Australian 12 Metre Enthusiasts - Page 42 - RC Groups
Jul 02, 2017, 10:03 AM
Went sailing with a repaired Australia II today. Everything worked fine, and it was a beautiful afternoon. No video... something went wrong...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2017, 11:46 AM
I'm back working on Courageous again. I cut the plug off the building beam last night. Working on cutting the frames flat (deck) and will add filler tomorrow to create a nice flat deck. I will post pictures when the plug/deck looks a little bit better . Right now it looks pretty rough.

//Lars
Jul 10, 2017, 04:28 PM
Sanded Courageous stem tonight. Waiting for the deck to dry. Will sand the deck and keep checking dimensions tomorrow.
Jul 13, 2017, 06:30 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict
Hi Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsli68

Thanks for cool stories. I'm very interested in 12's and if you have pictures, I collect them.
Really cool. I have been sanding and added filler and sanding today. Looks the same...
Will hopefully post more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your 12 meter stories. Really cool to read!

//Lars
Your Courageous model is coming along nicely.

I think the 1977 version was the best that she was - for me that was the classic Courageous.

Part of her modifications (from her 1974 version) were that the rudder post was moved forward (to shorten her waterline to compensate for the weight discrepancy that was discovered when Ted Turner bought her from the syndicate headed by Robert McCullough) and the waterline crease was removed. The bottom of the keel was reshaped too (it used to have a round bottom edge but this was changed to a flat panel on either side to a sharp bottom edge). The upper edges of these panels form a sort of a chine on the keel sides.

She also campaigned in the defender selection series for NYYC's 1983 America's Cup defense - I believe her skipper was John Kolius for that series. In 1983 she had a modified transom - cut away and sloped much like Australia II's.

She was sold on to a syndicate headed by Len Green with Peter Isler, then Dave Vietor as her skipper for the run up to the 1987 America's Cup challenge. She had numerous radical keel changes to try to bring her up to speed with her more modern sisters. Although she came 3rd in the 12 Metre World Championships in Fremantle, she never got far in the challenger selection series due to a combination of lack of funding and inconsistent crewing.

For a while she was made available to an Australian skipper (Ron Packer) and crew. We got to sail her a few times - it was clear that she was not in the best state of maintenance. All the deck gear appeared to be pretty much from her 1977/1983 campaigns.

She wound up being impounded, then was eventually shipped back to America where she languished for a while before being bought by a Newport based group. She was then sold to a group of America's Cup veteran sailors. They have since restored her totally to her 1977 configuration (the original keel had been kept in storage somewhere). She now also has a stripe and her name down each side. She is still being maintained and sailed as a racing 12 Metre.

I've attached a photo of Southern Cross as she appears nowadays. It's a bit grainy - you would probably get better pictures by googling for her and getting onto the various websites that handle her charter activities.

Cheers!

Karl
Jul 14, 2017, 11:12 AM
Thanks Karl!
I plan to work on the plug tonight. I need to make a stand for it too.
The weather is gorgeous here in Sweden. I can stand outside with the sanding, which is nice.

Thanks again for the stories! Great to read! Please keep them coming!

//Lars
Jul 16, 2017, 12:23 PM
Worked some more on Courageous tonight.
Sharpened up the bustle area. Keel and bow to be fine tuned.
Jul 20, 2017, 01:45 PM
Courageous will be painted with polyester paint tomorrow. Sanded 4 hours last night, and 6 hours today. Sharpened up the keel and made the boat smooth. Looking forward to the mold making. My buddy has a fiberglass company. I got to use his facilities while it is summer, and not much going on in his shop

//Lars
Jul 20, 2017, 06:50 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict
Hi Lars

She's coming along nicely.

Are you going to be putting in the chine and flat panels at the bottom of the keel that Courageous had in 1977?

Cheers!

Karl
Jul 20, 2017, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlthevet
Hi Lars

She's coming along nicely.

Are you going to be putting in the chine and flat panels at the bottom of the keel that Courageous had in 1977?

Cheers!

Karl
I worked on them yesterday. will look at the plug this morning and add more filler if I'm not happy with it

//Lars
Jul 21, 2017, 03:55 AM
Polyester paint on the plug this morning. Will wet-sand it tomorrow. Will start the mold making on Monday.

If everything goes to plan, I will make the first hull within a couple of weeks!

//Lars
Yesterday, 06:11 AM
I was at it again today. 4 hours in total. Wet sanded the hull to 1000 grit. Polished the plug and started preparations to mount the plug on a board for the mold making. Tomorrow I will work on the partition wall for the two mold halves.