Feb 07, 2013, 11:11 AM
Cats can fly!
bobly... I think you'll like flying the plane in General Flight mode. I'm not in the all-out 3d camp either, so GF mode is where I'm getting stick time. I did put my DX6i d/r's on a "combi" switch, so can flip back and forth easily. At about 10 mistakes high I tried a few "moves" on the high rates...pretty exciting!!
The other Visionaire pilot at my field has set his up in "Sport" mode. I'm not sure how this compares to flying in General Flight. Anyone care to comment?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 11:51 AM
Boost rules!

Alternate props

I've had excellent results with Vox props on my larger electrics. They're machined German beechwood props that are perfectly balanced at the factory, and they're even more efficient than similar-sized APC props. Might be worth a look.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/voxprops/index.html

Joel
Feb 07, 2013, 12:52 PM
Former DJI VP of Policy &Legal
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I've had excellent results with Vox props on my larger electrics. They're machined German beechwood props that are perfectly balanced at the factory, and they're even more efficient than similar-sized APC props. Might be worth a look.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/voxprops/index.html

Joel
I've got those on my PA Bandit and they break easily. Like if you nick the runway on the landing, the wood splits and the prop is trash. It becomes expensive!
Feb 07, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat
bobly... I think you'll like flying the plane in General Flight mode. I'm not in the all-out 3d camp either, so GF mode is where I'm getting stick time. I did put my DX6i d/r's on a "combi" switch, so can flip back and forth easily. At about 10 mistakes high I tried a few "moves" on the high rates...pretty exciting!!
The other Visionaire pilot at my field has set his up in "Sport" mode. I'm not sure how this compares to flying in General Flight. Anyone care to comment?
Thanks for the feedback. I've often wondered if there were others in the same boat. I hang around here because even though I'm not a 3d'er, I've come to love most 3d planes. I have found them some of the best general across the board everyday and aerobatic flyers I've tried. But seems like if the plane is in any way associated with 3d or has it in the name, most in the other forms shy completely away from it and the 3d forums are the only place to get much good information. I think there may be a lot of folks out there that are missing a bet by not trying some so-called 3d planes because they don't do 3d. If you have a 3d plane you can dabble in 3d if you wish, but most make absolutely super everyday flyers as well. I've had comments at the flying field like "that thing acts more like a pattern plane, I thought it was a 3d plane" and hopefully this one will act that way also.
Feb 07, 2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmS
Ok was so keen to fly my Visionaire last Friday that I went flying in a muddy and waterlogged field. Not really a problem as she takes off short and I can land her straight down so long clear runs not needed. Only problem was on my third battery she landed straight down but then nosed over straight into a puddle

Control surfaces worked ok but motor just twitched a bit and clearly was unhappy. Either the ESC or the motor didn't like the wet. So I took her home and stuffed a load of rice in the front to try and dry things off. Last night I decided to try her (after 48hrs drying) and this time the motor did fire sporadically until smoke then came out of the cowl. Not sure if it was the ESC or the motor that fried as both felt warm (unfortuantley I left the cowl on so couldn't see where smoke was coming from)

Now I suspect I need a new ESC and/or motor but of course both are new and nobody as any. I have ordered another 40A ESC not an eflite one from a supplier but I am not sure what would be a good motor replacement. Anybody got any suggestions?
Well I ordered a new 40A ESC and it arrived today. Tested it with motor and all fine However slight fly in the ointment is that in my hurry I didn't realise it is an ESC with a 3A BEC and the eflite original is a 5A BEC becasue of the AS3X (the instructions for the AS3X states it needs a 5A BEC) SO plane still grounded and have ordered an ESC with a 5A BEC but at least I don't need a new motor
Feb 07, 2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmS
Well I ordered a new 40A ESC and it arrived today. Tested it with motor and all fine However slight fly in the ointment is that in my hurry I didn't realise it is an ESC with a 3A BEC and the eflite original is a 5A BEC becasue of the AS3X (the instructions for the AS3X states it needs a 5A BEC) SO plane still grounded and have ordered an ESC with a 5A BEC but at least I don't need a new motor
Just get a UBEC and then you can use whatever ESC you want...

Tom
Feb 07, 2013, 02:35 PM
Snuck in another flight at lunch today, COLD but given snowmageddon that is coming I figured it was my last chance for a while. LOVE this plane, flies SOOOO well!!!

Also finished my Reactor last night, I'm SO jonesing for warm weather again!!!

Tom
Feb 07, 2013, 04:19 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Tom,pls do your best - we also need better weather here.
Last chance Chuck or another guy at a sunny place has to invite us
I hate winter season especially if Horizon shoot some new planes which I bought and can't fly
Feb 07, 2013, 04:20 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman
I've got those on my PA Bandit and they break easily. Like if you nick the runway on the landing, the wood splits and the prop is trash. It becomes expensive!
I don't buy props based on how well they survive ground-strikes. I buy them based on how well they match the airframe & powerplant, flying-style, and the particular flight-conditions. (I also buy my aircraft based on their flight-performance, build-quality, and scale appearance. Crash-worthiness isn't even a consideration.) I've been running the same Vox 13x6.5, 13x4, and 12x7 on my PA Extra 260 for 4 years so far. I also have a few glow-powered ships that are running wood props that are over 20 years old.

I usually have a selection of props for each of my planes. I typically choose a general-purpose prop, along with 2 or 3 props that are optimized for certain types of flying. The low rotational mass of the Vox props provides lightning-quick throttle-response on these electrics, and their high efficiency provides higher thrust at lower current. XOAR props are also excellent performers, but I only have experience with their larger laminated props. I have yet to try their electric props, but I expect they will also be stellar performers.

Speaking of the Bandit - I've been thinking about putting one together for the upcoming season. From what I've seen, it ticks all of the boxes for my application.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Feb 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
How much fun can that be? You gotta crash or you ain't learnin. Then you break some props.
Feb 07, 2013, 06:19 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
I switched the prop on my 3dhs 48" epp to xoar pjn 14x7 and never looked back. Made a very noticable difference from an apc-e 14x7 - quicker spool up makes for easier handling in high alpha/hover and nicer response in general. Even takeoff seemed to be quicker for a given throttle applicaiton.

I do break them occasionally in circumstances that an apc would survive. But I'm OK with that - flying with the xoar is enough better than the apc that I'm willing to buy a few more props. Plus an artistically fractured prop sitting on my cabinet makes an interesting conversation piece at work

Turbo - I have yet to try vox or falcon, I've seen hints that they are at least as good as xoar and maybe a tad more accurately balanced.
Feb 07, 2013, 06:51 PM
Fly Every Day
Had maiden flight this morning, 70 degrees and light winds. This is an incredible plane. I can't believe how well it flies with so little effort. It almost feels like I am cheating.
Feb 07, 2013, 07:06 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
I got 4 more flights on this plane today! It's so much fun!
Feb 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly
How much fun can that be? You gotta crash or you ain't learnin. Then you break some props.
Bobly,

I don't buy that theory. Never have, never will. Neither did my instructor, nor do the writers for RCM buy it. The giant-scale guys with whom I fly don't buy it, either, nor do the pattern guys, the scale guys, or the warbird guys. There is certainly no more reason to crash an RC plane when learning aerobatics than there is to crash a full-scale plane when learning aerobatics.

Joel
Feb 07, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Bobly,

I don't buy that theory. Never have, never will. Neither did my instructor, nor do the writers for RCM buy it. The giant-scale guys with whom I fly don't buy it, either, nor do the pattern guys, the scale guys, or the warbird guys. There is certainly no more reason to crash an RC plane when learning aerobatics than there is to crash a full-scale plane when learning aerobatics.

Joel
I'm with you Joel.

Quick Reply