Sep 02, 2019, 07:01 PM

Shhh!

How 'bout the old rattail needle file trick?? (Just a thought)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 09:08 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by N114RV
How 'bout the old rattail needle file trick?? (Just a thought)
That might be an option to adjust.

I figured out my problem. I was using the broken part as a pattern and rotating it 90 degrees to move a non busted ear to trace and mark the holes Where the ear was broken off. Well the original pattern was not exactly correctly symmetrical. Darn close but it wasnít.

The rat tailed jewelers file is probably the most sane route.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:21 PM
Out Standing In The Field

Hellcat - Part Deaux

Got the replacement Hellcat together (finally!) and maidened.

First, I epoxied over the lite ply motor mount inside and out. It's NOT strong, and Tower doesn't sell a replacement mount - only the complete fuse, at $45, and was the primary reason I purchased a complete plane rather than fix my previous model. I trimmed the bottom extension off the back of the rudder that held the tailwheel "bracket" - it just drags during landings and stresses the rudder hinge for no reason.

I modified my previous hi-viz position markings a bit, by using Duck brand "Citrus" colored tape on the wingtips instead of the white primer and ACE Hardware Flouro yellow. I outlined the yellow tape with stripes of Duck orange, as well as the wing LE, hstab & vstab tips. It really pops in the sun, and works great for visibility and orientation. (Scale, schmale - if I can't see it, I can't fly it). ACE fluoro yellow on the cowling, then 3 coats of Minwax water based satin poly for the entire plane.

A big difference between V1 & V2 was the CG, as delivered. V1 required (nay, demanded) 3/4 oz of lead in the nose cowling to balance at 3" back from the wing LE (the furthest rearward CG recommended by Tower). I expected this, and dutifully installed the weight in the cowling and it was massively nose heavy. I had to remove the weight, and then move the (same 2200mah 3S) battery back to balance correctly. Very surprising. I installed my balanced" East Coast" 10x8e Master Airscrew prop, and put the 3-blader in my spare props box.

Regardless, the maiden went extremely well. I'd set the travels per the manual, and it required only a couple clicks of "up" trim. The (belly) landing was slow and as perfect as the best of my many previous landings with V1. I boosted the aileron travel back to 100% (approximately 23mm, over twice the recommended max) and launched again. The rolls were much faster, the best of any of the Tower warbirds. After another great landing, I'm happy to have one of my very favorite planes back again!!
Oct 03, 2019, 02:53 PM
After a few years and countless flights on my Hellcat, the stock motor finally went poof midflight and seized.. while inverted on a dive. I rolled back over, lined up diagonal on the field and landed with a tailwind (thank goodness it was this plane, as it is one of the most forgiving aircraft to land). The Hellcat settled on the turf, just 4-5 feet away from the small 3.5' fence perimeter of the field. I got super lucky.

When I tried to throttle the motor, it made a bit more poof, a little smoke coming through the cowl and thats when I knew that the motor was done for. Turning the prop by hand felt very rough and difficult on the magnets.. not smooth like it used to be. I was flying with a Pulse 4S 2250mAh 45C, MAS 10x7x3 Prop, and Skypower 60-Amp ESC with 6-Amp SBEC. This has been my setup for the past 2 years and have had no issues until just now.

I was going to try and order a replacement motor, but Tower Hobbies is backordered on the stock 30-35-1000Kv motor that it comes with. Does anyone know of any other alternative powerplants that can replace the stock motor in performance (comparable or better), that will fit the cowl? 3S setup is fine, but 4S is preferred.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Oct 03, 2019 at 03:11 PM.
Oct 04, 2019, 07:29 AM
Glad you got her back down safely! Take a look at the Tower Hobbies Zero to see if the motor is the same and if it is available. When I wanted a prop, I noticed that the Hellcat prop was on backorder. I messaged Tower and they said to look at the Zero prop as it was the exact same and in stock. Same part number and everything. No idea why the prop said backorder for the Hellcat and in stock for the Zero. It is worth a shot if you are seeing the Hellcat motor on backorder.
Oct 05, 2019, 11:19 PM
Out Standing In The Field
^For the helluvit, I looked at all the different listings for that motor, and they all are "on order".
I also noticed that the Flyzone Extra 300 airplane isn't listed anymore, but some parts for it are, among them the same motor, "on order", and $30 instead of $20 like the others.
In the past I'd noticed that the same motor was priced differently as replacements for different models.
Oct 06, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
Glad you got her back down safely! Take a look at the Tower Hobbies Zero to see if the motor is the same and if it is available. When I wanted a prop, I noticed that the Hellcat prop was on backorder. I messaged Tower and they said to look at the Zero prop as it was the exact same and in stock. Same part number and everything. No idea why the prop said backorder for the Hellcat and in stock for the Zero. It is worth a shot if you are seeing the Hellcat motor on backorder.
I didnít even know that they made a Zero! Unfortunately it doesnít appear to be available anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
^For the helluvit, I looked at all the different listings for that motor, and they all are "on order".
I also noticed that the Flyzone Extra 300 airplane isn't listed anymore, but some parts for it are, among them the same motor, "on order", and $30 instead of $20 like the others.
In the past I'd noticed that the same motor was priced differently as replacements for different models.
Yeah it seems like whoever went through the internet site linked everything to that one motor, and itís out of stock.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:32 PM
I didn't know about the Zero until customer service sent me the link for the prop. This was last summer, so not shocked the Zero is gone by now. It seems people are moving away from warbirds and into bush planes. My bush plane is probably the first to go if I had to sell something.
Oct 20, 2019, 06:53 PM

Plastic tail wheel fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam
Drats. It is another plastic tail assembly
Of course the plastic wheel steering arm broke before I ever flew it. Just a terrible design. Actually the design is not the problem but rather the wimpy plastic steering arm that always breaks.

Here's a fix that uses the existing mount, wheel and wire. For parts you need a small dubro wheel collar that fits the formed wire tailwheel assembly, a 4-40 threaded metal pushrod, a short 2-56 threaded servo mounting screw, a 4-40 locknut. For tools you need a 4-40 threading tap , a pair of pliers and a pair of wire cutters.
Remove the attach screw holding the plastic retainer bracket that retains the wire assembly. Pull out the wire with the wheel attached. Remove the plastic collar and arm assembly. It will slide off the wire and out of the foam rudder.

Remove the set screw from the dubro wheel collar and recut threads using the tap. (I would rather have used a 2-56 push rod but the set screw threads are too large.)

Thread the locknut onto the threaded rod. Slide the wheel collar onto the wire assembly. Using the pushrod for the set screw, lock the collar on to the wire shaft just like the plastic one was attached. Lock it in place with the lock nut. Temporary fit the wire assembly back into the plastic tailwheel bracket mounted on the plane. Line up the shaft of the pushrod pointing straight back to the rudder just like the plastic one. Mark the pushrod to locate the 90 degree bend location. The original plastic steering arm slid into a plastic sleeve mounted in the foam rudder but the 4-40 rod is too large. I glued a length of pushrod tube just aft of the old one. Put your mark at the new location. Pull the assembly out and use the pliers to bend the pushrod wire straight up so it will go straight up into the foam rudder. Using the wire cutter snip off the pushrod to leave enough to secure into the foam. I made mine about 3/4 inch long. Push a piece of the leftover pushrod into the foam where you marked it.

Side the wire assembly back into the plastic mount along with the foam rudder.

Secure the new assembly into the plastic mount using retainer bracket using the servo mounting screw. Done.
Give it a try and I think you will be pleased with the results.
Last edited by rhomco; Oct 20, 2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add pic.

Quick Reply