V2.17, but I'm running it on V2.18.

Hobbywing PSU has a voltage adjustement option, and I'm already using it at max 18V, while HP DPS-800 GB A is limited to 12V.
Jan 19, 2020, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeer
I got bought four years ago an iCharger 4010 Duo (at ZJ-hobbyshop.de). I’m satisfied with this charger. However, one odd issue. The iCharger 4010 Duo let ‘short circuit’ the power supply.

Every year this strange issue is happening.

On my (recently broken) power supply (13.8V, 500 Watt “Lindinger”) kicks in over-current protection once in a while when start charging. My new replacement power supply (similar, 13.8V, 500 Watt “Robitronic”) seems to be somewhat more powerful. The PSU makes a ticking noise, the voltages drop between 11 – 12 Volt of the usual 13.8 Volts but continue charging and voltages goes to 13.8 Volts. The lipo charge current during the over-current period is less 1 Amps. I also have a 12V – 400 Watt Compaq server PSU), the same issue (kicks in over-current protection). Using 4S lipo 1 - 3.7 Ah. Charge current is between 2.5 - 7.5 Amps (~2 - 3 C charging).
Every time I use that specific iCharger “battery memory selection entry”, it will ‘short circuit’ the power supply again.
My first idea: defective iCharger (port), but 6S lipo (8 Ah) with 16 amps charging (400 Watts) charging with no problem at all. The problem happens on both charging ports. Using another battery memory selection entry, the iCharger works well and as expected.

My fix: Create a new iCharger “battery memory selection entry” with the same charge settings it will solve the issue.

For that (problem) “battery memory selection entry“, the issue is persistent, and I can reproduce the issue at will.
I’ve organised the battery memory selection entries in iCharger by Lipo cell count, amount of mAh and charge current. More than 2000 charges done with this iCharger.

I've many lipos 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6S. I do only single channel charging. iCharger Channel mode is asynchronous. I’ve got no more than 6S lipo’s and NEVER do charge of multiple packages on one iCharger port, like serial charging (two 4S lipo in serial and charge as 8S) or parallel charging (two 4S cells in parallel).

Using iCharger software version: V2.18 and an SD card installed.
Last week it happened again. The same solution to fix (create a new iCharger battery memory selection entry). The issue occurs after 50 – 150 loads for that memory selection entry. 4S Lipo seems the problem type.
No clue what might cause ‘the corruption’ of that particular memory selection entry.

My questions:
• Has somebody advice?
• A defect in hardware or bug in software?
• Do I do something wrong?

-= Carlo
The same problem as mine. I need to remove the SD card ASP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeer
Hi RNFLY,

You are the man!

I did some brief testing, and the problem is gone. I’ve got 5 problem battery memory selection entries. They are working now without problems. Put the SD card back, and the problem exists again. Reproduce at will!
The SD card is the root cause of many wacky issues with this 4010Duo and most likely a broken power supply.

I don’t know if it is a not good working SD-card or SD with too much (similar) files and the iCharger micro controller has difficulties to handle this. The 4010Duo seems to neglect it most important task: charging. Most likely on moments where it has to deal with many time-critical issues. This ended in (a kind of) short-circuit of the power supply.

I removed the SD card. I don't use the logging.

Carlos, Dave and RNFLY: Thanks for your great support!
Kind regards,
Carlo van der Meer
Jan 20, 2020, 01:37 PM
After some years of good use, I also had increasingly more weird problems with my 4010DUO. Similar as described in post #2700 at https://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthr...05087&page=270 , there is a youtube movie showing the weird behaviour including the sounds. One of my PSUs was destroyed too. The other PSU, of another manufacturer, was "audibly complaining", but didn't break.

According to the post ,the 4010DUO can start to behave strange when there to many logs on the SD-card. The solution is either to clear the SD-card periodically or not to insert the SD-card. See the post after #2700 for more reports of the same nature.

I don't insert the SD-card anymore and my 4010DUO has behaved well again ever after.
Last edited by JaapDMC; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply