May 14, 2017, 02:30 PM
Sanded and trued the frames. Started to fill with polystyren.

//Lars
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2017, 01:59 PM

US 26 Courageous

I think I can truly say that my shop is broke in now... First Australia II and now Courageous...

A lot of sanding tonight. About 4 hours, and a first coat of dry wall filler.

//Lars
May 18, 2017, 02:33 PM
Nice, very nice!!!!
Did you see this?
https://www.blocket.se/sodermanland/...68429.htm?sa=1

Best regards , Hasse.
May 18, 2017, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse.69
Nice, very nice!!!!
Did you see this?
https://www.blocket.se/sodermanland/...68429.htm?sa=1

Best regards , Hasse.
Hello Hasse,

Yes I saw that! Nothing for me I'm afraid. I'm sticking to my heavy 12mR's.

Great to hear from you. Two Swedes talking in an Australian forum. Pretty cool. The Courageous US 26 plug is a test. First time I use this method.
It's a lot more work than you anticipate... There are a lot of sanding still to be done, before the hull is right.

All the best,

Lars
May 18, 2017, 02:45 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Lars,

I'm following this thread with interest, I'm a 12M fan and sail a TT Voyager, a 1M model of the Australia II with an ABS hull.

Question: I know your boat is a lot bigger, but were you not tempted to change the wingkeel for a standard fin with bulb, to enlarge the window of windforce you can sail in comfortably?

Reason I ask, is that the first ABS hulls of my boat came with a wing keel too and were very light wind sailors.
My boat has a fin and bulb and can be sailed up to 5Bft (on sheltered water).

I would do the same for the Courageous; stretch the lines of the keel section so the draft becomes deeper (=ballast lower).

Regards, Jan.
May 18, 2017, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Hi Lars,

I'm following this thread with interest, I'm a 12M fan and sail a TT Voyager, a 1M model of the Australia II with an ABS hull.

Question: I know your boat is a lot bigger, but were you not tempted to change the wingkeel for a standard fin with bulb, to enlarge the window of windforce you can sail in comfortably?

Reason I ask, is that the first ABS hulls of my boat came with a wing keel too and were very light wind sailors.
My boat has a fin and bulb and can be sailed up to 5Bft (on sheltered water).

I would do the same for the Courageous; stretch the lines of the keel section so the draft becomes deeper (=ballast lower).

Regards, Jan.
Hello Jan,

What I have found with Australia II in this scale 1:10.6 is that the almost 18 kg of lead in the wing keel, makes it possible to sail the boat in winds up to 5-6 m/s. That is plenty for me. I'm planning a mold on Australia II in the fall, and once I have a mold, producing a boat with a fin+bulb is very easy.

Looking at Courageous, I'm not sure how to do yet. I want to make a scale hull, but might, like you said, have to add a deeper keel on it, to be able to sail it in heavier winds.

I have some restoration work coming up on the house, and if I get quiet here for a while, please have patience. I will be back. I love my model boats.

I will be sailing Australia II again this weekend. I have done some tweaks to the jib sheet system. Check out my YouTube page for videos.

All the best,

Lars
May 20, 2017, 09:00 AM
Something I will try this summer.
May 20, 2017, 04:46 PM

Beautiful Lars!

The most exciting thread to see!!!

Bravo

Dean
May 20, 2017, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derusha
The most exciting thread to see!!!

Bravo

Dean
My wife is working nights this weekend. It gives me a lot of play time.

I got this spinnaker and another bigger one, when I bought the 12mR S3 Sverige (America's Cup 1977 and 1980) used.

A wind puff capsized the boat... nothing broke. I hope to sail today. Car is loaded up, just drinking coffee and waiting for the wind.

//Lars
Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Sorry for bad videos. I was alone today, and had to sail the boat and take video at the same time.

I broke my sheet line today. The bent brass tubes I used instead of pulleys didn't cope with the large mainsail. I have two pulleys and will start converting tomorrow. On my YouTube channel, you can find some more video clips.

Australia II sailing for the third time. (0 min 48 sec)
Yesterday, 12:47 PM

more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsli68
Something I will try this summer.
do you have more details. How do you handle it (RC?)?
This is a bit like your spinnaker . :-)
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=LW2pFlRXyRg

please send us your rc solution.
thanks Matthias
Yesterday, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafwiloff
do you have more details. How do you handle it (RC?)?
This is a bit like your spinnaker . :-)
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=LW2pFlRXyRg

please send us your rc solution.
thanks Matthias
Hello Matthias,

This boat is a prototype, I use it to adjust the keel, rig, rudder etc. and get a boat that sails good. The spinnaker tryout this summer will only be a mock up. I don't plan to have servo motors to hoist and retrieve etc. I have a Scale 1:10 model of the 12mR Sverige. My version have 6 channels. I can adjust backstay, vang, mainsail, rudder, jib and a genua. I know that several guys sailed this model with a spinnaker already back in the early 80's.

The jib sheet is on the same continues loop as the main. I just put an extra pulley at the bow, and made a stainless steel self tailing jib rail out of a piece of dia 2,4 mm stainless steel welding rod. I can take some pictures and show you how I did it. My problem now is that, instead of using pulleys, I used brass tubing bent in a u shape... The force on the sheets was too great, worn through the tubing and cut my sheet line. I will have to replace the tubing with pulleys.

//Lars
Today, 02:31 PM
I ordered two of these today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361491317884...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will replace the u shaped brass tubings on Australia II with those deck blocks.

And sanded the Courageous plug. Dusted some black paint and added filler to the low spots. I'm out with customers tomorrow, but we have a four day weekend coming up. I hope to do some more work on the plug during the weekend.

The plug is slowly but surely getting there, but there is still a lot of sanding, filler, sanding filler... you get the drift.

//Lars
Today, 04:40 PM

Catching Up

Lars

You amaze me how fast you get things done! I'm much slower than you but getting there now.

A coat of gold paint and she starts to look like Kookaburra 2!