Jan 03, 2013, 10:34 AM
tiger moth fiend
Thread OP
Alert

Cellphone and radio towers can shoot you down!(even on 2.4)!

At our local club, there is a radio tower. It transmits in one direction, which happens to go right through one corner of our flight pattern. Approximately 10-12 planes have crashed in that corner. The pilots were all flying DSM2 or DSMX. The crashes have been attributed to the fact that DSM2 and DSMX (which use DSSS) chose 2 channels and stay on them. When the tower transmits, it uses all of those channels. People who fly FHSS (Futaba or Hitec) have had no problems. DSSS is slightly faster, but in a crowded enviroment with lots of noise (flyin or club like mine) is can easily be shot down. FHSS is slightly slower, and still transmit on 2 channels, but those channels change approximately 500 times per second. In addition, FHSS is constantly scanning all the channels and only hops onto clear ones. DSSS doesn't do that. I am not a Futaba or Hitec salesman, and have been an avid Spectrum fan, but I may convert to Hitec as insurance. Just be careful.
Thanks,
Nathan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2013, 10:45 AM
DSMX jumps over 23 channels like FASSTest jumps over 23 channels.
FASST(est) is FH-DSSS like DSMX.
Hitec is FHSS.
FHSS scan not the channels constantly, it's must jump in a fixed pattern or the RX lost the syncronisation and never reconect.
You mean sure Hitecs AFHSS scan mode, but this is not realy adaptive or DSM2 is adaptiv too.
Then 1000ms/20ms* results in 50 jumps for anlog servos and not 500 per second!
1000ms/10ms* results in 100jumps per second for digital servos.
Maybe is in Canada one second longer? Or how should 500 jumps fit in one second?

*Frame rate
Last edited by Kambalunga; Jan 03, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Jan 03, 2013, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
DSMX jumps over 23 channels like FASSTest jumps over 23 channels.
Andy from HH said 36ch.... anyway I lost the control with a 14ch FASST receiver ~200m away from HV tower, no protocol is interference-free
Jan 03, 2013, 12:55 PM
It's not the protcol. It's more a question of power.

http://www.schule.de/bics/son/verkeh...1/v1781_24.htm

http://translate.google.com/translat...24.htm&act=url
Jan 03, 2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro
Andy from HH said 36ch.... anyway I lost the control with a 14ch FASST receiver ~200m away from HV tower, no protocol is interference-free
Not this Andy! It's always been 23 channels.

Andy
Jan 03, 2013, 01:12 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Anything can be swamped if the interference is powerful enough and close enough.
Jan 04, 2013, 03:15 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
As there are often many more spektrums than other brands they therefore get more incidents. Ive been flying with spektrum for 8 years and the only time I lost control was when a control horn broke on an aileron though I did initially look to blame the TX and other club mates were quick to blame the tx too. I still fly my DSM and DSM2 tx's but would be wary about flying near any large transmission tower that could swamp your signal.
Jan 05, 2013, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Not this Andy! It's always been 23 channels.

Andy
sorry for the confusion but I read 36 somewhere....
what do you mean with "pure FH" ?
RENATOA said there is no pure FHSS system...
Jan 06, 2013, 04:53 AM
Maybe read some the CC2500 datasheet first. Maybe mixup somebody the CC2500 with the CC2520 but this T/R is not used by Hitec, Frysky or Futaba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequen...pread_spectrum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSSS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum
Last edited by Kambalunga; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Jan 06, 2013, 11:31 AM

and windmills?

and what about microwave links from wind farms?
i fly at a field that is next to 4 towers from a radio station, and is also in the trajectory of a windmill to their control central system, and have had 4 spins and crash only in that direction, so was suggested that it could be the wind farm microwaves. am into 2.4. i also remember long time ago my plane lost control and dived. at the time a car was passing by at the road nearby. i never had any problem with that plane before or after, so could be that the driver was on his cellular at the time.
Jan 06, 2013, 05:22 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Man l talk on my cell phone while flying with no issues. Others at the field on the phone too. Heck l have had no issues with being on a cell phone while hovering a plane only a few feet away from me.
No brand or frequency is impervious to being jammed by a lot of noise .
Jan 06, 2013, 06:06 PM
well, i understand that this thread is with the purpose to find out if, as the title on post 1 implies, if:
'Cellphone and radio towers can shoot you down!(even on 2.4)!'
remember?
not to say that if something has not happened to you or some that you know, it can not happen.
so, why don't we try to stay put with the original idea?
what we need to know is if it has happened to some1 and discuss the details.
otherwise i rather spend my time somewhere else.
regards.
Jan 06, 2013, 07:28 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
I've never been under the impression that our modern radios are going to be 100% reliable all the time.

Can a big ol radio antenna interfere with our super duper transmitters? You bet it can.
Even if its not in the same frequency range being that close to it could simply swamp the RX.
Jan 06, 2013, 11:29 PM

4 radio antennas

at the place where i fly there are 4 radio antennas nearby and never has been any problem. in any frequency.
that is, until recently, that coincidentally some wind mills have been installed at about 1 mile.
and, as i said before, what we need to know is if it has happened to some1 and discuss the details.
Jan 07, 2013, 12:50 AM
many people think a broken linkage was the fault of 2.4 interference, but in all high probability you just built your plane like crap, didn't find proper cg or you hit a wrong switch on the tx. I use 3 park fly models on 1 dx5e on dsm2 and the dumbest mistake was forgetting to reverse elevator, which cost a prop. I use AFHSS for my larger stuff but never had any hits on either.

Quick Reply