Thread Tools
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
turboparker is offline
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Joel,

It's even cooler to see what the technology enable a schlepp like me to do. I've never flown 3D, ever. After 2 packs I was harriering around. A couple more packs and I was hovering. A couple more and I was doing waterfalls and not just harriering, but accurately harriering around the field wherever I wanted to place the Visionaire. This is going to open up 3D flight for a whole group of new pilots, starting with me!
Hi Dave! How are things? Looks like you guys have been burning the midnight oil again over in the 'Skunkworks'!

So, when do we get to see the video?

My primary interest in the system is wind-handling. I have found a new pastime with the Beast 3D that I call 'wind-surfing', in which I fly stationary aerobatics & such in high winds. I get an absolute kick out of it! If you're interested, check out this clip: Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc

I'm hoping that the AR635 rx will allow me to have fun flying larger planes in even more wind. Have any of your guys wind-surfed the VisionAire?

Joel
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:37 PM
AeroKen is offline
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
I'm sold on the idea that this helps with wind, and does all kinds of wonderful things. But I haven't seen the following mentioned as things it can do, and they aren't shown in the videos:
Can this plane:
- do a flat spin (upright and inverted)?
- do a knife edge spin?
- do a blender?
- do a poptop?
- do tumbles?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:40 PM
P.I.Engineer is offline
Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Registered User
P.I.Engineer's Avatar
I flew it this morning, it will do all that was listed above, the videos do it no justice, its really nice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Fish99 is offline
Find More Posts by Fish99
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Thanks for the posts Dave, great to hear it is shipping shortly. My LHS is a partner so we will have up here North of the 49th shortly and I CAN'T WAIT to get one of these.

I get a kick out of folks who are worried that the plane will be "too easy" to fly 3D with. Guess I should toss out my PA Extra 260 and the purpose built 3D ships we all own as they are too much of an improvement over lesser sport aerobatic planes. Likewise, take off the SFG's and VG's and get rid of computer radios with expo and multiple rates / mixes as it makes it too easy, etc. LOL

Just kidding of course. To each his own, but I for one embrace technology and LOVE better flying aircraft. I do understand how people can and do derive satisfaction from aquiring the skills needed to fly older tech planes on older tech equipment, just don't share that need myself. I just want to fly a great flying plane that allows me to learn and perform 3D flying stunts in the park by our house. This looks like JUST the ticket!

Marlin
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
windrnone is offline
Find More Posts by windrnone
lownslow
windrnone's Avatar
I too want wind-proof aircraft, is why I own a stryker, put a gyro and pwr 10 in my T-28, and put a pwr 10 in my Wildcat, all of em love the wind !!!!!

Actually am a windsurfer, when blowing over 20 I am on the water !!!!

ed
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:23 PM
AeroKen is offline
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
I flew it this morning, it will do all that was listed above, the videos do it no justice, its really nice.
Excellent! I might just have to get one of these puppies.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
Aviefly is offline
Find More Posts by Aviefly
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
I flew it this morning, it will do all that was listed above, the videos do it no justice, its really nice.
Did you get a video of it doing all of the above?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:35 PM
P.I.Engineer is offline
Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Registered User
P.I.Engineer's Avatar
i didn't, but i told the guy who had it that Horizon needs to make a new video. I too thought it was nothing special till i flew it.

The gyro makes the ailerons so precise and crisp. The tail surfaces have tons of throw. Hovers at a bit over mid stick.

I was looking at getting a 3dhs edge, but now i'm thinking of building up one of these, without the rx since i don't fly spektrum.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Bloosee is offline
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
Bloosee's Avatar
I think the "wind proof" idea is the pretty much the only selling point for me. But given that we don't get that much wind here and this plane is very expensive, chances aren't good I'll have one, but you never know. I'll follow people reports closely.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
Aviefly is offline
Find More Posts by Aviefly
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
i didn't, but i told the guy who had it that Horizon needs to make a new video. I too thought it was nothing special till i flew it.

The gyro makes the ailerons so precise and crisp. The tail surfaces have tons of throw. Hovers at a bit over mid stick.

I was looking at getting a 3dhs edge, but now i'm thinking of building up one of these, without the rx since i don't fly spektrum.
You should have asked him for another go with the gyro's turned off if your planning one without the fancy rx. It would be interesting to hear what it's like without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I think the "wind proof" idea is the pretty much the only selling point for me. But given that we don't get that much wind here and this plane is very expensive, chances aren't good I'll have one, but you never know. I'll follow people reports closely.
No wind where you live. Mmmm mental note to self,,, must move to San Diego
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:16 PM
RealGambler is offline
Find More Posts by RealGambler
Way to many airplanes!
I want to see rolling circles (I hope Turnem get one!), lot's of KE and some KE loops. Get the videos going guys!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:21 PM
_Colton_ is offline
Find More Posts by _Colton_
Team HH/EF/CC/DA/SC/PB
_Colton_'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Dave! How are things? Looks like you guys have been burning the midnight oil again over in the 'Skunkworks'!

So, when do we get to see the video?

My primary interest in the system is wind-handling. I have found a new pastime with the Beast 3D that I call 'wind-surfing', in which I fly stationary aerobatics & such in high winds. I get an absolute kick out of it! If you're interested, check out this clip: Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc

I'm hoping that the AR635 rx will allow me to have fun flying larger planes in even more wind. Have any of your guys wind-surfed the VisionAire?

Joel

Knowing how much you like wind surfing your going to have a blast with this plane Joel. During a day of testing over the summer I took the plane out on lunch break in wind I wouldn't have even wanted to measure. It was about 2/3 throttle in level flight at zero airspeed. Stationary rolling harriers were backing up a little at full throttle. It was a blast! I actually did not get a chance to fly the plane in totally calm conditions until about my 20th flight on the aircraft and it's even more fun then.

As for the functionality of this plane. Take my word on it or not this bird will do whatever asked. It can get just as loose as anything else I've flown with an amount of stability/reliability that I have felt with no other plane. I have yet to be surprised by it slipping out of anything or over rotating where it shouldn't.

I look forward to seeing video's of people flying this plane soon. Both Beginners and Pro's
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
P.I.Engineer is offline
Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Registered User
P.I.Engineer's Avatar
i just read how to change the gain, i'll see he'll let me turn it off next time i see him.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
3drcparts is offline
Find More Posts by 3drcparts
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
I think this is the same room at the AMA expo, 2 years go when AJ flew the 42" slick, I thought he visionaire would have been able to keep up
Andrew Jesky flies a 42" Slick indoors at the 2011 AMA Expo (3 min 32 sec)

.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
Doug Cronkhite is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
TimeShare
Doug Cronkhite's Avatar
I think Quique's flight was more to show how incredibly stable the VisionAire is post-stall, in order to calm people's nerves about learning to fly 3D. For lack of a better word, the Slick 42" is just a different 'animal'


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone's New Habu 2 EDF ChuckTseeker Foamy EDFs 5037 Oct 31, 2016 09:05 PM
For Sale New Parkzone S.E.5a w/ AR600 Rx - LPU Kevinfred Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 12, 2012 01:26 AM
Sold New Parkzone S.E.5a w/ AR600 Rx - LPU Kevinfred Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jun 23, 2012 10:10 AM