Australian 12 Metre Enthusiasts - Page 46 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 10, 2017, 10:58 AM
First time in the water for US 26 Courageous today. I didn't have enough lead, but filled the hull with water to get close to the correct waterline.

Looks pretty cool.

//Lars
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2017, 03:22 PM
Used one of the hulls to pour plaster down the keel, to form a plug for my lead. Hope to remove it tomorrow if it's dry enough. Pictures to come tomorrow.
Last edited by larsli68; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Sep 25, 2017, 02:29 PM
I managed to get sick with a bad cold. I finally today made a 2 piece plaster mold of the plaster cast I made earlier last week. It will dry until tomorrow and then I will add more plaster on the outside for strength and leave it to dry for a couple of weeks before I dare to pour lead in it. 20kg of lead needs a strong mold. I will most likely add fiberglass outside the plaster for strength and then bury it in sand when it is time to do the lead pour.

//Lars
Sep 25, 2017, 02:48 PM
Took a picture. Not much to see...
Sep 26, 2017, 11:18 AM
Have you sailed Kookaburra II yet? I can't wait to see some pictures and video.
The mold is drying really slow. I will have to wait a couple of weeks until I can pour the lead. During the winter I will make a concrete mold allowing me to cast 2 or 3 more keels for Courageous.

//Lars
Oct 11, 2017, 02:58 PM
I tried pouring a keel tonight... I think the mold bulged out and the keel ended up being to wide and way too heavy. I did strengthen the plaster with wood, but 20+ kg is a lot... I have a concrete mold that I will allow to dry for another couple of weeks, before I pour a new keel in it. This keel ended up weighing 26 kg... Should be around 20kg... The concrete mold will create a more accurate keel that fits inside the hull.
Oct 11, 2017, 04:16 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict
Hi Lars

In Australia, the Nautic 12 was a boat which was based on Australia II. It was derived from another model yacht (the "A2") which was designed with some assistance from Ben Lexcen. It looked like a lovely boat and there was talk about it being established as a sailing class (and even attempting to harmonise the A2 and Nautic 12 under one set of class rules). Unfortunately it didn't progress much beyond being sailed by a few diehard enthusiasts in Australia and New Zealand.

The boats are about the same size as an East Coast 12 and it was suggested that they could sail with East Coast 12s during club sailing days.

The first attached image is a Nautic 12, the second is an A2. I don't think either are in production anymore, sadly.

The hull and keel were part of the same fibreglass shell, much as you are doing with Courageous.

I saw talk that these boats were balllasted by floating the hull in cold water, then slowly and carefully pouring the molten lead directly into the hull. Apparently the cold water kept the fibreglass cold enough to stop it from being damaged.

Maybe it's worth a try on one of your first hulls?

Cheers!

Karl
Last edited by Karlthevet; Oct 11, 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Oct 12, 2017, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlthevet
Hi Lars

In Australia, the Nautic 12 was a boat which was based on Australia II. It was derived from another model yacht (the "A2") which was designed with some assistance from Ben Lexcen. It looked like a lovely boat and there was talk about it being established as a sailing class (and even attempting to harmonise the A2 and Nautic 12 under one set of class rules). Unfortunately it didn't progress much beyond being sailed by a few diehard enthusiasts in Australia and New Zealand.

The boats are about the same size as an East Coast 12 and it was suggested that they could sail with East Coast 12s during club sailing days.

The first attached image is a Nautic 12, the second is an A2. I don't think either are in production anymore, sadly.

The hull and keel were part of the same fibreglass shell, much as you are doing with Courageous.

I saw talk that these boats were balllasted by floating the hull in cold water, then slowly and carefully pouring the molten lead directly into the hull. Apparently the cold water kept the fibreglass cold enough to stop it from being damaged.

Maybe it's worth a try on one of your first hulls?

Cheers!

Karl
Hello Karl,

I did try that on one of my hulls. I think maybe if I did it in the winter, or in several pours it would work. I made pretty thin hulls, about 1mm thick, and the weight from the keel distorted the hull before I could finish the pour. I'm fond of light hulls, heavy keels, but I might have to try making a hull that is a bit heavier, and try the lead pour again, with colder water. Winter is coming my way, I could let the keel freeze in a block of ice in January. I will measure the lead tonight. I came back from a very long business trip yesterday, and did the lead pour to clear my mind. My hopes are with the concrete mold.

Thanks for your input, I will re-visit the lead in the hull, but do it differently next time. Colder water and pour in three or four different pours, with cooling time in between.

//Lars
Oct 12, 2017, 04:50 PM

A2 RC Yacht

Hi Lars

All the best with the pour - hope it goes well.

It's interesting to note that these boats are not scale models of Australia II - the hulls were designed with RC yachting conditions in mind with Ben Lexcen's help and based on some of his tank test models but somewhat modified. Ben was also a keen model yacht sailor - as a kid that's how he got interested in sailboats to start with.

Here's another A2 yacht tricked up to look like Australia II.

Cheers!

Karl
Oct 12, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlthevet
Hi Lars

All the best with the pour - hope it goes well.

It's interesting to note that these boats are not scale models of Australia II - the hulls were designed with RC yachting conditions in mind with Ben Lexcen's help and based on some of his tank test models but somewhat modified. Ben was also a keen model yacht sailor - as a kid that's how he got interested in sailboats to start with.

Here's another A2 yacht tricked up to look like Australia II.

Cheers!

Karl
Thanks Karl!
I looked at these 12's before I built Australia II. I never could find anyone to sell me a hull. The closest I got was missing an add with a couple of years...
I'm waiting for the keel mold (concrete) to dry, and will pour a keel in it. In the meantime I'm finishing up the bathroom...

Have a great weekend everyone in this forum

//Lars
Oct 13, 2017, 05:16 AM
Hi Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsli68
Thanks Karl!
I looked at these 12's before I built Australia II. I never could find anyone to sell me a hull. The closest I got was missing an add with a couple of years...
I'm waiting for the keel mold (concrete) to dry, and will pour a keel in it. In the meantime I'm finishing up the bathroom...

Have a great weekend everyone in this forum

//Lars
The A2 molds are somewhere in Canberra. I know the person who builds them. Even though he no longer produces them, I'm sure that he would do some on order.

The Nautic 12 molds are in New Zealand. I've no idea who has them.

If you are a modeller (i.e. you want to build and sail mini-replicas as an end in itself) as opposed to a RC yacht racer, these boats are probably not a good choice. As said before, they are not scale models - they are designed to sail under RC yacht conditions and be raced against each other as a "one design". There was a Nautic 12 class association set up in Australia but I'm not sure it is still active.

I still think it's a great shame that they didn't really take off as a racing class - by all accounts they are a beautiful boat to sail.

You have a great weekend too!

Karl
Oct 13, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks Karl,

Interesting information! I for a while thought that the A2 and the Nautic 12 was the same boat. Cool to find out they are not.

I poured a keel in my concrete mold tonight. Worked fine. I also took the opportunity and made some lead ingots from the remaining lead.
I need to find some more lead soon... I still have some for a couple of more boats.

I have had a hectic work week, and now I will relax and wait for the lead to cool off. I will cool off with a beer in the meantime...

//Lars
Oct 13, 2017, 04:05 PM
Quote:
The A2 molds are somewhere in Canberra. I know the person who builds them. Even though he no longer produces them, I'm sure that he would do some on order.
There are 2 sets of moulds for the A2 one of which is still in Canberra. The other set of moulds is now owned by me and I can produce a set of mouldings for anyone who may be want one. If you are interested I can be contacted at kevin@hobbywerx.com.au. A set of mouldings comprises hull, deck, rudder and hatch cover.
There some more details and photos of the A2 on the early pages of this thread.
Oct 14, 2017, 12:46 AM
Hi All,

Need some help with this one, anyone know who made it? was a kit from the 80's, just found it at my Mums from when i was a boy.
Oct 14, 2017, 01:22 AM
Nice model!

I have never seen it before. Probably something that was not sold in Sweden, and pre Internet.

Does it have a lead keel so you can sail it?

//Lars