Australian 12 Metre Enthusiasts - Page 44 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2017, 06:55 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
She needs a crew!
Or a recording of the crew, grinding winches, Ted Turner yelling, "Trim the main!, trim the main!" Nice stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2017, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
Or a recording of the crew, grinding winches, Ted Turner yelling, "Trim the main!, trim the main!" Nice stuff.
Higher and faster? "'It's going to be a long summer..."

Ted Turner at the helm of Mariner.

Lars
Aug 05, 2017, 04:41 AM
Surface glass applied early this morning. 2 hours later I laid 3 layers of 450g/m2 fiberglass. Two more of those tomorrow, and the mold will be ready to open on Monday. Monday is my last day of vacation. I will spend the remainder of the week to wet sand the mold and polish to mirror finish.

//Lars
Aug 05, 2017, 06:38 AM

Beautiful

It never gets old.....
Aug 05, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derusha
It never gets old.....
Thanks,

Back at it tomorrow. Making a mold takes a lot of time. Now I hope the mold turns out OK... I'm a bit nervous.

//Lars
Aug 05, 2017, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsli68
Thanks,

Back at it tomorrow. Making a mold takes a lot of time. Now I hope the mold turns out OK... I'm a bit nervous.

//Lars
Did you use P.V.A.? Parting protective additional agent?

I use it for the first 10 pulls.

Dean
Aug 05, 2017, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derusha
Did you use P.V.A.? Parting protective additional agent?

I use it for the first 10 pulls.

Dean
We used pva mold release for the last deck flange piece. The hull is treated with a UK mold release agent that I unfortunately don't remember the name of.

It will be very exciting on Monday opening the mold (hopefully... )

//Lars
Aug 07, 2017, 10:01 AM
Cracked open the mold today. One side released perfectly and the other side needed some elbow grease.
Feels good. More work tomorrow.

//Lars
Aug 12, 2017, 03:19 PM
Two coats of bees wax applied
Aug 13, 2017, 03:29 AM
Nice work.
I can imagine you feel proud about that mold.
It looks fantastic
Keep it up.

//Hasse.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse.69
Nice work.
I can imagine you feel proud about that mold.
It looks fantastic
Keep it up.

//Hasse.
Thanks,

It is applying wax day today. Application no 8 to go on soon. I plan 10 or 11 coats before I can paint gel coat

//Lars
Aug 13, 2017, 02:37 PM
Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Will try to clean cut the two halves with a razor blade tonight, and join the two halves tomorrow.

I used chop stranded mat for this prototype hull. I have plans to use twill mat for the next hull.

//Lars
Aug 14, 2017, 08:18 AM
First hull out of the mold. No stern or deck flange yet, but that will come. Some gel coat imperfections due to me not waiting long enough for it to harden... But I'm pretty happy to see that the mold produce a nice looking boat. US 26 Courageous! I will clean the mold, wax it again a couple of times, and paint gel coat that I allow to harden until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will produce a hull with 200 g/m2 twill woven fiber instead.

//Lars
Aug 15, 2017, 03:46 PM
Hull no 2 in the works. This will be completed with deck flange and stern.
//Lars
Aug 15, 2017, 06:08 PM

Very nice Lars

Good progress!