Jan 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
Silly Old Fart
Well done Bob on posting this new page for discussion. I hope it progresses in the manner you hope for.

To assist I have posted here a link to the early history of the EC12 class in Australia as presented by historian sailor and all around good guy Stephen Crewes. It is well worth a read if you should share our interest. Best wishes for the future. IanHB

http://www.radiosailing.org.au/our%2...tted/index.htm
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
Bob

Here is a Crazy thought...

Has anybody ever thought of bringing together ALL of the 12M classes in Australia & sail under a single fleet.

The Aus II & Natic 12 along with the EC12 Hulls & now the new IE12 ALL use the same Rig layout so why couldn't they compete on a even footing.

All that would be required is a Minimum Weight & that would even up the competition.

Same Sail Power to drive the same weight... Maybe even consider the inclusion of the J Boats (Ranger & Canterbury)

Then its down to design & skipper. I think you would find a lot more involement instead of a Break Up & Diluting of Numbers..

Worst comes to worst then a small Hanicap/Rating could be applied against each design..

I bet you would get quite a few willing to give this a go even if it was just a social experiment, away from all the argy bargy politics...

Cheers

John
Jan 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
Bob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHB.
Well done Bob on posting this new page for discussion. I hope it progresses in the manner you hope for.

To assist I have posted here a link to the early history of the EC12 class in Australia as presented by historian sailor and all around good guy Stephen Crewes. It is well worth a read if you should share our interest. Best wishes for the future. IanHB
Hello and welcome Ian,

Thanks for the link to Steve's article, I do have a copy but as you can understand, there are a number of missing pieces. Thanks to yourself, Rod Liddy, Barron Bremer and Rod Carr we have gained a significant amount to compile a full history. We would be grateful for your views and experience gained during the 1986 World event held in Brisbane, when you have the time.

I will be visiting with Steve soon and hope to obtain a little more information from his treasure chest of model yachting history. Steve is still out and about sailing a number of RC yachts from his vast collection from lasers to Marblehead and everything in between. While Steve's progress following a stroke, has been slow and frustrating (impaired speech) this hasn't deterred his enthusiasm for Model Yachting one iota, in fact I think it has made him more determined than ever. I'll be happy to pass on your regards.

Thank you again and we look forward to your participation in future discussions.

Regards,

Bob
Jan 10, 2013, 02:11 AM
Bob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.
Bob

Here is a Crazy thought...

Has anybody ever thought of bringing together ALL of the 12M classes in Australia & sail under a single fleet.

The Aus II & Natic 12 along with the EC12 Hulls & now the new IE12 ALL use the same Rig layout so why couldn't they compete on a even footing.

All that would be required is a Minimum Weight & that would even up the competition.

Same Sail Power to drive the same weight... Maybe even consider the inclusion of the J Boats (Ranger & Canterbury)
G'day John,

Hope you are managing the heat in WA; I wish you would keep it in your state and not share with the rest of the country.

Your comments are not that crazy as we have been discussing the same idea and hope to trial a social program during the year. This would be a good opportunity to get back to grass roots and enjoy sailing without the BS politics and over inflated ego's.

I'll keep you posted on future developments.

Stay cool, be safe and stay away from bush fires.

Regards,

Bob
Jan 10, 2013, 05:17 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking50
G'day John,

Hope you are managing the heat in WA; I wish you would keep it in your state and not share with the rest of the country.

Your comments are not that crazy as we have been discussing the same idea and hope to trial a social program during the year.

Bob

Keep it in the State.. NEVER.. Share with THe World...

Inevitably Lack of Numbers is always the problem.. Finding a way to Include & Encourage involvement is the way of the Future..

Mixed Fleets of Similar Design/Era/Origin will be the best way to keep things moving forward.

Individual Classes can have their Championships Like vs Like.. But then come together for an Open Regata to find the Overall 12M Champ...

Imagine That
Jan 10, 2013, 07:40 PM
Bob
Thread OP
G'day John,

The emphasis will be focused on establishing camaraderie via a social events program and we'll see what develops after that.

Bob.
Jan 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
Bob
Thread OP
Steve's Cabin:

Steve has advised he and his good mate Rob are in the process of establishing a new club "Australian 12 Metre Group"; while it is early days, interest is growing at an encouraging rate.

As reported in a previous post, the club will operate at Lake Woodcroft. The area includes the regular park amenities, drinking water, toilets, covered table/seating and plenty of shade.

For those interested in the 12 metre class, please do not hesitate in contacting Steve: shcrewes@bigpond.net.au

Best Regards,

from Steve.
Jan 10, 2013, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Bob

Do you know of anybody that has the Australia II from Victor Models.

http://www.victor-model.com/products/australia-II

Any reviews on the overall Finish & Performance of the model..

Having been around when AUS 2 was built in the Cottesloe Shed (alongside Challenge 12 for Vic Syndicate), there is always good interest in the history of the Boat over here.. Challenge 12 & Aust 2 were almost identical except only one had the winged Keel (aka Darth Vader)...

Pretty Sure The original Tank Test Model is here in the Maratime Museum @ Fremantle.. Have to get some updated photos..

Cheers

John
Last edited by waboats; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Bob
Thread OP
John,

Interesting comments, you have reminded me that Alf Willoughby also built a mould for "Challenge 12" and produced two complete replicas; one for Ben Lexcen and the other, along with the mould, are still in his shed.

The only problem is scale, it is a monster size and not compatible with the current RC Australia II's and EC12's. It reminds me of the American J class in size comparison. Big, heavy and needs three men and a dog to lift the thing.

I'll investigate the Victor Models Australia II, I believe there are a few sailing in Sydney. If they are similar to the Soling One Metre from Victor Models, it will be a good investment. The Soling is a delight to sail and will perform well in most ranges of wind velocity.

Bob.
Jan 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
Viking, I own current one of Victor Models, Australia II. By inport them is a problem.It sail like a Soling one metre. Its got a sail on it Soling one Metre rig.

Steve
Jan 11, 2013, 12:40 AM
Victor Models are no longer imported into australia (have recently checked). The last Australia II I saw was on ebay (back in Sept. last year) and it sold for $100.00 - now spewing I didn't know at the time, it was listed as surplus stock from the seller.

I am actually waiting on a reply form Victor Models about postage costs on the Australia II & cup class yachts and a couple of their smaller offerings. They have said they will sell and ship to australia - so I'll post when (if??) they reply on the shipping cost (I know it ain't going to be pretty though).
Jan 11, 2013, 12:51 AM
Suspended Account
Bob

Just for you Victorians...

Challenge 12 - 1983.wmv (2 min 41 sec)

Attached Picture...

Is that a Model I see in the Background.

The Yacht alongside is Jon Sanders & Parry Endeavour

http://john.curtin.edu.au/endeavour/...avigation.html

Now that is a Feat of Real Seamanship..

BTW...

40th Anniversary end of Vietnam War for Aussie Troops... Hope the day sees you in good spirits..

Cheers

John
Last edited by waboats; Jan 11, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
Jan 11, 2013, 10:45 PM
Silly Old Fart
And here they are. Challenge 12 and Australia II as large models. If Alf still has these they would make magnificent R/C sailing models. I negotiated a very good deal with him some years ago to purchase both hulls but the logistics of shipping them to NZL was just too hard and expensive.
Jan 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
Silly Old Fart
Some detail shots of the cockpits....
Jan 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
Bob
Thread OP
Many thanks Ian,
The photo's sure bring back fond memories of our vist with Alf quite a few years ago.

Regards,
Bob

Quick Reply