Feb 12, 2013, 01:20 PM
@turboparker

+1 on a larger sized beast! 40" or 48" maybe? I'd pre-order one this second!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
I have the same reservations on size vs electric. When I reentered the model airplane hobby recently I vowed it would be all electric. And as I get more involved have decided that all electric to me dictates max size. I prefer they stay at or under 3 cell, 2500 mah requirements. I do have one 4 cell, but don't like the cost of batteries or excessive charging equipment or time to recharge and just can't ever see myself going with something that would require $100 batteries. If I were to go there it would have to be gas - and I do not want to do that either. I know some guys that have big electrics and they come out to the field, fly them once and their day is done as they only have one battery and not enough field charging capability to quickly recharge. And I want at least 3 batteries for anything I fly and $300 is just way above what I would consider.
Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe
@turboparker

+1 on a larger sized beast! 40" or 48" maybe? I'd pre-order one this second!
You aren't the only one man!! I really hope they are coming out with a larger Beast. I'd take anything from the QQ Edge size on up to something the size of the VA or even a 60" version.

Just give me one and I'll gladly take it!
Feb 12, 2013, 01:31 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
You aren't the only one man!! I really hope they are coming out with a larger Beast. I'd take anything from the QQ Edge size on up to something the size of the VA or even a 60" version.

Just give me one and I'll gladly take it!
+1 for 48 - 60"
Feb 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs
+1 for 48 - 60"
Ditto!
Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
I have the 42" Dynam Pitts which is a really fun plane, but I'd buy a similar sized Beast the second it came to market!! I can just imagine what QQ and the HH team could make out of that - it would be the next must have plane for sure!
Feb 12, 2013, 02:01 PM
Diverted by planks
A little first day video I caught. Sorry it cut out at 2 min, so you don't see my hover attempts, harrier across field, or landings... I need to get new batteries for my little camera, they are shot.

But if anyone who currently flies a sport plane has any misgivings, I think this should put them to rest, the docile nature of the plane in General flight mode definitely comes through.

visionaire first flight (2 min 4 sec)

So today, after I got some ribbing about my 'automatic flying plane' etc, I turned it over to an experienced 3D guy to get another assessment, and let him prove to himself that no, it does not hover itself or actually do the maneuvers itself -- the AS3X merely stabilizes it and makes it more 'simulator like' even in some pretty breezy conditions we have had lately.

I know he was only teasing, but I also know some of the 'old-hands' really do have intrenched resistance to any sort of stabilization. All I can say is that times are changing, and that with the gain adjustments, they can sure get it out of their way if it honestly bugs them in flight.

So, after he took it up and did some spins, snaps, hovering (wasn't as easy as perhaps he thought it would be - took a few tries to get it figured out, and even then, not sustained automatically, takes some work!), high alpha, knife edging, etc, I got his "notes" on the flight:

* AS3X can definitely be felt working. He did not make a positive or negative about it, just that it's not the same as an un-gyroed plane.

* Flight surfaces are not completely uncoupled. This is not a surprise, since it's a shoulder wing plane with a real fuselage and airfoil wing, versus say a mid-mounted-flat-wing equipped flat-foamie. Again, not sure this was anything other than a pronouncement, and not any sort of indictment against the plane.

* Pulls to canopy in knife-edge. See above. This could obviously be handled with a mix if needed.

* Thrust angle is not sufficient. I could easily see this for myself during straight vertical climb out, canopy facing towards pilot, when it yaws left, so needs more right angle. Thrust angle setup could also help account for the pull during knife edge (down thrust amount also not enough). I looked in through the battery area, and the mount looks quite conventional -- an X bracket on a plastic housing, so adding the right washers to fix the thrust angles should be a simple matter.

* Lacks any wing rock at all until the bitter edge.

I think that's about it from Day 1.
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Feb 12, 2013, 02:06 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE
I'd buy a similar sized Beast the second it came to market!! I can just imagine what QQ and the HH team could make out of that - it would be the next must have plane for sure!
Feb 12, 2013, 02:32 PM
A larger sized beast would be a great tribute to the pilot of the full sized beast who died... Bryan Jensen
Feb 12, 2013, 02:37 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
...I got his "notes" on the flight:

* AS3X can definitely be felt working. He did not make a positive or negative about it, just that it's not the same as an un-gyroed plane.

* Flight surfaces are not completely uncoupled. This is not a surprise, since it's a shoulder wing plane with a real fuselage and airfoil wing, versus say a mid-mounted-flat-wing equipped flat-foamie. Again, not sure this was anything other than a pronouncement, and not any sort of indictment against the plane.

* Pulls to canopy in knife-edge. See above. This could obviously be handled with a mix if needed.

* Thrust angle is not sufficient. I could easily see this for myself during straight vertical climb out, canopy facing towards pilot, when it yaws left, so needs more right angle. Thrust angle setup could also help account for the pull during knife edge (down thrust amount also not enough). I looked in through the battery area, and the mount looks quite conventional -- an X bracket on a plastic housing, so adding the right washers to fix the thrust angles should be a simple matter.

* Lacks any wing rock at all until the bitter edge.

I think that's about it from Day 1.
I didn't notice any coupling in mine at all. But it was rather windy so maybe the wind was just magically holding it straight? Doubt it but I'll reserve final judgement until I can fly it without any wind.

I think I did also notice the thrust angle a little bit but I've seen this in plenty of planes before.

I'll just say this though (although it doesn't necessarily relate to your friend) - a lot of poeple seem to fly planes and look for them to be absolutely perfect. I don't see it that way. I mean I expect it to balance properly and fly pretty well but it's not a big deal to me if there's a little coupling or the thrust angle isn't exactly right. At some point you just have to fly the damn thing.
Feb 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
Road Scholar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I can't tell you if it would make a difference without trying it. Optimizing a prop for any plane requires flight-testing. For optimum performance, a prop must match the airframe, powerplant, flying style, and the elevation. Regarding the price - Vox 12" & 13" props are $8-9 USD: http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/c...?cid=70&pcid=4
Thanks Joel. Appreciate your insight. I'll look into it and try to educate myself on props. JJ
Feb 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
do not agree with tracknoobs friend===no coupling in ke--NO problem thrust angle going vertical stopping along the way to HOVER with MINIMUM input,,,ME being ROOKIE going on 6 months some stuff still learning to do for BUT for sure i can HOVER THIS PLANE as long as Turner can,,,ALSO U DO NOT FEEL AS3X at all==== done for now
Last edited by dalecheek1; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:22 PM
ldf
ldf
I got kind of a kick out of the build videoHere The only thing he really did wrong was to put the landing gear on backwards.

Quite the Maiden as well.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
ALSO U DO NOT FEEL AS3X at all
Forgive me if this is just a matter of semantics or if I'm misunderstanding you... But you can ABSOLUTELY feel the AS3X when flying. This is a GOOD thing. Have you set up your AR635 to zero gains? I have. Try it and you'll see the difference, especially on a windier day. The gyro system's correctons makes flying much more stable and allows the airframe to perform like a "bigger/more stable" airframe.
Feb 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
do not agree with tracknoobs friend===no coupling in ke--NO problem thrust angle going vertical stopping along the way to HOVER with MINIMUM input,,,ME being ROOKIE going on 6 months some stuff still learning to do for BUT for sure i can HOVER THIS PLANE as long as Turner can,,,ALSO U DO NOT FEEL AS3X at all==== done for now
Hmmmm... hover and/or torque roll contest maybe? Maybe a hover while eating lunch contest?

Quick Reply